WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Snowboarding (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11975)
-   -   hey snowboarders (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=800157)

jhartt3 10-06-2013 3:39 PM

hey snowboarders

i'm new to it and going to spend some time at the local slope to get used to it. i just thru down a chunk of change on this. was this a good deal and will this work for a new rider? I'm 6'4 and anywhere from 200 -220 with a size 13 foot.

thanks ahead of time

link
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Burton-Canyo...item27d671238e

simplej 10-06-2013 4:01 PM

uhhhhh....
not sure how to deal with this question.

jhartt3 10-06-2013 4:09 PM

bad decision?

simplej 10-06-2013 5:09 PM

IMO yes, massively over priced, too big a board, very old equipment

jhartt3 10-06-2013 7:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I bought this BC it has a return policy so I can cancel before I pay. What board and setup would you recommend for me under 200 would be good. I can shop for a while for a deal.

SS_Hooke102 10-06-2013 8:30 PM

under 200 for a complete set up is a little optimistic if you are looking for gear that is going to be decent. Not trying to be a jerk in anyway, it just is a semi-expensive sport to get into. I would suggest a 160 with traditional bindings (strap over the toes and ankle) really any of these will work. Boots are boots in the snowboard world in my opinion, as long as they fit. The biggest things to look at are the base of the snowboard, are there any gouges or big scratches, are the edges rusted? if the answer is yes to any of those i would steer away other wise for the level you are riding, I wouldn't be overly concerned about tech. If you really get into it you can drop some money on some solid gear later.

jhartt3 10-09-2013 1:04 PM

Thoughts on a 2008 ride Fleetwood with binding for 150ish? Its a 161cm

ATB0713 10-09-2013 1:11 PM

i spent like 300 for brand new gear last season. So unless this is brand new gear, i would return it.

shorewake 10-09-2013 1:20 PM

That board looks ancient. And Burton is generally extremely high priced. Many other brands out there will give you just as good of a ride for a way smaller price tag. check out whiskeymilitia.com make an account and go into the private stash. You have to check this site daily though. In the private stash a section will come up for approx 6 days then will be gone until the next time around (usually a week or so). The snowboard gear section should come up again soon. Everything on this site is left over gear from last year. Awesome deals on clothing. Snowboard gear prices are similiar to what you will find in a shop this time of year only difference is the selection on this site is much larger. I do not recommend buying boots online what so ever. Boots are crucial and can make or break a day of snowboarding and you should have them fitted in a shop.

How I explained the site may be a little confusing but once you get on, make an account and look around you'll understand.

jhartt3 10-09-2013 2:04 PM

I gor t what you explained. I found a 2008 ride Fleetwood for around 150 with bindings. Its a 161. Is that a good board or has technology advanced a lot since then.

10-09-2013 4:47 PM

This all depends on how you plan to use your board. I know your new but in the end what do you want to do? Free ride, park, kickers, rails, or maybe a little of everything. Personally for some one that 6'4 @ 220 I would recommend the K2 WWW (world wide weapon) wide. You'll be fine on the 157 and could easily drop to a 155. You don't have to have a long board due you your height. I'm 6'2 @ 200 and ride a 153 Rome park board. The K2 is a great board, durable, rides loose and has decent pop. These guys run about 400 new. Just buy it new and save the hassle of picking up someones broken down board. also at this stage, any bindings will do. but typically the higher end ones have better ratcheting functions.

BUT IF YOU SPEND ANY BIG MONEY, SPEND IT ON YOUR BOOTS. THEY WILL MAKE OR BREAK YOUR DAY ON THE MOUNTAIN.

Check out Rome, Lib tech and Captia. There all great brands will killer gear.

Therapy10 10-10-2013 9:46 AM

So I'm in the same place as the OP, I'd like to get a setup but haven't rode steady in 10+ years so I don't need anything spectacular but don't want a hydroslide equivalent snowboard. If you were to get a cheap set up from this website what would it be? I like the park but spend more time on the mountain cruising. Thanks http://www.evo.com/outlet-shop/snowboard.aspx

ilboarder12 10-10-2013 10:12 AM

"BUT IF YOU SPEND ANY BIG MONEY, SPEND IT ON YOUR BOOTS. THEY WILL MAKE OR BREAK YOUR DAY ON THE MOUNTAIN."
^ this is the best advice for someone looking into buying new gear, it doesn't matter how "good" your board/binders are if your feet are sore, cramped, or cold. If there is a local shop go in and try on as many as you can then buy the ones that fit the best. As for cheap boards/binders, sometimes craigslist is a great bet for deals on slightly used gear

Dmac420sj 12-02-2013 4:41 PM

Go to your local store and try everyone of there boots on until you find the ones you want then go online and try to find last years model. You'll save about 50%. That guys that is riding a 153 @6'2 is riding a kid board,IMO. I'm 5'8 and ride a stiff 158 but that's cuz I don't ride freestyle I bomb and get in to deep pow as much as possible but then of course will bust out the fish! But that's a whole other story:) IMO 160 will be fine with you but I'd think you would want to look for a "w"(wide) w/your big ole foot!you can get models from last year for 50% off all day brand new just search. Good luck. Oh ya 13 size boots won't fit in large bindings,not good at least you need xl

dvsone79 12-18-2013 12:14 PM

OP: I'd stick to a deck that is 160cm - 164cm. Any shorter would be ok only if it specifies it is a WIDE model. With those Sasquatch size 13 feet, if the board is too narrow then you'll have too much toe/heel overhang and may be dragging that shiz through the snow when you're on edge.

Also, I couldn't agree more with the boot advice that several others have mentioned. Buy those in a shop, or at least get fitted for some and then buy them online. That can make or break a setup. Also Burton boards are way overpriced. Go with ride or K2 if you want a good price, and if you want real quality decks, Never Summer or Lib Tech. Gnu also makes decent boards. For bindings, Ride or Union or Flow (I don't care for Flow bindings but some people swear by them). And boots: Vans, 32, K2, and Ride. Don't get me wrong, Burton makes ok gear, but its just ok, yet it's always priced like its the best when it is far from the best in most cases.

dvsone79 12-18-2013 12:17 PM

OP: I'd stick to a deck that is 160cm - 164cm. Any shorter would be ok only if it specifies it is a WIDE model. With those Sasquatch size 13 feet, if the board is too narrow then you'll have too much toe/heel overhang and may be dragging that shiz through the snow when you're on edge.

Also, I couldn't agree more with the boot advice that several others have mentioned. Buy those in a shop, or at least get fitted for some and then buy them online. That can make or break a setup. Also Burton boards are way overpriced. Go with ride or K2 if you want a good price, and if you want real quality decks, Never Summer or Lib Tech. Gnu also makes decent boards. For bindings, Ride or Union or Flow (I don't care for Flow bindings but some people swear by them). And boots: Vans, 32, K2, and Ride. Don't get me wrong, Burton makes ok gear, but its just ok, yet it's always priced like its the best when it is far from the best in most cases.