Skiers Choice Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Skiers Choice « Previous Next »
By Bri Guy (bri_guy) on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 9:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm considering a new boat purchase and am trying to get thoughts on Skiers Choice. The design and styling rocks, the price is right on compared to some of the competitors plus the material and construction seems to be the same as most. From my research and talking to my local dealer that is the impression I am getting. It's definitly going to be a wakeboard boat, probably SSV. Then there is Moomba, which has an even better price and again from what I am told are just the same as the rest just a little less flashy. As a new buyer getting out of an old inboard how do I find out what is best. Price is no object. I guess I'm looking for why not to buy. All help is most appreciated.

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Monday, February 09, 2004 - 11:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can't go wrong with an SSV or XLV, just make sure when you test drive them that you have them weighted and try to get your "normal crew" out so its a real test of how you are going to use it. If you like it after the test drive then go ahead, skiers choice have a great reputation and will look after you after the purchase.

By Mike (lehmur) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 7:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought a Supra Launch (DD) last year and have been very satisfied with the quality and performance of the boat. I did have some bad gelcoat cracks but they are being repaired under warranty as we speak.

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 8:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bri, Skier's Choice is a great company who puts out a great product. I highly suggest going with them. They are doing great things over there and I am a very satisfied customer! However, I've never heard anyone on here say that price is not an issue.....

By Bri Guy (bri_guy) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 8:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've heard that on the gel, but I've also heard all the boats are having the same issues which makes sense. Thanks for the info. It doesn't make sense to me to drop 50 to 60,000 on a boat when I can pay under 50 and it will be basically loaded out. How is it that MAstercraft and malibu claim such higher prices??

By Bri Guy (bri_guy) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 8:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Kraig I guess rephrasing the price not being an issue would be a little better said as we are already breaking into the 40's here. Yes price is an issue, but i may not have a problem jumping up if it is worth it. I guess that is what I'm trying to figure out. I have no idea why they are so much higher if they are all built basically the same.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 8:51 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought an SSV three years ago, and I have been very pleased and impressed with Skiers Choice. I would not hesitate to buy another Skiers Choice product.

Other boats also are great, and I've thought a little about what I might want to replace the SSV with. It might be interesting to try something different, but I'm actually hesitant to get serious about another brand because I doubt that I would receive the same level of service. Skiers Choice is relatively small, and they care about their customers. Plus, they have at least one boarder in a senior design and engineering position. He's good enough to be included in Scrubs of the South, and they know the sport.

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 9:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ok here we go again. If you pay MSRP for any boat your an idiot. MC MSRP may be higher than others but when you get down to dealing you can get a MC close to the same price or even cheaper than comparable boats. It's all in the art of the deal.

By NoneYa (noneya) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 9:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
MC for the same price as a Moomba, you must be doing some real dealing and not considering the deal you would get on a Skiers Choice product, you can talk them down also

By Bri Guy (bri_guy) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 9:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm in sales myself so I know the MSRP game. I never would. My continued thanks to all who are jumping in here because this is where I want this posting to go. That is what I am finding and that is why Supra and/or Moomba are becoming more attractive. The MSRP on the SSV, which I would say is there top of the line boat is under 45,000. If we are working above that, chiming in on MC since it was brought up, we are up towards 60 even above. How low can you go from there. They aren't doing anything different from my observation. All they are doing is jacking there prices in lieu of taking me to town is what I see happening. Maybe I'm wrong, thats why I am here.

By Kaiser Soze (tattoobling) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 10:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bri Guy, what MC is selling MSRP at 60?

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 11:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bri, there have been endless debates here about "value" and the reason for different prices with various brands. Many (including me)have their opinions, but so far nobody has been able to come up with objective facts that show why Brand A costs X while a seemingly boat from Brand B costs X-Y. I don't think this is going to change.

It boils down to this: each person should do test drives and careful evaluations on matters that are important to them, and then make their own judgment about value. Cheap ain't necessarily good, but expensive does not guarantee a better product, IMO. Marketing theories and strategies play a big part in setting prices on everything, including boats.

