I/O Problem Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » I/O Problem « Previous Next »
By CBrown (powdrhound) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 1:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We have a bayliner with a 3.0l mercruiser lately it can be idling away quite happily for ages and then it'll just cut out and won't start. to get it to start we have to bypass the fuel filter and put a sprinkle of gas in the carby. The fuel filter is not blocked and we have replaced that as thats what we thought initially but still the problem persists ....any ideas??

By thomas ryan (g3revenge) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 1:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
there is a check valve in the fuel line that is suposed to keep the fuel from draining back to the tank. thats one possibility.

fuel pump going south. is another.

the inline fuel filter is (sometimes) also a water separator. it may look 'clean' , but be clogged with water. is there an inline and a filter at the carb?

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 1:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It may be serveral possible items. Check the pressure on the fuel pump after a filter change out. Remember that there is a filter on the carb where the fuel line connects. The gas tank also has a screen ont the inlet. I have also heard of alcohol affecting the fuel line and seals causing this problem. It is inexpensive to change out the fuel line with a new one - about $2.00 per foot at West Marine.

It could also be vapor lock. There is a kit for re-building the carb the changes to float. Your float may be saturated from alcohol fuels and may need to be replaced. The kit is about $35. You will also need a "dip" for the carb. Save the money and look for it at the auto store. Spray cleaner does not cut it, although you will need some. My first carb rebuild took 4 hours. After a few times, I can do it in 30 minutes excluding dip time.

Good Luck.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com