Window Tinting? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Window Tinting? « Previous Next »
By matt (dahmsy686) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 8:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Does anyone have their windows tinted? if so what is the best way to go about doing that? thanks

By JONb (jonb) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 8:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i saw in wakeboarding mag it was on a malibu they had the windows blacked out it looked nice

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 9:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I personally don't like the tinted look on a boat. Rather wear sunglasses. Then when it gets dark out or even at dusk your not having trouble seeing through the windshield. Plus I think it looks kinda funny too. But if your serious about it, I am sure any car tinter could do it for you, just look in the Yellow Pages for your area.

By Jared Aubrey (jaubrey) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 9:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i have my x-30 tinted and i had it done by a car tint shop. i really like how it helps me when driving into the sun. at night i havent had any problems because i just a light tint.

By Cam Warner (cam_warner) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 11:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
check out page 66 in the May 2003 WBM....It's got a pic of Grubb's malibu w/ the windows all tinted. Looks good, but almost like a scarab or something.

By Robert (ag4ever) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 8:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you tint the windos, do you also install a roof, rear windows, and doors to get in. I bought a boat to be in the sun.

By Robert (autotunner69) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 9:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
matt
I agree with robert on having bought the boat to be in the sun..but..I thought about doing to same thing to my boat as well.
get a spray bottle and fill it with a liquid soap & water. use a template(trace and cut your tint) or if the tint has a protective backing, just lay it up against the window and trace it(then cut). w/your soapy water, spray the heck out of the side to be layed on the window and spray the glass itself(heavily). start from the inside out with a hard sqweegie(spl?), almost like a hard putty nife. If it starts to bubble up, pull it back a little bit and spray a bit more. do this until done. should turn out nicely.
cam-can you post a pic of that page on here. I don't have wbm that far back. I started aug. 03'. thanks.

(Message edited by autotunner69 on February 18, 2004)

By matt (dahmsy686) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 10:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey robert thanks for the advice. As far as grubbs boat goes that is where i got the idea, cus i think that looked really cool and aded a little flavor to the boat and the driver. Yes you can still be out in the sun with the tint. its not like its goin to do anything. and NO im not goin to install a roof, windows and doors to get into the boat. The window tinting thing is probably more appealing to the younger generation since wakeboard boats are becoming like cars so you have to put your own style into them so window tinting is one way to do this.

By Gerrett Nelson (gnelson) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 12:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey matt I would agree with you. I definately think this is a personal preference and its your boat so whatever you like I would do. There are quite a few boats tinked out in Ca. I am actually looking into getting mine done soon. I will probably go with a lighter tint (35 or less) because I dont want to worry about it being too dark to see through. I definately would not recommend doing this yourself. If your windows are flat as a board maybe but if they have any type of curve at all it will be a nightmare. I checked into getting this done last year and out here it ranged from 250-400. I would shop it around and you may be able to get a better deal in winter seeing tint shops are probably slower at this time.

By Zack (raider40) on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 2:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I got the windows tinted on my X2 almost 2 yrs ago and love it. I do know that it does absolutely nothing in terms of cooling the dash, etc. I just thought it would look sweet. I'm constantly getting comments on it when I've got the boat out.

I do know that it's impossible to see thru at nite (mine are limo tinted) but it doesn't bother me because I use the seat bolster and look over over the windshield frame.

I paid around $200 for mine.

By Neil fett (bigasswake) on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 2:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think I may have to get mine done. Where did you get it done at Landtantrum-man?

By D Jones (djones1340) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 2:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Zack-
I want to tint mine too, and use the limo tint. Do you have any problems at all with glare/reflections from insde the boat. I want to tint mine dark because I think it would look great on a black boat (much like yours).

By merlin lucas (mklucas) on Monday, March 01, 2004 - 6:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you have a wrap-around windshield like the new Malibu's, my only advice would be to make sure that you find someone who is very competent at tint work. Ask them specifically if they will be able to do the job with one piece of tint, and ask them for a "will not exceed price."

My guy told me $250 and 4-6 hours to do the job. After 2 days I had to go over there and micro-manage the guy because he was trying to pass off two pieces of tint with an eighth inch overlap right at my 1:30 veiw (same on the other side). After I told him it wouldn't do they ended up giving me a two-piece tint without the overlap, but then charged me $400 because the guy had thrown away so many pieces of tint trying to do the job I wanted. I paid him and got the hell out of there - didn't have much of a choice, I was leaving for Oregon with my boat the next day.

No glare or reflection problems @ 15% it looks black but I can still see everything I want to.

(Message edited by mklucas on March 01, 2004)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com