By Chris Walker (redsupralaunch) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 2:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've been very happy with Supra/Moomba. I gonna get order a new one myself. I think one of the best features is the play pen seating on the Supra SSV and the Moomba XLV. At first I did not like the idea of having to step on the seat, but now my family would kill me if I had anything different cause they love the room to layout and relax. Its soo much of a bigger feel. Besides that spend 40k on a boat and the first person who steps on the seat with shoes on has to deal with me.

Most importatnt, with all V-drives you need alot of ballast up front to get pro ballast and play pen seating gives you the oppertunity to put 1000lb up front without steping ballast bags. I dont mean to pick on any other boat, but this is very unique compared to other boats. Look at any pro weighted boats from the other brands and youre stepping on the front ballast, but not with the Supra/Moomba cause it all stored away. Unfortuatlly the Moomba LSV does not have that feature. As far as Supra SSV or Moomba XLV, pick the one you like and order what you want. I would be comfortable with either one. Good Luck

By Nick Heckerson (kstateskier) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 3:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kaiser, the X-Star, X-30, and X-80 all have MSRPs of at least $60k.

By Kevin Kotrba (kevinssv) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 7:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Skiers choice is only as good as your local dealer . What is with the bad service with wakeboard boats ? I have never had problems at the car,jetski or motorcycle dealership but as soon as I bought a 50k supra ssv loaded Ive been treated substanderly as if bad service is the norm . I bought my boat from gonnasons in kent wa and there the #1 dealership in usa . Ill tell you there service is the worst ive ever seen in my life .

By Kevin Kotrba (kevinssv) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 7:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
the boat is great
the service is not

By shane (auto) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 8:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
uhhhhhh bri guy, i am not sure where you have been shopping, but I got my 03 VLX loaded for 43k. I plan to get my 05 VLX loaded for 47K.

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 5:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you compare apples to apples which in my opinion would be the X2, VLX, SANTE(I have no experience with other makes) you will see 3 boats that are very comparable in fit, finish, wake quality, price, etc.. I say again if your paying more than mid $40's for an X2 you should shop around.
We can argue forever about what boat is the best..yadda, yadda, yadda....Go try several boats and decide for yourself. The best boat is the one you like and fits your needs.Good luck.

By Bri Guy (bri_guy) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 7:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the help. Its looking like there will be another SSV riding the water this summer. Stay right and play hard. Thanks for all the help.

By Rick Tinker (rickt) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kevin,

Gonnason's will be calling you within the day.

Rick Tinker

By Barry (barry) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wish other manufacturers/reps visited this board to offer support like Rick does. Visiting/contributing to message boards would get builders more in tune with the customer and help resolve potential problems they might have with the dealers.

Rick, nice job.

B-

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 12:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Now that's what I was talking about.

By E.J. (deuce) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 4:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also easy to get a X-10 or X-2 to MSRP above 60.

E.J.

Ditto to what Barry said.....

By Mike (lehmur) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 8:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kudos to Rick. The interest you show in your customer's satisfaction is one reason I am glad I chose Supra.

By Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 11:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Amazing! I've seen it happen before and we all just witnessed it! Not only is Rick a rep from Skier's Choice, he's the President of the company! The same president who helped bring MC to such a high status many years ago. Since he came to Skiers Choice we've seen SC become a major player in the boating market (By increasing quality and putting out a great product at a good price) while MC loses it's market share. Coincidence???? I think NOT! Rick I have alot of respect for you and what you're doing at SC!
And Bri, enjoy the new SSV!

By tcluv85 (tcluv85) on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 1:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Be careful with Gonnason's in Washington. Several of us (from wakeworld) have had bad experiences there lately.

Drive a Malibu or Nautique and you will see the difference QUICKLY....quality and steering are the two big differences that I noticed right away.

By Kevin K (supra) on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 2:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Laci,thats not nice. How much experiance do you have with us, besides us being the only company to talk to you at the boat show,the only company to offer and test drive you in cold rough wet weather. We were just trying to do our job and get you to buy our product. We wish you the best of luck. Bashing gets old...

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 12:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think there's a difference between bashing and commenting on personal experience. I think she was stating the latter.

Instead of taking a defensive position, ask what you or your shop could've done better to avoid such posts in the future.

