WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakesurfing (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87668)
-   -   The new Inland Surfer Flyboy is SICK!!! (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789610)

ReSession 08-15-2011 6:17 PM

The new Inland Surfer Flyboy is SICK!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a few early reviews of the Flyboy got buried in some of the 'still waiting for mine to show up' threads so I thought I'd take a minute (or 10) and talk about riding the new Inland Surfer Flyboy!

This board is SUPER light (5 lbs!) and so much fun to ride...it literally brings a smile to the face of whoever's riding it and you witness and feel instant progression! Whether you're just dropping the rope or a super slaysher, this board MUST be in your quiver! I've landed my biggest airs on it the first day I rode it (2 weeks ago) and the thing spins on a dime, even with 2 huge 5 degree fins & 2 smaller Thruster fins...if you fall back in the wave, you can pump and catch up so quick so it's the epitome of a hybrid surf/skim board!

It's a fighter jet on the water, and as opposed to riding with my weight forward & wider stance as I do with the Shred Stixx Custom Hazen, I find myself riding with all my weight back, like you would on a deep powder day on your snowboard (sorry skiers, you just wouldn't understand!). And with just a small shift of weight forward, you're rocketing towards the boat and can POP out of the wave with huge airs!

I wrote a ton more about the Flyboy review on my site, along with a video of the first ride (also posted on YouTube)

A little about me: I've been surfing for 4 seasons behind my 2006 Ski Supreme V220 (and you may have read my previous post under Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles about just pulling the trigger on a new Supreme V226!

I'm a decent rider and like to share my opinions on riding different boards since the sport is so new and there's so many types of boards out there...surf, skim & hybrid (which I consider something like the Flyboy to be). I also teach everyone how to surf myself whenever we have a new rider.

My quiver currently consists of a:
> 2011 Shred Stixx Custom Elevation (carbon rails & center stringer)
> 2010 Shred Stixx Custom Hazen
> 2011 Inland Surfer Mucus
> 2009 Inland Surfer Moss
> 2009 Inland Surfer Blue Lake

Happy to answer any questions!

Greg

22vdrive 08-15-2011 6:28 PM

Greg do you prefer your flyboy over your shredstixx elevation carbon model? Also how does the carbon elevation compare to the non carbon railed and stringer board?

jdhart73 08-15-2011 6:42 PM

Nice writeup Greg, looks like a great board! What kind of prices are we talking if I can ask?
Also, what sizes does the board come in?

ReSession 08-15-2011 6:47 PM

Right now, I have a huge woody for the Flyboy (and no one's paying me to say this, it's just my opinion!) - The Shred Stixx Custom Hazen is this year's Elevation (if that makes sense). We ordered one of the first custom Elevations (paid the extra $75 or something to get the custom lime green color). It's been a great board, but as some have mentioned (or done), it's hand-laid fiberglass and can definitely crack/splinter...especially if it's being handled by United Airlines baggage loaders! With that said, the Elevation has been a great board. While waiting for the new Flyboy, I kinda got pissed and called the guys at Inland and got a little lippy...but hey, I understand they wanted to get the board right and were bummed they couldn't get it out the door sooner. Anyway, I ordered a new Custom Hazen and Rusty was awesome at hooking me up with Nick and getting the board shaped before flying out to Australia, so big props to the SS Crew for helping a guy out (my other buddy who actually bought this board last year bought a 2010 Super Air Nautique, so I had to give it up!).

The new 2011 Custom Hazen is lighter than the Elevation (the Elevation is 7.8lbs vs the Hazen @ 5.8 lbs since it's custom shaped) - you can see the biggest difference in the hammerhead vs. tapered nose of the Hazen, along with the full-length grab rails. The Hazen is also 'squirley-er' than the Elevation, due to slightly smaller fins in the rear vs. the Hazen. I've actually been thinking about upgrading those 2 fins as they seem to have a slight wiggle to them? Airs improved from the Elevation to the Hazen as well, due to the difference in weight. Spins also take more leg power, and you need to rock the nose forward to pull the fins out of the water a bit (the rocker in the board allows this to happen without pearling the nose as easy). The board is super solid, and a completely different ride than the Flyboy. If you're considering one over the other, start with the production model Hazen or Elevation and work your way up. You can check out my review of the Hazen on my site as well.

ReSession 08-15-2011 6:55 PM

Thanks Jake! Towanza has them listed for $799...not sure if they have them in stock or not?

It's a one-size-fits-125-to-185lb-board (in my crew at least!), but I no have no clue if there's plans to go bigger?

ilikebeaverandboats 08-15-2011 6:58 PM

how would you compare the FlyBoy to the Elevation? I have last years elevation and im really playing with the idea of getting the flyboy next season....

Im particularly interested in durability and how the ride of the boards differ.

ReSession 08-15-2011 7:47 PM

Joey C - if you already have the Elevation I'd recommend the Flyboy for sure! I used to ride the 2009 Inland Surfer Sweet Spot but replaced it with the Elevation last year since we were getting better airs. I certainly don't have the Elevation/Custom Hazen mastered by any means, but I find the skimmy playfulness of the Flyboy combined with the ability to pump and catch back up to be more fun vs the Elevation. The past 4 times I've been out in the past 2 weeks, I've only rode the Hazen 2 times...I feel like I'm cheating on Chase, but Flyboy will get you hooked! I'I'm not a pump artist either but could use a few days just focusing on that to improve my skills...with that said if you check out the YouTube video, you'll see me dive the nose on the Flyboy @ :26 and watch me fall back and catch back up while flapping like a retarded seagull!

