WakeWorld

WakeWorld (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/index.php)
-   Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3183)
-   -   NVS Deviants vs Rev10s? (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=789693)

shawndoggy 08-19-2011 9:32 AM

NVS Deviants vs Rev10s?

Can anyone who has heard both give me their thoughts. My priorities are (a) sound quality in the boat and (b) volume at the end of the rope. If I can't have (a) with (b) I'll probably opt for a high end surf setup (nice coaxes on the tower) rather than hlcds.

duffymahoney 08-19-2011 9:41 AM

The rev 10's sound amazing, I have never heard the NVS in person but I hear they are also amazing. I own a pair of rev 10's and they are crystal clear while surfing and the mid bass is great. I feel like they aren't just screaming at me. I have a fader for my tower speakers and most of my friends prefer the tower speakers to be on while even just boating around. They sound great. I bet the NVS sound great as well though!

johnny_jr 08-19-2011 2:28 PM

Rev 10's should meet your expectation for both A and B, if you hear them and decide that they are not the SQ you are looking for I would suggest an Exile Audio Hiybrid set up. You'll get a little less volume at the end of the rope, but the SQ you are looking for.

Both NVS and Rev10 can be heard loud and clear at the end of the rope, SQ for the Rev will be better then the NVS.. IMHO.

I'm running Rev8s and am very happy with sound quality and over all volume, the Rev10 are much louder with quite a bit more mid bass then the 8s. The Exile Hybrid will give you the same projection of sound as the Rev8s with a bit better SQ are surfing distance.

riverrunner 08-19-2011 3:40 PM

We took the time recently to see just how far out and clear the REV10s are on our tower and although we knew they were loud we did not realize just how far the sound would carry and still be crystal clear. We've had several high end setups on past boats but, this one with the REV10s just walks all over them, Checkout the video in this THREAD.

talltigeguy 08-20-2011 7:16 AM

Shawndoggy, your world is full of great choices.

If you are really talking a single pair of REV 10's vs a pair of Deviants, then you are comparing 4 mid bass drivers with the Deviants and 2 with the REV 10's.

I have owned a pair of NVS Tyrants (essentially the same, just in the older enclosure) and currently have 2 pair of REV 10's. So my comparison would not be perfect, because I am talking about a 4 year old version on the NVS.

Here is my breakdown:

1. Customer service - Wetsounds is awesome. SO is NVS. I had a problem with my Wetsounds and TIm and company fixed it ASAP. When I had NVS, I even had Duane's cell phone number, and he was willing to answer questions I had, when all this stuff was new. It is a tie.

2. Hang height - nice bonus to NVS. I like the new clamp and enclosure style for the NVS. Limits the hang height on those big speakers.

3. REV 10 can rotate, nice feature. I have not used it yet, and honestly, not sure I am ever going to, but still cool.

4. Water resistance - I cannot speak for the newer NVS, but my older ones were made with paper cones that were treated with a water resistance coating. The new REV seem much more water resistant. I never have been caught in a big rainstorm in either, but the NVS made me a little nervous when thunderheads were off in the distance, the REV not so much. Maybe they have changed cone material since then.

5. Pure volume on either speaker is huge. No worries about your rider hearing these things. Riverrunner's thread is cool, but you could probably hear me screaming all the way across the lake on a calm day like that. I really want to know if I can hear it with wind blowing and 350 horses roaring in front of me. Both will do the trick. I am not sure why the comparison of Deviant to just 1 pair of REV 10's, but I think the nod on volume would have to go to a set of Deviants, since you have twice the midbass cone. WIth 2 pair of REV 10's, I would have to go with superior midbass projection on the WS.

6. Sound quality - usually not much of an issue, because the noise in and around a boat make it a terrible concert hall and volume will usually win out. But having said that, the REV 10's really do what everyone says and you don't get that ear piercing feeling that you get with the previous versions. The warmth of the WS speakers is incredible. I am in love with the REV 10's. After we are done riding, just relaxing around the boat at low volumes, the REV's sound better than my NVS did.

Again, these NVS were versions from several years back, not sure if he made significant changes to cone material, crossovers, etc since then.

