WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Viper smart start on my 2001 F250 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786816)

dave27 04-07-2011 8:10 AM

Viper smart start on my 2001 F250

My truck got broken into a couple of weeks ago so I decided to install a Viper alarm. Especially since I leave the truck in the parking lot for hours on end when I'm out on the water. Anyway, with the new Viper alarm with remote start. I can start/lock/unlock the truck with my phone and also get alerts when the alarm goes of. This is all really cool. The new problem is that the system requires my spare (second key) to be installed some where in the truck. It is a PAT II key or what the call a transponder key. So now I am down to one key. From what I read I need a professional locksmith to add a key or take it to the dealer and have the reflash and program for new keys. Both option look like they will be about $150. Anyone know how to do this on your own or know a locksmith in the San Jose area that will help me out. By the way I really want to add 2more keys, so then I will have 3 working keys. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

frosty2469 04-07-2011 8:16 AM

I can't help you with the programming, but I put a Viper in my old Tahoe, and loved being able to start it, and get the A/C going, from like a 1/4 mile or better away!
And the 2-way confirmation was a bonus.
With the large interior, it always took awhile to cool off, even with 2x A/C units, here in Houston.
When I got to the truck, it was always cooled off nice.

dave27 04-07-2011 10:36 AM

Yup, so far it is really cool. I love that the iPhone app will work from any iphone or ipad too. Now I just need to figure out a resonalble price to get a second and third key.

jonyb 04-07-2011 10:52 AM

There's a procedure for adding another key, but it requires all of the originals. It's all over the net, I've done it a few times for customers. On the other hand, I always use Idatalink modules for my customers' remote start installs and they're module allows you to keep all the keys, not losing 1 under the dash. Should be the ADS-TB from Idatalink.com. PM me if you need more info. I have a few in stock.

04-07-2011 12:18 PM

I don't have smart start but do have remote start and alarm. And my original keys. My dad put one in his old range and remote start wouldn't work without key like u said. Call a viper dealer.

dave27 04-07-2011 1:25 PM

I see how to add a key if I had both. But I don't have both. So I am acting like I have only one key. I don't want to take it to the dealer and have them flash the computer to get me new keys. Because then the remote start key won't work. I heard about the idatalink, but my installer said it doesn't work well with Diesels. So I called one mobile locksmith and he wants $150 bucks to add a key for me. OUCH

04-07-2011 5:42 PM

Sounds reasonable. My install cost a fortune. Best money ever spent. Works in summer and winter and if u really want can do aux functions. Just read an article about a car thief who can steal any car with any alarm including a maybach with his laptop

882001 04-07-2011 7:23 PM

2001 f250 doesnt have a chipped key thats why they are stolen so often

saberworks 04-07-2011 8:11 PM

I have a 2000 expedition and it has the special keys as well. If you have 2 keys you can program them yourself! I bought OEM Ford keys off ebay and they came with step-by-step instructions to program them. You have to take them to a locksmith to get them cut which only costs $15 or so. I didn't have any problems. Same with the FOB you can buy one off ebay OEM Ford for 20-30 bucks and program it yourself if you have 2 working ones already. If you only have one key or one fob you can't do it, you need to hook up a computer to the car.

Also, call the locksmiths in your area, even if you need to have it done on a computer they can be more than 1/2 off the price at the dealer. Get prices including the key and if you bring your own key. They charge 60 bucks or something for the key when you can get OEM Ford on ebay for cheap. Pick a seller with 99%+ ratings.

882001 04-08-2011 4:54 AM

excursions do superdutys dont,!! my old 150 did but again super dutys dont

dave27 04-08-2011 7:55 AM

My key is a PAT II key. 882001, why do you think it is not?

882001 04-08-2011 2:59 PM

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...83/index2.html
looks like the harley trucks have them. did they make a harley in 02?

