2004 F150 4x4 SuperCrew, Can it tow b... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » 2004 F150 4x4 SuperCrew, Can it tow big loads? « Previous Next »
By Houston Person (houstonperson) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 7:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I recently ordered the 2004 4x4 F150 Lariat SuperCrew, with all the trimmings, LT tires, LSD etc. (no-DVD). Should be here in 4 weeks.

I will be pulling the 2004 Malibu Wakesetter 23' LSV. Boat, trailer, and stuff will be about 6,000 lbs. The load in the truck will be 4 to 5 guys with equipment (1,500 lbs). The trailer will have 4 disks brakes.

I know the truck is rated at towing 9,200 lbs. or so.

I had to go with the F150 because it is short enough to fit in the garage.

Has anyone had "experience" in towing a load like this with the new 2004 F150 4x4? Also, how many miles would you have on your truck now? Is it getting the job (towing) done for you? Good? Bad?

Thanks

By Jay Reese (jayreese) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 8:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
my buddy tows his sanger v-210 around with his and it does just fine and I used tow my old gekko gtr-22 with my expediton and it was also just fine. bye the way my expediton had 105k on it before i sold it and it drove/towed just like the day I bought it(I beleive they are the same platform as far as engine/chassis) of course nothing tows a boat like the replacement vehicle
new towing rig

By thomas ryan (g3revenge) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 8:59 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
wait 500 miles or so before you tow. i do the 250 thing. 150's flex to much for me.

By steven hattaway (stevenf) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 9:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ive got an 03 when you tow hit the buttton to take off the overdrive and you can tow your boat at 90 with no problems with the overdrive on though it can suck. Gas yeah be prepared to pay. I have an 03 lariat supercrew FX4 with an 01 xstar single axle trailer though and it does just fine.

By bill montanye (bill) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 9:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
FYI your not supposed to tow anything with the truck in OD this will heat up your tranny and shortens its life..

on the ford thing i tow a 5k boat-trailer rig and flat abuse my 2000 f150 ext cab step side with 5.4 liter triton v8 and tow package..Ive got 48k miles on it now and pulled my boat with only 50 miles on it to LA on a 400 mile one way trip and i dont have any problems and you got a bit more truck so that should be no problem..

steves right i can get up to 70 quick getting on the highway and step on it hard and get to 90 as well with little effort...

By shane (auto) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 11:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
should tow fine, but for any amount of towing I like the stability, power, braking and mileage of a a 3/4 diesel. No need to turn O/D off. Just another day on the road.

By Will (will5150) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 2:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I own an 02 F150 Supercrew Lariat and got it for the same reasons- noce truck that will fit in the garage! I pull a Tige 2100V on a tandem axle trailer (Which is one of the heaviest boats going) over the Mountains out here many times a year to go to the Columbia River and it's fine. I slow down to 50 or so when I get to thetop of the passes, but otherwise 70+ is doable. I was pulling the same boat with an EXPLORER!- not good. I just about melted the trannie on that one before I traded it in! Have fun- that's a nice truck!

By Ricci Ostermayer (txmotorcop) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 3:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I pull my 01 air nautique with my 2004 ford supercrew fx4 with no problem. i had a 01 chevy duramax 4x4 and the ford actually pulls the boat much better for some reason.

By Houston Person (houstonperson) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 4:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the input guys. Are any of you using a equalizer (weight distribution) hitch with the F-150? Or just the standard 2" ball.

By Mike (k2rider) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 5:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I tow a 2001 Malibu VLX with our 2001 4x4 Supercrew. It tows fine and we haven't had any problems. I generally stay somewhere around 70 MPH when possible. My gas mileage on relatively flat terrain is about 10 MPG, it drops to about 8 on hills. One tank on a hill, against the wind I got about 6 MPG.

I was going to get a diesel but both the Ford and Chevy are having constant "issues" so when I buy new, I'm going to get the V-10 Super Duty. I know the gas mileage will stink but the $$ I save on the purchase price can be put towards gas.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 7:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The new 04 F150 frame is 9 times stronger than the previous model. It is probably as strong or stronger than the 3/4 ton frame.

I have an 03 Screw 4x4 and it tows just fine. Not as good as my 01 F250 4x4 diesel but it's cheaper to own and is a nicer daily driver vehicle.

For the weight you will be towing the only advantage a diesel would have is in low end pulling power.

You can tow in OD on flat stretches as long as the tranny doesn't shift in and out of OD. If it's shifting constantly that is what heats up the fluid and burns the transmission. Plus you get better mileage if you leave it out of OD when towing due to the lower gearing's leverage advantage.

Enjoy your new truck.

By thomas ryan (g3revenge) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 9:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
gregs right, the 04 has a lot more cad designed/fea frame stiffness than the previous model hit the pavement in january 96.

By Houston Person (houstonperson) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 5:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg and Thomas - I know, that is the reason I selected the F150 over the other half-tons was because of the frame and body structure. I drove the FX4 and Lariat 4x4 several times in off-road situations. There was no twist or bend to anything, it was amazing, and that was with diagonal corners being high to the max, 3 feet at least I think the other two corners came off the ground.

If I recall correctly there is also good spacing on the four tires to the trailer. Maybe the space between the tires (front axle to back)is 6" to 8". So I am hoping the tounge load stays below 500 lbs. I would expect the tounge load of this set up to be somewhere between 400-600lbs.

It should be within six weeks all the stuff, truck, boat, trailer should be here. So when it is all setup I will post some pictures.