Believe it or not, my buddy jettisoned the Flyboy into the back of the swim platform the 3rd day we were riding it trying to land a 3...the tip barely chipped and I got the Dremel out, ground it down, and was gonna epoxy it but it's really more of a blemish than anything (but I'll probably fix it up and sand it down in a few weeks). The material doesn't seem as 'dense' or plastic-y as their other boards...more glassy, not fiberglass but something in-between! It's really light, you'll be amazed! If you pull it straight down into the water by the nose and let it go, it will fly up into the air 10'...just watch out for the fins raining down on your head :)

It's also a different riding style...weight forward and wider stance on the Elevation (for me), vs the weigh-back floaty feeling with the Flyboy. I've had about 7 riders on the board so far and other than my girlfriend (who's still liking the Inland Surfer Moss skim style), everyone yells "This board is sick!" and start ripping better than they were riding. I'm at the top of my crew as far as wakesurfing skills go, but we've all got better on the Flyboy.

The one thing I don't do is let beginners ride the Hazen or Elevation - it's a true surf-style board and will just buck off riders not used to 4-finned boards!

johnboyy7 08-15-2011 8:54 PM

i just got the new IS flyboy. it really is fun. after riding it i told my buddy "its makes a lot more sense how the pros ride like they do after riding this" and "this thing is unbelievable bouyant."

for me, it took alittle getting used to and felt a bit squirely but after getting the feel.... man oh man is it fun to shred on. im working on my airs and cant wait. ive only been out twice.

22vdrive 08-18-2011 8:13 AM

Another thumbs up for the flyboy! I got to ride johnboyy7's flyboy yesterday and all I can say is wow! That thing is incredible fast, it made my shred stixx feel like a mini van and the flyboy felt like a high end sports car. It's pretty much like Greg described you are having to put content pressure on the back leg just to keep it at bay. Falling back was tricky at first but once I was back it was a couple easy smooth pumps and vroom back in the pocket. I'm definitely going to add this board to my quiver. I wonder how they made it so fast; is it because the board is quite stiff? Also are the fins removable; I don't recall checking. John thanks for coming out yesterday and letting me ride your board and also for helping me create the biggest wave on my boat yet!

ilikebeaverandboats 08-18-2011 9:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReSession (Post 1701590)
Joey C - if you already have the Elevation I'd recommend the Flyboy for sure! I used to ride the 2009 Inland Surfer Sweet Spot but replaced it with the Elevation last year since we were getting better airs. I certainly don't have the Elevation/Custom Hazen mastered by any means, but I find the skimmy playfulness of the Flyboy combined with the ability to pump and catch back up to be more fun vs the Elevation. The past 4 times I've been out in the past 2 weeks, I've only rode the Hazen 2 times...I feel like I'm cheating on Chase, but Flyboy will get you hooked! I'I'm not a pump artist either but could use a few days just focusing on that to improve my skills...with that said if you check out the YouTube video, you'll see me dive the nose on the Flyboy @ :26 and watch me fall back and catch back up while flapping like a retarded seagull!

Believe it or not, my buddy jettisoned the Flyboy into the back of the swim platform the 3rd day we were riding it trying to land a 3...the tip barely chipped and I got the Dremel out, ground it down, and was gonna epoxy it but it's really more of a blemish than anything (but I'll probably fix it up and sand it down in a few weeks). The material doesn't seem as 'dense' or plastic-y as their other boards...more glassy, not fiberglass but something in-between! It's really light, you'll be amazed! If you pull it straight down into the water by the nose and let it go, it will fly up into the air 10'...just watch out for the fins raining down on your head :)

It's also a different riding style...weight forward and wider stance on the Elevation (for me), vs the weigh-back floaty feeling with the Flyboy. I've had about 7 riders on the board so far and other than my girlfriend (who's still liking the Inland Surfer Moss skim style), everyone yells "This board is sick!" and start ripping better than they were riding. I'm at the top of my crew as far as wakesurfing skills go, but we've all got better on the Flyboy.

The one thing I don't do is let beginners ride the Hazen or Elevation - it's a true surf-style board and will just buck off riders not used to 4-finned boards!

Man, reading this really makes me want one. To bad the only boards shops carry in AZ are LF, hyperlite, and ronix. I havent come across any shops with just wakesurfers.

Any one in AZ riding a flyboy yet?

surffresh 08-18-2011 10:34 AM

Let me second that (this thread). I had a Russian wakesurfer riding with us the past 2 weeks and they asked if I could get them a Flyboy and they would be here for a month. I got lucky and was able to get an original none Inland one here before they left. It was only used a few times and was in great shape. The Russian rides goofy and is always in a hurry to get back to Disney / family and I ride regular. So they offered or begged for me to try it out, in an effort to save time I rode goofy and all I can say is that I have never ridden goofy so well, the board is super responsive, you only have to think of going here or there and off ya go, very speedy and so I have to have one in the QVR ASAP. The thing is crazy good and I'm sure Inland did a nice job with the new ones. Kudos Jeff Walker and I am kicking myself that I did not ride it when you were here!

cowwboy 08-18-2011 1:35 PM

I just wish they would make a version for us taller / bigger guys.

ragboy 08-18-2011 1:47 PM

I am sure RJ would love to see a 4.7 or 4.8. Dennis and I were watching him last night on his 4.10 Jetty, he really likes a wide stance, and the kid has just grown like a weed.

surffresh 08-18-2011 2:08 PM

as some of you know.....I ain't small or skinny...about 6' 210 , a bigger one would be nice though