WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Wakeboarding Discussion (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   No Obstacles For Nationals (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789163)

wakeworld 07-26-2011 7:49 PM

No Obstacles For Nationals

Looks like they aren't going to be able to put any hits in the water for Nationals because of the current. Do you think that will have an effect on the outcome? I'm guessing it won't.

kristian 07-26-2011 8:51 PM

I really would like to think it would, but I agree with you, I'm sure it wont.
All the guys who usually place top of the field in boat comps do similar tricks on the obstacles (ie: 270 transfer, etc,etc) its their wake tricks that set them apart.

Cisco 07-26-2011 9:46 PM

I think it will give Harley an edge cuz he has more hammers off the wake than Phil. I totally thought this was Harley's year. Good thing Phil is beating him on tour cuz I heard Harley has a big ego. Hard not to when your ridiculously talented, pushin a benz, and twitter friends with Beiber.

behindtheboat 07-26-2011 9:46 PM

it'll give Alliance something to complain about. Bash competitions, governing bodies, skiing for some reason, claim it's not a real board sport yet, etc.....

benjaminp 07-26-2011 10:05 PM

You know you've got it made when you're Twitter friends with the Biebs. But like English said, all that transfer box ever sees is a 270 to switch front board, its really not going to change much.

hawkeye7708 07-27-2011 8:27 AM

I think it may rattle a few cages in the earlier rounds where riders with more rail prowess may have been able to really gain back some points, but I think at the end of it all, unless there's some big upsets, the finals will probably shape out around the same. Can't wait to be there and check it out!

JohnM 07-27-2011 9:16 AM

Are the features weighted the same as wake moves?

The DRIVE format does go in to much depth other than rails can enhance the Risk and need to be hit for Variety.

What type of obstacle trick compare to say a well grabbed 7?

jeff_mn 07-27-2011 11:08 AM

Just got back from Nationals - Mens 1... Those guys were throwin down!! Lots of whirlies, batwings, a mobe, some 5's and one dude hucked a 9 and lost the handle..

No obstacles.. Conditions were blown out.. Conditions looking better for the rest of the week.

Apparently all of the event is streaming live on FB..

wakeworld 07-27-2011 12:09 PM

I think it will actually make it a better event from the spectator's perspective and I've said that for years. To me, the obstacles are a waste of time because the riders pretty much all do the same safe stuff on them. I don't blame the riders either. The reason they do that is because the judging format lets them get away with it. Either they should change the judging so that in encourages riders to get steezy on those rails or they should take them out of the way and give the riders more room to do wake tricks. But that's just me... :)

wspeedin 07-27-2011 1:40 PM

It is actually being streamed LIVE at http://www.livestream.com/kingofwake So check it out!
I watched the Adaptive Standing this morning and the conditions were horendous! Way to much wind and the river was flowing fast.

jeff_mn 07-27-2011 1:47 PM

^^ true story.. lots of chop, huge current

andy_nintzel 07-27-2011 2:09 PM

I have been in a bunch of comps on the river, the current is insane. You crash and move like 30-40 feet before the boat is back to you.

wakedad33 07-27-2011 3:14 PM

I can see it effecting Jr. pro men the most, D. Powers has been pretty domenet on the obsatacles, could level the playing field somewhat.

alevitt 07-27-2011 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeworld (Post 1696308)
I think it will actually make it a better event from the spectator's perspective and I've said that for years. To me, the obstacles are a waste of time because the riders pretty much all do the same safe stuff on them. I don't blame the riders either. The reason they do that is because the judging format lets them get away with it. Either they should change the judging so that in encourages riders to get steezy on those rails or they should take them out of the way and give the riders more room to do wake tricks. But that's just me... :)

With the redesigned transfer box, there's been a greater diversity in tricks than any other year. Sure, you still see a lot of 270 transfer to front boards, but guys like Adam E, Rathy, Bob Soven and Oli Derome are hitting it like an a frame with nosepresses, switch nosepresses, frontside bluntsides, etc all the way across the whole rail. If you look at the results, there's been a definite advantage for more tech tricks on the rails. Phil, Harley and Rusty all essentially do the same trick so not having obstacles helps them the most.