Free wakeboard if you buy wetsounds from my dealer: http://www.automarinecare.com/

fman 08-20-2011 4:15 PM

Have had a set of the REV 10's on this summer, they rock, and sound awesome. The mid-bass and highs are fantastic.... they do sound great in the boat, and boarding at 70 feet. Have no experience with the NVS deviants.

2006maliblue 08-20-2011 9:58 PM

Will I'm the exact opposite of everyone else on this thread as my experience is with the NVS and I have never heard the REV 10's....

The NVS speakers are extremely loud and clear and throw out amazing mid-bass, most people are shocked to find I have no interior speakers currently and all my sound is coming from the tower. I didn't have time to throw all the interiors in when I went to the lake at the beginning of the season and I've been so happy with the sound I just got lazy and haven't thrown them in yet. I can't imagine anything being any louder or clearer nor could I see why you'd want anything louder, but I haven't heard the REV 10's yet.

I can attest to the customer service with Duane at NVS he's available on his cell anytime even when he's out of town on vacation, (sorry for interrupting hope you had fun in Reno with the wife!)...

Biggest surprise with me on the NVS speakers was the hang height! These things suck up so high I have no clue how they do it! They take up less room then most boxes with 6x9's!

soundbox 08-30-2011 11:34 AM

3 Attachment(s)
For anyone interested in listening to the Revs VS. Conventional speakers, our display is set up to AB switch between the two.

Attachment 16869

We can swing the display out and let you see what they sound like at 80ft or walk across the street and listen at 100yards.

Attachment 16871

If you come by in the next couple days we will have this boat available for demo too.

Attachment 16870

justsan 08-30-2011 1:20 PM

Ben -that swing out display is legit!!

getssum 08-30-2011 2:28 PM

Love my NVS's and love the service from Duane/Todd.

The midbass from four 10" speakers on the tower is awesome.

All tower speakers need to be driven with Lots of watts, and benefit from an EQ as well.

Either way you go, I think you'll be happy.

soundbox 08-30-2011 3:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks Justin. I built it at home with some 2" pipe and had it powder coated silver. Attached it to the concrete wall with some heavy duty gate hinges and called it a day.

I had to test to make sure it could handle some weight.....
Attachment 16883
:D

chucktronics 08-30-2011 3:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
GO with the rev's!!!!

This one should be done by the holiday!!!

05mobiuslsv 08-30-2011 3:58 PM

LOL, wow.

hatepain 08-30-2011 4:01 PM

Ryan, you must be a hell of a salesman because you seem to have the most over the top towers time and time again. :)

polarbill 08-30-2011 4:02 PM

7 pairs of Revs? That looks like an old school SAN. Where in the hell do all the subs, amps and interior speakers go or is it all tower speakers?

soundbox 08-30-2011 4:08 PM

Ryan, I've been waiting for you to post that one up! Hats off to you.

supratweaked 08-30-2011 8:09 PM

Ryan,

Why are you underachieving? I can actually see some red that must be the tower. Surely you can fit another set or two up there. JK of course. That thing is gonna rail!

joebob 08-30-2011 9:28 PM

Retarded.

brett33 08-31-2011 6:14 AM

That's crazy. I think i could have done without the 2 pair facing forward, but then again... who drops 10k upgrading their tower speakers?

david_e_m 08-31-2011 7:07 AM

Four REV10s powered by 1500 to 1600 legit watts to the tower is so incredibly loud it always gets the same response: " Holy (fill in your own expletive)". I can't imagine ten of those in the same direction!

David
Earmark Marine

wetsounds1 08-31-2011 7:32 AM

I had a chance to hear this boat at Ryan's shop. HOLY S$^+ is right. This thing gets so freaking loud, words really cannot describe it. It also sounds so clean as well. No distortion and no harshness. Just gobs of mid bass and volume. The volume just keeps going up and up and up. Amazing job.

You have to hear a system like this to truly understand the volume. Ryan was at the controls and i was on the back deck. He turned it up and a big smile came on my face. Then a little more. And then more and then wide open. At half volume it is crazy. But it seems that it can just get louder and louder.

