how do I know if I have powerslot trans? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » how do I know if I have powerslot trans? « Previous Next »
By flying frenchman (wegotbikes) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 8:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought a 1995 MC Prostar 205 with the indmar 275hp motor. How do I know if I have a powerslot transmission? What is the difference of a powerslot trans anyway? I have had people ask what trans I have and I don't know. Any help would be appreciated.

By WakinVol (jlm) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I believe that the Powerslot is a 1.5 to 1 ratio. It should say on a stamp on the trans. Mine is a standard 1 to 1 ratio. The powerslot turns an extra .5 rotation from the motor.

By flying frenchman (wegotbikes) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks, I'll look for it in the morning.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 3:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If the prop is stock, you might be able to tell from its size. From what I've seen, most tow boats with 1:1 ratios use somewhere in the range of a 13x13 prop, while those with gear reduction transmissions use at least a 14x16.

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 5:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There will be a label on the transmission. It will either say 1:1 or 1.5:1 (the latter being the slot). It actually gears down so 1.5 turns of the engine equates to 1 turn of the prop thus as Jeff said, they would be 'pitched-up' to compensate for the gear-down.

By flying frenchman (wegotbikes) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 6:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all your help guys, I have a 13x13 prop and looked at the transmission today and it says 1:1 so that helps. I love this board, it always answers my questions. Thanks again everyone!

By KStateAlumni(aka Brad Beach) (bbeach) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 9:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Incidently I believe the 1 to 1 trans is called a "velvet drive"

By flying frenchman (wegotbikes) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 9:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does one have an advantage over the other? more reliable, better performance, etc?

By Brett Yates (polarbill) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't know if it is the same as in the 84 but ours is a power slot and the hull has an arch in the middle back so you can fit a bigger prop. From what I've heard from my dad and his friends the power slot is way better, but they are all skiers. My dad and two other friends have 83 mastercrafts and we have an 84. which might be for sale.

(Message edited by polarbill on February 20, 2004)

By mitch mansfield (mitch) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 5:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Better holeshot. I had one on a previous MC. I believe the intention was for pulling multiple skiers for show's etc., where low end pwr was needed. A byproduct of that is that it my boat had great holeshot, w/ sacs piled everywhere. I had a 14x18 prop. From what I was told it was a $1100 option.

By Tony (tonym) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 8:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Like some have explained above a gear reduction trans has the prop rotating slower than the engine. There are several advantages. One is that since the engine is running at a slightly higher rpm, it will be higher on the torque curve allowing the use of a larger prop. The slower rotating prop is more efficient and since it is a larger prop, it will have more thrust and acceleration. A boat with a gear reduction trans will loose some off of the top end. Is it worth it? For barefooting and skiing, definitely…For wakeboarding, probably not….. but it sure is fun.

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 12:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think it is worth it. I had a 99 Prostar 205 with the powerslot. With 2,000 lbs of fat sacs and several people, it got up on plane very fast. Unbelievable hole shot. I have a new x2 with the standard MCX engine and I can tell a huge difference. I had to switch out the prop on the x2 to help with the hole shot.

By Fredrik Broen (fbroen) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 1:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wilson, your X2 has the "powerslot" your v-drive tranny is 1:1.5.

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 2:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Fredrik-I totally forgot but I had the LT1 (I think that was what it was called)upgraded engine in my Prostar, I believe it was 330 hp,(can't remember for sure) so that is a big part of the difference I am noticing. I was going to upgrade the engine in my x2 but my dealer talked me out of it.Anyway, the combo of the powerslot and the upgraded engine did make a difference. My prostar did plane much faster than my x2 did with the original factory prop.Once I changed the prop out on the x2 it was a lot better.

By Fredrik Broen (fbroen) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 3:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cool that you like your new prop better. Oh and just though you may wanted to know that your 350 HP MCX is actually an upgrade (the base is the 310 HP Predator).

To un-hijack the thread, I am with Wilson that a "powerslot" tranny is great for wakeboarding. For a loaded boat, why would you not want great hole shot? Personally, I couldn't care less about top end speed, but much more about how the boat does for wakeboarding.

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 4:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Fredrik-ok I'm coming off as being totally ignorant..I have the predator engine in my X2 not the mcx..It's been a long winter....
ANYWAY...back to the original post..I think the powerslot is worth having..ok I'm shutting up now.

By MIKE O (batman) on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 6:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I second wilson's post! He about pulled my arms out of the sockets with the boat loaded in the Prostar w/power slot.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com