WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   Cloudy Oil? Could a dealer really say that isnt a big issue? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=798316)

Jn94defender 05-28-2013 1:20 PM

Cloudy Oil? Could a dealer really say that isnt a big issue?

Hello,

I wanted to hear peoples thoughts on the possibility of a dealer saying "it seemed like there may have been some clouding in the oil, but it WAS NOT a big issue and they just wanted to watch it. They did not feel that it was something that would affect the boats performance. According to XXX, it wasn't much of a concern at all"

Is that even possible? Seems like a pretty big deal to me and I would have wanted to know BEFORE I purchased a boat.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

boardman74 05-28-2013 2:42 PM

If there is enough water in the oil to cause it to be cloudy I would say that is a problem for sure. I'd want to know where it came from.

phatboypimp 05-28-2013 4:04 PM

That is an enormous problem for a variety of reasons.

Twill 05-28-2013 4:46 PM

Cloudy or milky?

hco 05-28-2013 5:34 PM

Ditto on what Tom said. Difference between dirty vs. milky. Still never a great thing though.

bftskir 05-28-2013 8:14 PM

Is there a difference between cloudy and milky? not really-just a difference in how much water is in the oil...there should not be any water in the oil.

I'd agree with the dealer as long as you get them to put in writing that they will replace your engine without much concern at all and that to do it won't be a big issue at all.

rallyart 05-29-2013 7:13 AM

There is a slight possibility that some cloudiness in the oil is from condensation that had accumulated over a long period of sitting. It should be gone after a couple hours of running at the very most and the oil should then just look like oil. Most likely it is a big problem that would require an engine rebuild because oil should just look like oil.

jeventures 05-29-2013 7:22 AM

Hopefully it is as Art said. I've not had it happen to my boat but one of my motorcycles tend to build a little condensation when it sits for too long....it burns off after the engine has run at temp for a good 10 minutes. Not an issue in that circumstance. Check the oil after its been running at temp...unless it's more white than oil...then change it...which I hope would be obvious even to the dealer.

burban89 05-29-2013 11:44 AM

Have any additives been added to the oil? I know some stop leaks can make the oil cloudy/milky.

wakebordr11 05-29-2013 12:31 PM

How about you post a picture of the oil so we can view cloudy vs. milky and can evaluate good vs. bad...

will5150 05-30-2013 8:32 AM

it's pretty simple- if the oil looks like chocolate milk, that's a HUGE problem-blown head gasket is the most likely culprit, or possible cracked block.

If the Oil is cloudy or more brown/black, that's a burning issue- probably a bad valve or ring that's going out. I'd take both seriously.

hco 05-30-2013 9:07 AM

Also, if you are going to spend 25k+ on a used boat from a dealer, I would expect them to put up some kind of warranty, 30-60 day engine/drive sort of thing. Nothing to cover amps, rips/tears, gel, or physical damage- but they should stand behind their mechanics.