WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Looking for help with decision... (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797685)

nautigirls 04-16-2013 9:03 PM

Looking for help with decision...

First of all I wish I could change name because my husband is embarrassed. Anyway finally narrowed,choice between two boats. Malibu MXZ 22 or supra SA. Both same length and motor size. We have demo'd both and the wakeboarding wake went to to thenSA and the surf wake went slightly to malibu. The supra doesn't have surf gates but we don't really care because we don't surf all that much. My husband likes all the added things on the supra. I like both boats. Any pros or cons for either would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

chpthril 04-16-2013 9:16 PM

1st off, I do not own and never owned a Malibu or Supra. But, I have surfed an MXZ (non-surfgate though) and seen the wake-board wake a number of times. I find it interesting that you liked the SA wake-board wake better and the MXZ surf wake better. I have absolutely nothing negative to say about either boats, but would be curious to know how each was setup for each sport.

Also, what was on the SA that is not an option on the MXZ?

nautigirls 04-16-2013 9:48 PM

Both had 2000 lbs ballast and about 500 lbs lead. The SA had the mood lighting, electric height adjustment drivers seat. Reversing seating so you can watch whoever is boarding without turning neck(not that big of deal) and smart plate. The MXZ had the power wedge. My husband thought the upholstery was better on the SA. That is all I can think of now. Thank you.

beretta5spd 04-16-2013 9:50 PM

My question is which dealer do you like better? In my neck of the woods I would go Malibu ten times out of ten just because I like the dealer so much. When everything else is so close it might be the question that would sway you one way or another.

nautigirls 04-16-2013 10:14 PM

Good point Dwight. Another point towards the SA. Looks like I'm losing so far. :)plus the dealer is giving $3000 more for trade in.

dezul 04-17-2013 3:33 AM

I am a fan of the power wedge so that is where my vote goes. I doubt you would be disappointed with either.

chattwake 04-17-2013 4:54 AM

I'm not going to rehash all of the thoughts that I expressed in the last SA vs. MXZ thread, but I will say that I feel that resale value may weigh in favor of the malibu. Just my opinion. I am a Malibu owner.

chattwake 04-17-2013 4:55 AM

At the end of the day, you guys need to buy the boat that suits you best. If you like the SA best, get it. A great dealer relationship is also very important. I'm glad to hear you are factoring that in.

If you don't mind me asking, which malibu dealer are you working with? I asked this question to the op who started the other thread and never got an answer.

tyler97217 04-17-2013 7:14 AM

I can't speak for the MXZ. I have only been in one in the showroom. Of course we all know Malibu makes a great boat. I did get to demo the SA and was completely impressed. Different boat than I have ever seen from Supra in terms of interior, handling and a massive wake. As Chatt said above.....At the end of the day you really need to go with the boat that best suits you guys. A good dealer can really make or brake your experience when you spend that kind of money.
You can't go wrong with these choices.

oldstv 04-17-2013 7:41 AM

I just bought the MXZ22 " did not look at the SA" sorry, but I can speak of how important a good dealer is. This past weekend was our second time out with the boat and ran into a stumbling block with how the cruise works. I picked up the phone at 3:00 on a Saturday and got my dealer on his cell phone. He quickly answered my question and all was good. That makes me feel good about my purchase with him for sure. A good boat can become a bad purchase with poor support.

kimper 04-17-2013 7:48 AM

Sounds like both boats are close contenders for you guys so some things to ask are:

Warranty specifics:
Length of warranty and specifically what is covered. Make sure to ask about stereo components and ballast pumps/timers and other electronics. That is the most common stuff to break and you need to make sure your dealer will fix it happily and QUICKLY.

More service questions:
Will they come to your boat and fix stuff if you are on a lift or too busy to bring boat in. What do they charge for this?
When is first service due and what does it cost? Would they be willing to throw in the first service for free?
Again time frame for them to accomplish warranty work!

Good luck!

jarrod 04-17-2013 10:56 AM

I cannot speak for the SA. I haven't ridden or even seen one in person. I am about to take delivery on my second Malibu MXZ22 though, which is my 4th Malibu. We've been very happy with the Malibu boats. Everything about them is top notch, from the wake to the overall driveability and handling. The dealer support has also been awesome. I love the luxurious feeling interior, and all of the touch screen controls. Malibu invests in our local events which has made them a great company to work with. We also love the powerwedge. That's like adding or dropping 1000 pounds in 5 seconds.