882001 04-08-2011 5:32 PM

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/72...ip-in-key.html
wow wrong link on the first one

liquidmx 04-08-2011 6:15 PM

Dave, did your truck get broken into at Anderson or Calero? I ride there a lot and have never heard of cars being broken into...so I am really curious.

dave27 04-08-2011 6:53 PM

Ok, 882001, I will buy the correct ford key and then cut it myself and check it out and see if it works. That way Im only out $30 bucks. This is what I read from the post link you put up. By the way, I want to believe it also so I can save dollars, but if you are correct, then I spent to much on the alarm, ooops.

"The 99-07 Ford Super Duty trucks do not have the PATS system. Doesn't matter if it's XL, XLT, Harley or King Ranch, it doesn't have it. The keys for the Harley Davidson Super Duties used the same mold as the key for the Harley Edition F150, so they are thicker, but they don't have the chip inside them. I will send anyone here $5 if they can't get a normal Super Duty key cut for their truck to work in their ignition.

PATS system is available in the 08 up Super Duty and in the Excursion, so my claim doesn't apply to them. "

M-dizzle, my truck got broken into in front of my house. Just radom I think. I hope.

882001 04-08-2011 7:11 PM

the key for my truck was 3$ not 30$. i drive a 2000

jonyb 04-08-2011 8:49 PM

1 way to tell is if the black plastic part of the key is larger then normal. Also, there should be some sort of security light on the dash that stays lit while starting. The light is extinguished any other time.

I PM'd you back on that part, but it sounds like you may not need it. Pull the belly pad off of the truck under the steering wheel. If there's a key under there, it should be in a black box. You can look to see of there's a ring around the ignition cylinder with wires going to it. Unplug it, start with key. If it doesn't start and the light on the dash flashes, it has PATS. If no PATS, there won't be a ring, or a harness.

dave27 04-08-2011 9:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So based on what 882001 told me, I started looking at ebay for keys. What I found was the if you search for a 2001 F250 key the results show that it is a transpoder key. But my key looks nothing like the transponder keys that come up. I do not have a security light on my dash that I have ever seen. By the way my key looks like this.

That key pictured, I believe is a non transponder key. So base on the fact that I start my truck with that key, I don't have a PATS system. Even though the internet states I do.

dave27 04-08-2011 9:46 PM

John, the alarm installer said its way up in the dash somewhere where you have to remove dash parts. Which I can do but I don't want to risk breaking tabs. But now that I don't think I need the alarm key box, shouldn't I have the alarm guys take it out, just for relieabilty reasons?

Tomorrow I will go buy a key and cut it and check if it works. My bet is yes it does. Ill keep you guys posted. Any by the way, thanks.

scheersound 04-08-2011 10:17 PM

Dave I have the programmer and can program the key for you. If you buy the keys on line or I can order them for you. I can get you the keys at cost and program for free if you don't mind driving to vallejo. Drop me a line and we can discuss further

chas 04-08-2011 10:45 PM

Dave,
Who ever did your install used the wrong mod. DEI (Viper) makes a couple different mods that you don't have to use the second key. The one you have will work fine, it just waist an expensive key.

chas 04-08-2011 10:48 PM

Also, any time you are going to use a mod that requires a key to be left in the mod you should always have a new key programmed but not cut. That way if some one does get in your truck and finds the mod at least the key won't work in the ignition.

dave27 04-09-2011 9:25 AM

I totally agree with you Charles.

I went to Orchard this moring and had a key cut (non-transponder) Tried the key in the ignition, and it works. I still can't believe what so called (professionals) tell you. I did my homework, wish they did too.

dave27 04-09-2011 9:27 AM

Steve, thaks for the help, but now all I need to do is go back to the alarm install place and ask them to retreive my key and take out that extra box thingy DEI.

Again thanks for all your help. Now, I will order a spare key for my wifes car and program it myself before I lose one of the original two.

saberworks 04-09-2011 9:49 AM

Yeah that key looks nothing like mine. Mine is much fatter and has a little box on the end that you can pry out and find some circuit board or something (it fell out once when I dropped the key).

chas 04-09-2011 9:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Most ford trucks/cars in your year model with what we call a pill in the key look like this.