The bar has been set!! Great job Ryan

Tim
Wet Sounds

chucktronics 08-31-2011 7:32 AM

When this boat is 100 % complete i will put up some more pics and system explanations.

The Thread is about Rev vs. Devients

1/ personally when designing a system i always account for the future of the customer wanting more product in some fashion, no custom would be happy to put a set of speakers on the closet shelf or sell them for 1/2 price a yr later just to go bigger. This is one reason you see me working with mostly single driver enclosures as opposed to dual enclosures . with having multiple clamps and fixed spacing between them ,it can limit how and where speakers are placed . we can then take these speakers and move them appropriately and evenly throughout the tower . (as seen in the recent pics above by ben ) If the customer wanted to add more they would be able to withe some spacing changes etc..............

2/Sound- up until the launch of the rev series from Wetsounds , I would have to say that it was a much closer race between the companies. Subjective of coarse ,but never the less closer. The deviants seem to have a little more mid to them than the pro 80's but that would be expected with the lesser cone area and the midrange and high end was more desirable than the Devient . One was not really better than one another ,just different . Now that The Rev series is in full swing , (personal opinion ) I don't think other driver sound as good . not because of a poor product ,but because of the constant forward motion to keep designing better product(funded by wetsounds on yamaha's...........................jk).The new x- over networks to driver materials have made a dramatic leap in the sound Q area of the hlcd tower speakers.

Ben - Very nice work as always

oh yea------- There is an Arc 600.2 to every pr. on the red tower .

carter13 08-31-2011 7:00 PM

That SAN with 7 pairs of REV 10's is cute but really? If they have the same hang weight as the Pro 80's which Tim's site doesn't say that is 189 lbs.
How in the hell is that tower going to handle double up's or rollers without eventually cracking?
I guess that is cool if you want form over function. :p Does the guy actually ride or is he the guy that is pictured in all the bump links without even going out and riding in real life water conditions?
I have a pair of 80's on my G Force tower which is the same tower as the Centurion in this thread and it sways plenty with 27 lbs hanging. I run up the Columbia and cross it to get to our riding area and also camp on the Snake in Pasco Wa and can tell you when the wind kicks in I don't care what tower you have it ain't going to take the pounding with close to 200 lbs.:rolleyes:

chucktronics 08-31-2011 7:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lol............ here we go again.......... just like the master craft thread 2 years ago................haha

Hull cracking is not an issue when you do the install properly and take the time to machine a strengthen the points of interest. If you are familiar with this tower , you would know it is not a wobbly mess on the boat . May not be the best looking ,but is rather sturdy.

is this one cute to?

UNvisible 09-01-2011 7:36 AM

great work as always ryan, that rev10 setup is ridiculous. Anxious to see where you put 7 600.2's along with sub amps :)

JohnAr 09-01-2011 9:47 AM

From an engineering standpoint, getting all that to work is pretty cool. But that's some lame King Of The Lake douchery IMO. No offence Ryan, glad someone is getting paid :)

Props to Wetsounds for making a superior speaker. I may be upgrading by Dbot5s this winter...

pdqwrx 09-01-2011 10:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Tim waiting for the madness to start.......

david_e_m 09-01-2011 12:23 PM

^^^^Thats actually Tim? So now I know who the mystery shopper is.

migs 09-01-2011 1:39 PM

Is that a 210 or 220? Those FCT towers are rock solid.

lifetimewarranty 09-01-2011 2:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I thought this was Tim from wetsounds...j/k

wetsounds1 09-01-2011 4:04 PM

Nope. Not me. But thats my dad! So I'm the second most interesting man in the world!!!! Joking of course. haha

Tim

nautiboy230 09-07-2011 5:46 PM

I have nvs prodigy (2 sets) on my boat and my buddy has 2 rev 10s and 2 rev 8s on his. They are both crazy loud and super clear. We have had many debates about which are louders and coming from all our friends they say they can hear the nvs further away but by no means are the wetsounds not loud they scream. I think they both sound great. It was a tough decision for me i have all wetsounds interior speakers xs650 with a wetsounds syn 4 amp and a wetsounds xxx12 sub with a syn 1 amp so nothing bad to say about wetsounds great speakers !! you can go wrong with either !