****Help with choosing boat cover**... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » ****Help with choosing boat cover** « Previous Next »
By D Jones (djones1340) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 3:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We are ordering a new Sunbrella cover for our MC and wanted to know if anybody has experience with a black cover. Does it get dirty quickly? Does the black cause it to get too hot inside? All inout is greatly appreciated, as it is our first boat and first cover.

By tre (tre) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 3:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The best cover I have ever used is my current one made of Aqualon (not sure if I spelled that correctly). It is NOT breathable like sunbrella but a custom cover manufacturer will (or should) put vents in it to let the boat breath. The vents are similar to a vent on a house - it lets air in and out but not rain. Aqualon is 100% water proof and very easy to clean. It feels similar to the vynal on your boats seats. The guy who made my cover put 6 vents in it. We wakeboard every monday morning before work, cover the boat when the inside is wet, and keep it covered all week until we use it again on Sat. morning. We did this all summer and had no problems with mildew. The vents worked - the boat always dried out. The inside also never got wet in the worst rain storms. I would never go back to sunbrella after this (not that sunbrella is bad - this is just better). I paid the guy $600 to custom make this cover. It is dark red - not quite black - but no heat problems.

By Steve M. (stevem) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 4:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have had a black sunbrella cover on my boats for the past several years. Before that I had used a red cover (on a different boat).

I do notice dust and debris on the black cover a little more. But the cover I have is trailerable so when it gets a little dusty I leave it on when I pull the boat to our riding spot which blows it clean.

The black cover will make the interior of the boat a lot warmer if you have the cover on and it is sitting in the sun. I live in the Pacific Northwest and this is actually a bonus for me because it helps to dry the boat out between uses. With the black cover on, the boat will dry out in a few hours. With the red cover, it would take 1-2 days before the boat would dry just because it never really does get hot here in the summer. Just go outside and stand in the sun with a black tee-shirt on and you'll get the idea.

If your only concern is maintenance, I would go ahead and get it because it is not that much harder to keep clean. But if you live someplace hot the black cover will make it even hotter which may be a concern for you.

boat cover

By D Jones (djones1340) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 5:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Beautiful boat Steve! Our boat is kept inside most of the year, and on a lift under a covered slip for 4+ months. I really like the look of the black cover (my boat is black and white with a small gray stripe). I appreciate you input and will stick with the black.

By barefooter (prostar205v) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 7:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
email me if you are ordering a MC cover and I can give you some "insight". I just had a custom Sunbrella made....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com