WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Anyone been to Lake Lahontan, NV? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786157)

adambarry 03-01-2011 4:48 PM

Anyone been to Lake Lahontan, NV?

My family wants to do a camping expedition to a lake we have never been to this summer and thanks to google earth this one has become a contender, and I have never heard anything about it so... has anyone ridden there?
We are planning an August trip so I was wondering what the lakes temps were, how the conditions are, how is camping, the lake level in August tends to be.. that kind of thing.
We are also considering some Norcal lakes but since we are from the folsom area we have been to bullards, oroville, rollins, don pedro, and some other small ones so if anyone has some recommendations let me know! oh and also any other lakes near Minden,NV

Thanks
-Adam

blastmaster 03-03-2011 12:47 PM

Adam:
Topaz is on Hgwy 395. It is small and gets blown out farily easily. Water leave won't be a problem, campin is plentiful and the riding is good early Am or right before dark.
Lohatan gets blown out badly also and has muddy shorelines and shallow water around the edges but I have never ridden there .
I would lean more toward Shasta, Trinity, Bullards, Pedro,Melones,whiskey Town etc.. for late summer riding IMO.
rick

adambarry 03-04-2011 10:02 AM

Thanks for the info, I think we are heading toward Englebright or Bullards, we do a Bullards trip most years though so we are looking to go somewhere new. Thanks again!

guido 03-04-2011 10:20 AM

Hard to beat Bullards.

wakeboardertj 03-13-2011 4:13 PM

What about Little Grass Valley? Haven't been there myself but have always wanted to check it out.

shawndoggy 03-13-2011 4:40 PM

Lahontan is our "local" lake from Reno. It's shallow (20-80') and its brown and it's chock full of rural Nevada rednecks. Other than that it's awesome. Because it's shallow, it's warm. Even though it's at 4,000' the water will be 80 degrees in the August. On the weekends its a zoo, but midweek there will be nobody there. Like seriously nobody but a couple of alu fishing boats. When it starts getting below 130,000 acre feet there are some obstacles that come up, but above that, it's good. It's already at 140,000 (last year at this time it was under 100K), so chances are it will still be good in August.

It's basically split into two lakes with the "narrows" connecting them. The west side does get blown out more quickly, but it also has sand beaches with shoreline camping where you can take your RV / trailer right up to the waters edge. Pretty unique in that respect... but also sortof a redneck heaven on the weekends. It's straight up desert, so don't expect breathtaking scenery. There's very little shade along the shoreline (like none), so expect to bring your own shade structure if you go.

We usually launch on the east (Fallon) side of the lake, and stay on that side. Unlike Topaz, where it ALWAYS blows in the afternoon, Lahontan might get breezy but but some days not at all. Just depends.

There are no amenities at all. No gas on the water, no store, no nothing. There is a gas station about 10 miles from the ramp.

I really like lahontan because it's close and it's warm. But I'd way prefer Bullards on a good day.

hillbilly 03-13-2011 6:21 PM

Cheeseburger look up Stony Gorge, It is dry camping but they have shade and pit toilets.The only bad thing is it's free so plan on going up on a wed or thur tp get a good spot.

We are heading up there the first weekend of June if you want to roll up 1 day and check it out. Small lake but not a lot of wake boarders, There will be tubers midday but hit it early and just before dark and your $ !

Best thing is it's a super easy haul to get to. 1 little hill and that's it.

shawndoggy 03-19-2011 7:35 AM

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4098/...fdc09485_b.jpg

Weekday @ Lahontan