Later

By Levi Cress (levi) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 8:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Mike - I would make sure you test drive one of the Ford V10's pulling a heavy load. My dad got one and he pulls a big trailer (3 horse trailer w/ living quarters) and it does ok, but I think he wishes he had the diesel now. So I'd check that out before you purchase. If all your towing is a boat...it should be more than enough.

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 9:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What's the point of Ford's V10? Just so you can say, "I have a V10"? As I recall, the performance gains are negligible compared to the V8, with the added benefit of lower gas mileage.

By christopher bushek (chrispy1) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 10:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
wea are seriously thinking about trading our 02 supercrew in for the 04 , they are way sharper looking.

By thomas ryan (g3revenge) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 11:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
the nolfolk and kentuky plants have always made better trucks than the kansas city plant. IMHO.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 11:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good Lord Swass. 310 hp and 400 ft. lbs of torque compared to 260/350 till this year. And the torque difference is even greater at lower rpms.

The guys over at The Diesel Stop with V10's don't seem to think the V10 is useless. Also, from everything I've read the fuel mileage is only about 2 points worse when unloaded vs. the 5.4 but is actually better when towing or loaded.

And next year the V10 gets the Torqshift 5 speed auto and 3 valve heads.

If I were buying a F250 or 350 there is no way I would let $400 keep me from opting for the V10 over the V8. That's awfully cheap for 50hp/50 ft. lbs of torque.

(Message edited by vortech347 on February 17, 2004)

By swass (swass) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You don't need to use my full title - just "Swass" is fine.

Like I said - negligible increases plus the added bonus of lower mileage.

By Houston Person (houstonperson) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
And how did this get hi-jacked?

Well this morning I got a picture from the factory of the boat in production. Very sweet if I say so myself!
Wakesetter 23LSV

By Shawn Jessup (bigjessup) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 12:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Houston : I think you just hijacked this thread!

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 1:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Can you still hijack a thread if you started it??

Congrats on the new truck. I looked at the new F150s at the car show and have seen a few around town. Nice looking trucks. I really like the layout of the new interior. Sure a diesel would pull better but I guess it depends on how much and how often you tow. Around town the 150 will be great and I am sure it will pull the Bu just fine.

Bigger congrats on the new boat! Be sure to get some pics of the truck and boat.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 3:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That was funny Swass.
50hp/50tq is not negligible. People pay a lot of money for those types of gains on gas motors. A lot more than $400. And lets not forget that the torque advantage below peak is even more than 50 ft. lbs. Right where you need it for towing.

And the V10 gets better mileage loaded or towing than the 5.4.

By walt (walt) on Tuesday, February 17, 2004 - 7:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
negligible increases
G.L.S. your too funny !

Houston,
I have a 02 FX4 and it does a great job pulling the boat. Your going to love it !

By Houston Person (houstonperson) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 4:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, guys with all the research on this, I think the new F150 4x4 will pull the new boat just fine. I will most likely have to add extension mirrors (Ford does not offer as an option). Aftermarket companies will have their mirrors on the market within the month. I hope the tounge load on the new boat and trailer stays under 500, if it gets over 600 I would have to add the equalizer hitch, but I don't think it will.

By Robert (ag4ever) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 8:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Even over 500 pounds you should not need an equilizer hitch. I doubt your hitch lod would be much over 600 if that much. If you do get an equilizer hitch, you will have to get one that is compatible with surge brakes, as I bet your trailer won't have electric or electric over hydraulic brakes. If you do get the equilizer hitch I would recomend getting an electric over hyrdraulic system like masterbrake.

By Douglas Lowe (load) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Towed with mine twice, towed great, better than my suburban. Here is a pic!

By Douglas Lowe (load) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post

2004 xlt

By Rod Rinnert (deltahoosier) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Did Ford ever fix the spark plug flying out of the motor problem on the 5.4L yet? Mine did that and so did some other people that I know.

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 2:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes in 03. They increased the number of threads in the head to better seat the spark plug.

By Houston Person (houstonperson) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 4:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Douglas - - There is no question, the Ford F150 SuperCrew is the sharpest one out there. Do you have to have a picture of it hooked up to your boat?

By Douglas Lowe (load) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 5:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
No pictures with the boat, I'll have to update my profile this Spring/Summer when I start boating again. Had and identical truck (2002) previously, but this one is much better with the changes they made in '04.

By Mike (k2rider) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 2:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Douglas...I'm surprised it tows that much better than your Suburban. I have the 2001 Supercrew and when we drive to Lake Powell from Southern Cal, my friends with Suburbans DESTROY me on power AND mileage.

By Mike (k2rider) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 2:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Swass...the reason I would get the V10 is just for the added horsepower. I would love to get the diesel but they are over $5K more. Also, if you go to the main message boards for both the Ford and Chevy diesels, you'll see how many problems they continue to have. The Ford is having many mory issues than the Duramax still. However, one Durmax guy had ALL of his injectors replaced for the cost of **14 THOUSAND DOLLARS** and no that's not a typo.

(Message edited by k2rider on February 20, 2004)

By shane (auto) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 3:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
97K on my PSD only hade the HPOP blow an o-ring. Just changed the belt and upper and lower hoses as a preventive measure. Would not tow w/o the diesel. I have a friend who sold his duramax, after being left on the side of the like 10 times. Buys a PSD, tranny goes within 2 weeks. It's all about what you want. I like torque, braking, stability, and fuel economy, real not imagined. That 4500 dollars is usually recouped on resale. Besides having a truck that will great for 6+years will allow me to get a new boat every other year and a new bimmer this year.

By merlin lucas (mklucas) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 12:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Just another reason to get a real diesel - CUMMINS!!!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com