WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Archive through October 28, 2007 (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=517108)
-   -   Mastercraft Black Cover Turning Cushions Black (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508283)

y49sides 10-04-2007 11:04 AM

Anyone else have issues with the stock Mastercraft black boat cover transferring color to the tops of all the cushions it has contact with? <BR>The boat is just 1 over a year old. I've tried all the recommended cleaning solutions from the dealer and nothing changes. <BR>Has anyone had the dealer replace them as warranty? <BR>Thanks in advanced.

partyb 10-04-2007 11:12 AM

I just noticed this on my boat yesterday. Have had the MC black cover for over a year though. However, this is the first time that I have not used the boat in like 3 weeks. Therefore, my personal experience is that it happens when you leave the cover on for awhile, and probably in the rain and heat. I'm in FL.

polarbill 10-04-2007 11:33 AM

I used to see it happen to the boats when people would tow with the cover on(I used to work at a MC dealer). Most of the time it was just dirt from the cover transfering to the vinyl. It usaully came off pretty easy. If your boat is just sitting thereand it happens and it is not coming off with a brush and cleaner maybe it is the black cover staining the seats. In that case I would hope MC would do something. Oh yeah, in my opinion towing with the cover on, no matter how nice of a cover you have, is always a bad idea. Water is easier to clean up than having the clear coat completely ruined.

y49sides 10-04-2007 11:46 AM

I keep the boat covered in the water all season. <BR>I rarely tow it, but If I do, I keep the cover on. I was told by the Dealer (at time of delivery) that I could leave cover on when transporting. It's only the back engine bay cushions and the front bow cushion. It's at the service department now. I just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issue and if MC took responsibility. Thanks for responding.

polarbill 10-04-2007 11:55 AM

I don't understand why the dealer would tell you it is fine to tow with the cover on. No matter what kind of cover you have it is going to flap/vibrate and cause damage to your boat, especially at highway speeds. It is even worse if have have color besides white on the deck. Unless it is hailing/monsooning or just raining dirt I wouldn't do it. That's just my opinion though. Shawn, I hope they can find something to clean of the vinyl or take care of you. That would just suck.

chaser 10-04-2007 1:19 PM

Those white sponge like Mr. Clean foam pads will take it off. Worked for me anyway. Magic erasers I think they are called.

y49sides 10-04-2007 1:58 PM

This cover had the ratcheting straps around the sides. I think that's why they said it was O.K. to travel with it. Plus, it states in the MC Catalog "towable mooring boat cover". <BR>It's actually a very nice cover and doesn't lift or flat in the wind. <BR>I have brought the boat into the service center many times with the cover on and no one has ever said anything about it. <BR>Although the black cover looks great, I think MC should be aware of this problem with there product and should do everything to remedy it.

wake4fun 10-04-2007 2:47 PM

Magic eraser will remove the black marks. If your boat cover ever comes off and that ratchet attacks your vinyl or gel coat you won't ever tow with it again.

y49sides 10-04-2007 3:05 PM

Thanks. <BR>I will try Magic Eraser. When I get the boat back. <BR>The ratchets are in a zipped soft vinyl case. I agree about being careful with it though. All the clips around the sides are plastic. <BR>I do not think the color transfer is from traveling, because I rarely take it out of the water, and if I do it travels less than 10 miles. <BR>Thanks for the advise about cleaning.

coldlake 10-04-2007 6:10 PM

I've got the canvas cover, with the attached wide nylon straps for my MC. The trailer has special loops made just for the straps. Have trailered 4 or 5 times for modest distances in the rain with the cover tied down, no problems. Boat is white on top deck, and there are no scratches as a result. <BR> <BR>But that's only 4-5 times.

curtisco24 10-04-2007 6:59 PM

the new ratchet covers will not scratch the boat.

luckydevil 10-05-2007 7:24 AM

when i haul the boat with the cover on it does leave black on the window frame from slapping up and down at 70mph. my biggest problem with the MC covers is that they leak water, i came from a malibu cover that would hold water to this one that leaks and causes the cushions to color! not good for an X-45!! or even a 20k boat!

y49sides 10-05-2007 8:54 AM

Lucky Devil, <BR>Have you notified MC or your dealer about the cushions turning color? What was their response? <BR>Sounds like you have the same problem I have with my X-30.

woreout 10-05-2007 9:35 AM

10 bucks says its dirt from the cover getting rubbed into the seat. Get a "Magic Eraser" and it will take it off.

lukeduke95 10-05-2007 10:47 AM

I would love to see what you use to get it out. I got a new engine cover that is all pristine white. EXCEPT for someones butt print from their new black terrycloth dress thing. (I tell people NO NEW CLOTHES/TOWELS) <BR> <BR>Magic eraser wouldn't even take it out, and they have worked on everything else. Any other ideas?

woreout 10-05-2007 11:44 AM

Clorox Clean Up, wipe it on then sit it in the sun for a while. You dont usually want to use this as it will weaken your stitching and interior. For this stain it will be alright. I use it in spots where bird poop stains it orange. It just disappears.

waterfreak 10-05-2007 11:55 AM

I have used scrub free also with bleach in it. It works everytime!!! Leave it on overnight and the stain is gone by morning. Again keep away from stitching. Only use when all else fails. Not under the approved chemical list for vinyl.

waterfreak 10-05-2007 12:49 PM

I meant to say soft scrub.

big_poppa_pump 10-05-2007 4:32 PM

When I first bought my 1999 X-Star it had a black mooring cover that bled onto the engine cover. It was more of purple/pink, but it was definitely dye from the cover. <BR> <BR>It was the worst after a quick rainstorm followed by a hot sunny day. <BR> <BR>I used a little diluted bleach and CAREFULLY cleaned it, followed up by thoroughly washing with soap and lots of rinsing to get rid of any residual bleach. <BR> <BR>The vinyl has held up good for years now, so no ill effects. Also, starbright vinyl cleaner does a great job of cleaning. <BR> <BR>I've bought grey covers since then and never had the problem again.