WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Victoria Slough (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=799711)

thor 08-26-2013 3:46 PM

Victoria Slough

I met up with some friends yesterday afternoon for a pleasant day of riding on the delta, but I left at the end of the day shaking my head at the stupidity of some of our fellow boaters. There seems to be very little boating ettiquette or regard for the safety of some riders on the water.

We were riding in Victoria Sough yesterday afternoon. It wasn't a very busy day on the water so there really wasn't any trouble finding good water. We tried to be courteous to the other boats in the area by not power turning and allowing boats to pass by before pulling our rider out of the water. Pretty common things to do when riding at the delta and the same things that 90% of the boats in the area do every weekend.

There are always exceptions to the rule though, and in this case, it was only one boat that continued to put his rider in danger as well as impede our pulls. Numerous times yesterday afternoon when travelling at speed with a rider in tow the same boat pulled up his rider directly in front of us in an effort to get the better water. I am fine with this tactic provided you allow enough space between the two boats so that my boat isn't half way up the other riders arse. The first time they jumped us, we had to stop our boat and drop our rider to allow their boat to get far enough ahead so that we wouldn't put their rider in danger of getting ran over if he fell. We chalked the first time up to the fact that perhaps they didn't see us coming.

After the second time this happened, we realized that they simply didn't know what they were doing. By the time that they got up to speed we were less than 100 feet behind their rider. The rider was freaked out and the people in the boat were giving us the finger and yelling at us for following to closely.

I am not sure what the other boat expected us to do. Were we supposed to stop mid pull to allow them to get up in front of us so that they could get the pristine water in front of us both?

We all want the best water for our ride, but the safety of our riders has to come first.

I realize that I am more than likely preaching to the choir, but I was pissed off yesterday for two reasons. First, the other boat put their rider in danger for no apparent reason other than they wanted to get the smooth water and second, because of their reaction toward us for following too closely.

Boating can be a lot of fun for everyone on the water, but it only takes one idiot to ruin the day and possibly the lives of everyone around them. Let's try to use a little common sense and common courtesy on the water and everyone will make it home safely and without incident.

davedidonato90 08-26-2013 4:53 PM

I hear you dude! We try to stay away from the river on weekends especially the long weekends. Last long weekend (in Canada) a boat capsized because multiple jet skiers were doing donuts right in front of the docks at a local public launch and dock. We ride thursday nights and the odd weekend to avoid that stuff. It seems once a weekend or long weekend hits, retards come out and the etiquette goes away. We have had people slow their boat down, driving 10 mph right by our boat about 15 ft away while we are picking our rider back up. It drives me nuts, it takes the relaxation of being out on the water with the guys and makes me soooo anxious and almost not enjoy the day(especially when the jet skiers ride over our wake and we have new riders, not even new riders but if we are trying new tricks and might fall, its just unsafe). All you have to do is try and be a respectful and courteous boater, and if someone is over the top unsafe, then let them know (at risk of being the fun police).

Any who, as you said preaching to the choir! And yea, it takes one idiot to ruin the fun. Just try to enjoy the time with you're friends, some good tunes, and thinking you're better than you really are (haha?). Try to ignore the *******s!

Shred on brother

migs 08-26-2013 10:28 PM

Insert 1 boat surfing at Vic's. GOODNIGHT

denystaucd 08-27-2013 8:45 AM

Happens all the time at the Vic's. Just have to plan well ahead and instruct your driver to drop if someone pulls up in front of you. Which I'm sure you guys know to do and understand the frustration. I think a lot of people are just out a few times a year, so when they hear ready (instead of looking around) they go. It's tough for the occasional boaters to feel safe in the delta, so I think the last thing their thinking is other peoples safety (unfortunately). I ride at 25mph and we have to wait for a while to get openings on the Vic's. All long as there's no wake-surfers in front of you the Vic's will give you great water, just wait out the knuckleheads and keep far from them.

Interestingly, I think the ski beachers have pushed the families to the Vic in the last year. As I see at least 3-4 single skiers and just as many kneeboarder on the Vic's. A few years ago that wasn't common, then again 15 years ago that was all you saw....But with the traffic going to the beach people are staying out of that area. I do see the sponsored riders at the Vic's are usually done by noon and headed back in, so that's probably a good way to avoid the impatient people.

Cheers,
DC

kikitlo 08-27-2013 10:29 AM

Had a black and white malibu with Pro80's doing that to me too. Minus the vulgar gestures.