BigMack 04-17-2013 11:23 AM

We bought the SA over the Malibu. Ours is supposed to either arrive today or tomorrow. I don't agree with the resale values going for the Malibu. I test drove both of them and frankly the SA handled better on the water in my opinion and had more torque coming out of the gate. We test drove both the 350's for the SA and the Malibu. The interior seems to be built better on the SA than the Malibu and I felt like I was sitting on the floor board in the Malibu. The wakeboard wake seemed much more crisper and wasn't rolling over as much compared to the Malibu.

Good Luck in your choice. Whats the price difference?

jarrod 04-17-2013 11:42 AM

The resale argument might depend on where you are. The Supra is a less sought after brand in our area. You would have a harder time selling the Supra in the California Delta area, and might take a hit as a result. Especially now. Mastercraft and Malibu are the strongest supported brands i our area.

And I have never seen a Malibu wake roll over. Just saying! Maybe you're talking about surfing which I have no experience with. Or maybe this was a speed / stern weight thing. Malibu wakes are known for being clean, very far back even, and at slow speeds.

CHern5972 04-17-2013 11:45 AM

Id opt for the SA. HAving owned a malibu and a supra id buy the SA. Both are fine boats and have similar features. I like the wake better on the Supra myself. I had the opportunity to load one up and it was killer. Love the interior, the dash lay out and pretty much everything about the Supra. To me our local Supra dealer is awesome people. They treat people great and have always been great to deal with. I say get the SA

jcon44 04-17-2013 12:57 PM

I would go to the Malibu dealer and tell him why you are leaning toward the Supra. Who Knows they may remedy some of the extra's the Malibu is lacking and make it an ever harder decision. I guess this isn't really helping much. The height adjustable seat is one thing Bu's don't have that i know many people long for. I'm sure you are enjoying having to make such a horrible decision. :)

CarZin 04-17-2013 1:35 PM

I owned a Supra 21V. It was a good boat, but a lot of design issues would lead me to NOT buy a Supra. Some really badly thought out things in the boat. Issues with swim platform and swim platform vibrations (common issue) and gel coat cracks around the mounts. issues with ballast system (poorly designed on my boat caused repeat replacements of modules and pumps- I am sure they have improved this). The pull up seats are easily broken (not anchored into sturdy material). Some fit and finish issues. Most of the brackets on our boat for things like the rear compartment and pull up seats werent stainless and corroded.

While never owned a Malibu, I have loved everyone I have been in. Think Malibu is superior in most ways. I just purchased a new Enzo, but we could have gone Malibu and been very happy.

Not saying supra makes a bad boat. But we just spent 85k on an Enzo, and I didn't even walk into the Supra dealership. Would have entertained malibu, but my wife hates how they look (personally, I love them). With that said, on the Enzo one thing I definitely miss from the Supra is the deeper seats. Very comfortable.

jarrod 04-17-2013 2:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
our new MXZ. Heading out for a water test, and then custom vinyl.

nautigirls 04-17-2013 6:04 PM

Well after all that we bought a new super air natique 230 with the NSS. Sorry I didn't wait to start thread. I apologize. My other half is really excited and it is a super boat. Great for wakeboarding and surfing. Better resale according to my husband. The dealer is adding all LEDs inside. It will be beautiful. Any thoughts let us know. Will post pictures when we pick it up. Just need to change our name from nauti girls. LOL.

polarbill 04-17-2013 6:11 PM

Wait, no one got a chance to ask if you have taken a look at MB's yet. No fair.

Nordicron 04-17-2013 6:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautigirls (Post 1817303)
Well after all that we bought a new super air natique 230 with the NSS. Sorry I didn't wait to start thread. I apologize. My other half is really excited and it is a super boat. Great for wakeboarding and surfing. Better resale according to my husband. The dealer is adding all LEDs inside. It will be beautiful. Any thoughts let us know. Will post pictures when we pick it up. Just need to change our name from nauti girls. LOL.

Sweet! I think you made a very nice choice! 230 is a very nice boat! And with the NSS will be awesome for surfing if thats your thing.

As for your screen name I think Nautigirls I perfect!

Lastly I surely didn't expect this after your Mxz vs x25 thread! Please tell everyone why you chose the 230 over these.

nautigirls 04-17-2013 7:55 PM

Well I guess it came down to a well built boat that had a great wakeboard and surfing wake. The NSS was huge because everyone talking about surf gates and the NSS. Then it came down to which when putting it together we liked better. Finally the perfect storm of getting a great deal for the Nautique. The 230 is a good size and still looks great on the water. I don't like the G series but that is just for how it looks. Our dealer swears we will be back for a g23. LOL. Hope that answers your question Ron! :)

markj 04-17-2013 8:53 PM

That's hilarious! 24 hours after your original post, you guys decide to go with a totally different brand? Priceless... Enjoy. Not a bad choice.