tower speaker project started w/pics Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » tower speaker project started w/pics « Previous Next »
By bill montanye (bill) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 4:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
well i started the first phase which was to finish my old PVC speaker tunes i started 6 months ago and left to collect dust, put speakers in them, hang them on the tower with home made clamps and listen to them unamped..

well it went pretty well
so far below are my ghetto tower speaker cans with Polk Audio 6.5 inch 2 way speakers.. they are 180W peak and 60 watt RMS with a 40-21hz range and 92 DB sens...whatever all the crap means

2nd step is

decide whether or not to use the new polished aluminum clamps and cans i have coming this week or just sell or keep them and stay with the old PVC ones.

2.figure out what size amp to get and how to wire it..

Amp question??

i dont need much for one set of speakers and i dont want to spend a lot of time and money wiring it..also is it a good idea to wire in and AMP with ahead unit that is already got some decent power coming out of it do to the fact that it has a small power booster/amp built into it?Is it a good idea to allow power to feed through the amp or is everyone using a passive head unit now??

then third build a small board for the amp to bolt onto and keep it dry and cool...

so i have a little lest to do but it was a great day to work outside on this project ,74 in arlington,TX !! :-)

also keep in mind i keep the boat stored in my driveway outside and am not sure i want to put anything to tempting to steal and also to expensive to let the weather beat on..so keep that in mind when offering up advice..

By JONb (jonb) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 4:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
that looks great, except for the clamps you can't tell that they are home made

By bill montanye (bill) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 5:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yep just U clamps from home depot with a small piece of black rubber hose i slipped over it to keep from scratching the tower..

I have two poished aluminum clamps i got from ebay and im waiting on the matching cans..

not sure if i will use them as they may be a target for theft as i store the boat outside..not sure yet but thanks

By Doug (supradoug) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 6:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok Bill, I know you. everything on that boat is homemade, including that badass ballast system.
I say stay with the pvc.............

By bill montanye (bill) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 7:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey not everything fool ! its got the factory motor,tranny,ballast,tower,wakeboard racks,carpet,guages,4 blade prop and seats :-)

...its more like saying i intall my own stuff and dont buy expensive factory stuff..i get whats needed not whats wanted :-)

i bought the Bimini online and put it on myself,new boat cover that fits better then the factory one did,and the ballast system i added for auto fill and empty along with the factory ballast has been working great for two years.I do all my own oil changes now that the warranty is up.
ive saved a lot of money so whats your point?:-)

at least my boat didnt split in half only after one year and had to get another one :-)

Im working on making it less ghetto and more exceptable to you up modern rich white Oklahomans,we all know you all arent back woods or anything :-)

Seriuosly if i had a free place to store it and keep it secure i would put some higher end stuff in it but as it stands i keep it simple ...

By Ryan E (ryan_e) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 7:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Store it for free? The place I store mine is not free but it is super cheap compared to other places. And it's in Arlington, 10 min from joe pool or lake arlington. It's gated, your own storage, security camera's and all concrete drive, don't have to put you tower down. If you are interested I will post picutes and prices.

By bill montanye (bill) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
nope has to be free,i am poor,i wouldnt be able to gas it up and ride if i stored it :-)

actually if you want to hit me up with an email with pics and onfo i will check it out..

By Dan (dfish) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 8:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill:

Nice job on the speakers!

I'll take my hat off to a guy who can and does work on his own boat!

I am forced to learn myself, and I really have no talent. But the new CC has to be taken care of by someone and I learned a long time ago, the dealer does not care nearly as much as I do.

By Doug (supradoug) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 9:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
OK bill got you covered. I have a two stall barn and only use 1 side............Just back right in and don't worry about folding the tower down....

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com