WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Rewiring boat (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797839)

Dmac420sj 04-28-2013 7:46 AM

Rewiring boat

So I'm running new battery wires (2under observer seat paraelled together then 1 starting battery in the rear starboard locker) also hooking up 2 bank perko and 2bank battery charger,also under observer seat 3 amps. So my question is with all my power wires,rcas,and speaker wires since I'm running everything from scratch I'm worried about running any particular wires close together and possibly getting interference. I've read that RCA and speaker together are ok but my battery location it is gonna be hard not to at least be in the same vicinity of power wires. So is there a certain distance I should try to stay away from ?also is crossing at 90• with RCA over power ok?any info is appreciated

shawndoggy 04-28-2013 7:50 AM

I'm not going to say it's a myth, but getting power line interference is really not all that likely if your power and ground runs for the stereo are clean. I'd certainly avoid zip tying an rca interconnect to a B+ cable off of your alternator, but everyone has power and signal cables in close proximity in their observer's compartment. Use good interconnects and get good ground and positive battery power and it just probably won't be an issue at all.

Dmac420sj 04-28-2013 8:04 AM

Shawn is there a distance that would make me even more safe? Obviously it's a lot of work and I'd hate to have to do it twice. My questions are kinda like measure twice cut once rule.

shawndoggy 04-28-2013 8:09 AM

best practice is to cross at 90 degrees. But that's not always possible. I've not had an issue with this in any of my last five installs, and on a couple there were somewhat long (2-3') parallel runs of RCA and power cable. Sometimes it just cannot be avoided. Just get good quality RCAs and my money would be on you being fine.

Dmac420sj 04-28-2013 8:16 AM

Thanks

04-28-2013 11:48 AM

If your batteries are mounted on the floor, the amps up on the wall, and the Head unit or audio source in the glove box or dash. Just run the power wires from the batteries to the amp down low. Then your RCA go up to the roof of the compartment then to the glove box or around the bow to the dash. Some boats have access to go straight to the bow under the walkway. I don't see why there would be any reason to have RCA close to the power wire.

Dmac420sj 04-28-2013 1:13 PM

I'm completely hiding all my wires as I'm kinda weird about "quality"so the closest hidden rout is what im after whicj would be some what the same path. How far away do RCA have to be from power to be safe from interference?

04-28-2013 6:23 PM

there really isn't a definite answer. I would just run the wires the way you can and see if it affects the signal. If you do get noise, it can be anything from a high pitch noise to what sounds like DJ mixing a record to sounding like a engine through the speakers.

If you finish everything and get no noise then call it done. If you do, You could try and insulate the RCA with some plastic wire loom or run it differently.

I used to be really into electric remote control cars and they used to sell these little rubber insulator rings that you wrap around the RCA and it somehow removes outside noise. It looked like a rubber o-ring but was orange in color. Don't ask me how but they worked.

Gnargnar 04-28-2013 7:03 PM

Iron choke will do that, RadioShack has em

Gnargnar 04-28-2013 7:35 PM

Or lead chokes