By Bill Kinnison (bill_airjunky) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 11:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Kevinssv,
Guess your finding out why Mastercraft took their dealership status away from Gonnasons.

By Jason McMaster (mcmaster1180) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 11:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
hey kevin
I totally agree with you. It's taken our dealership in Michigan 2 seasons to fix gel cracks on my ssv. Not to mention there morons. Unfortunetly i'll take my business elsewhere next time.

By Rick Tinker (rickt) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 2:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill,

FWIW, Gonnason's is the largest Supra dealer in the world and we are proud to be associated with them. They also score very high on our customer satisfaction index that we chart on each dealer. I am sure they have made their share of mistakes and then some. As have we. We appreciate the job they do for us. I am sure they are working hard to resolve Kevin's issues.

Jason, You can email me at rtinker@skierschoice.com and I will be glad to followup with the dealer you are currently working with to resolve any open issues.

Rick

By NoneYa (noneya) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 2:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Waterski boats dallas advertises as the largest supra/moomba dealer in the world...what up with that?

Disclaimer: I am very happy with the treatment I get there so not btchn just wondering

By bill montanye (bill) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 3:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
hahah Noneya...they do just that..i like the guys there as well but must be something askew...

By Kevin K (supra) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 3:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I believe waterski boats of Dallas is #1 combined with both Moomba and Supra

(Message edited by supra on February 13, 2004)

By Michael Cook (mcook77) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 4:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kevin K is correct from what I understand. There are individual dealers that sell more Moomba's and more that sell more Supra's, but no dealership sells more Moomba and Supra's combined than WaterSki Boats Dallas.

By Bill Kinnison (bill_airjunky) on Saturday, February 14, 2004 - 9:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good to hear everyone is awake at Gonnason's. Got your email Kevin, and I have to admit, my own experience is not at Gonnason's or Cope's but at Doug's. I was never given the time of day there. You'd have thought I was a cute single girl walkin in to buy a boat. ;) I know 3 of the sales guys pretty well & they are all pretty opinionated about the whole Doug's-Gonnason's-Cope's fiasco. Up till now I've not had to deal with any of them for my '94 MC 205..... and at today's prices, I hope I don't have to anytime soon.
Anyway, good to see the dealers & manufacturers online & keeping tabs on things.

By Adam (wkeboardr7) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 11:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've always been happy with my Supra. Its an '03 SSV and the dealer we have is South Austin Marine can't say enough good things about them.

By Jason McMaster (mcmaster1180) on Sunday, February 15, 2004 - 6:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
day late and a dollar short rick thx though. The ssv is gonna be someone else's problem soon

By Marty McFly (mcfly) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 11:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Michael is correct. Waterski Boats Dallas is the #2 Supra Dealer and the #2 Moomba Dealer for 2003, but we are the #1 Combined (Skier's Choice) Dealer.

McFly
Waterski Boats Dallas

By chuck j (wake_eater) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 5:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i had a 00 outback ls & traded it last july for a 03 launch ss. both are great boats, the launch us just geared more toward wakeboarding. the local dealer; rusty @ knoxville watersports is a helluva guy. his reputation here in knoxville is top notch. as for skiers choice---how can u knock them? they put out an incredible product for significantly less than the "big 3", & from some of the reports that have been posted on this site, they're sales are exploding. just the fact that they keep tabs on this site speaks volumes for their customer service and desire to make their customers happy. i'm happy with my purchase & am confident my next will be another supra. as for people with bad experiences - from what i've seen its on the dealer level, which is unfortunate. some dealers dont care about customer service as much the rest of them.

By Brian (skiboat21) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 7:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bought an 04 SSV from Jason at Gonnasons and I could not be more satisfied with the whole experience. My wife and I have a 1974 Century Resorter (17’boat, steep wake, heavy boat, narrow beam and a ton of maintenance) and started looking for a new ride after we found out we were going to have a little addition to our family (Baby Boy) in September 03. After the financial situation shook out and looked all right we went back and talked to Jason about warranty info and the gel coat problems that were posted on the wakeworld website. I wanted some warranty questions answered and he did to our satisfaction. We signed the papers 01/03/04. At this point we have not had the boat out in the water for its break-in period and that can leave some more uncertainties out there but I have confidence in the service our dealer can provide…..If not I’ll be pi$$ed

Just for the record I am a bit picky and expect reasonable quality. I am very satisfied with the overall interior package. The only thing I have a problem with is the way Skiers Choice (more specifically my boat) drives their fasteners in a “toenail” framing fashion into the lower decking (down in the ski locker) rather than having a dedicated bracket. I would expect they would have something ironed out to cover that. Keep in mind I have not crawled down into the ski locker of other brands and by no means am I an expert.

I’ll keep an eye on things when we get out on the water

By Kyle (hamkj) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 9:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is nice to hear the experiences (good and bad) that people have with dealers... I also like how the manufacturers step up and try and resolve the problems with the customer and dealer.

I find there are subtle differences in all the boats that are made... If you compare the >$45k boats... it comes down to preference and dealer. Also if you compare the <$45k... it comes down to preference and dealer. As long as you compare apples to apples, it all comes down to what works for you... and of course... you relationship with the dealer.

I personally was looking at the less than $40K boats.... so I considered Moomba, Supreme, Sanger, Centurion, and then some used Malibu, Tige, CC, and MC.

After looking at everything it came down to Moomba and Supreme.

I couldn't get a deal with Moomba, because they wouldnt give me a price quote until they knew I had sold my boat. Where as the Supreme dealer, gave me a price with trade and without trade...

As a consumer, I needed to know how much money I needed to get the boat I wanted... So I went with SUPREME.

How was I suppose to buy a boat if I did not know how much it was to start. Why the Moomba dealer didnt give me a price... who knows?

I cant wait till my Supreme is delivered!!!

By Kyle (hamkj) on Monday, February 16, 2004 - 9:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
One other thing... My Supreme dealer takes great pride in talking about all the positive aspects of the Supremes and all the other manufacturers... He doesnt bash other brands.

My Moomba dealer bashes almost every boat maker out there. Maybe he is just passionate about Moomba and it is the be all end all... even though Moomba themselves have the Moomba line as the affordable tournament boat... not the be all end all...

My dealer actually called me today and said how well he did at the boat show on weekend and expressed genuine concern about another dealer not having a great show... He actually talked to the other dealer who sells another brand... and the other guy was saying it wasnt looking like a good year for him...

My dealer was actually concerned for another dealer... and quote "I hate to see other dealers not do well... there is enough business for everyone..." He was saying that factory orders were behind so it was affecting his sales of new boats if someone wanted to buy something they didnt have in inventory or wanted a custom order....

That was a first... a boat dealer showing concern for the competition.... strange but true. It happened today!!!

By Joe Sellhausen (joesell) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 3:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've been away for a while, but I always try to read the Skiers Choice posts.
I can tell you first hand that the dealership makes or breaks the deal. I don't really want to go in to the whole thing again, and I'm sure that the people that remember don't want to hear about it again.
I will say this though, Rick Tinker is an honest, good hearted person that stands by his products, and will do whatever it takes to make his customers happy.
He reads these posts and puts our suggestions into his products.
Take the XLV for example. This boat has every cool option or toy available for it. I can't even list all the goodies, but I can say I was very impressed, and that doesn't happen often!

Sorry about the ranting, and the run-on sentences. My point is, A person would be silly not to at least consider a product that comes from someone as dedicated as Rick Tinker.

At the begining of this post I said that the dealership makes or breaks the deal. While that maybe true, I think the president of the company might have something to do with it too. Joe

By Scott (oshensurfer) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 5:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kyle,
Funny you said that about the Moomba dealer. The Malibu guys at the boat show last weekend here in Sac were doing the same thing. Major turn off for me...

By Shawn Ulsrud (thunderstruck) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 5:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Bri
I am whating on the delivery of my LSV and I have to say without even having the boat yet I am impressed with the product put out by skiers choice. My decision to go with the Moomba over the Supra is economics. I wouldn't take anything away from the Supra's, but for me I got into a great boat for less money and the dealer and skiers choice even let me put some of the Supra options on my Moomba. Just remember your buying a boat from Skiers Choice, one is a little more plane and the other is a little more luxurious. Still both Skiers Choice.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com