Wiring a tower??? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Wiring a tower??? « Previous Next »
By Richard Lewis (dbay_rider) on Sunday, February 08, 2004 - 4:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I want to wire a '04 SANTE tower for lights and speakers any help or advice would be great. Thanks

Rich

By Doug Ridenour Jr (ridenourdm) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 4:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
find your local crankster (you know the one with batteries, fuses, wires, etcc in his pocket) and tell him to spend the night tweekin on the tower, God only knows what you might end up with by morning...hahaha whats the happs on our bbq sissy boy, call me

By Karl De Looff (boarditup) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 6:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use a shop vacuum to draw a string from the lower hole to the upper holes and then pull the wires through. Use wire lube to make it easier. Also, deburr the holes before you draw the wire through. This takes a small file for the inside holes and a lot of patience. Use a small diameter string with a string ball attached. 20 lbs fish line works well.

By Richard B. (cws_kahuna) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 7:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did the same thing as Karl, works well.

By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 7:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
What about running lights and speakerwire together. I heard that doing this might cause problems with speaker sound quality, but a friend of mine just had his boat wired at the dealership and they ran them all together. I don't know how his sounds because its winter up here and have not been out yet. Anybody have any firsthand experience???

By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 7:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Somebody has got to know:-)

By Mark B (wakehound) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 7:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Make sure the speaker wire you get is shielded. That will cut down on interference from the electric lines for the lights. The other thing you could (should) do is run the speaker line up one side, and the power for the lights up the other. You might have to do this anyways, depending on the size of the holes in the tower.

Oh, and use a vacuum and string like already mentioned. It makes a world of difference.

By Brad Birlew (bradb) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 9:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
There was a fantastic article about wiring towers on the Malibu boat owners web site... I forget the address, but I'm sure it's easy to find.
B

By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 9:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Brad I will check it out, I own a wakesetter but don't get to that site as often.

p.s. I tried the vacuum and string and could not get it to work. I have a magnet from a computer hard drive that is very strong(will hold a magizine to the frig through the magazine) and I tied a small nut to the string and used the magnet to pull it through. If you have access to an old computer tear out the hard drive, those magnets have tons of uses.

By Matt Heil (matt_h) on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 10:56 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
you have to put a small pice of tape on the string to cause enough drag for the vac to suck the string through the tower.

By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 9:05 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
After thinking about it I will never be running my tower lights and speakers at the same time anyway. If its after dark I am not going to be wakeing people up and drawing attention to myself:-)

By A. P. (bigdad) on Thursday, February 12, 2004 - 10:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
dental floss works better than string. Use dental floss initially with a "flag" like a piece of tape or plastic so the shop vac can suck it up. After you get the dental floss threaded, tie it to a piece of string or twine and thread it through the tower. Then tie it to your speaker wires and run that through the tower.

The dental floss is a lot lighter than string and it will thread itself through the tower immidiately.

By Scott Sax, Titan Wake Accessories (scottsax) on Friday, February 13, 2004 - 6:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Rich,
We are just finishing installing a pair of our new Alphas and our six lamp system on the exact same boat, so I may have some helpful information. You'll want to run the speakers down the port side, because the amp is under the observer's seat, and the lights down the starboard side to the dash. You'll find that if your wires exit the tower at the hinging point in the front and then re-enter the tower just below the hinge, the wiring will look the cleanest. Then you'll need to remove the tower and fish the wires out of the front of the lower section out the hole in the middle of the underside of the front baseplate.

To wire the lights, remove the kick panel at the driver's feet. There's a 40 pin connector going into the electronic control module that's behind the kick panel. The pale yellow lead (labeled #10) on the top left corner of the plug is for the docking light circuit. (There are a couple of yellow leads, so you may want to contact your CC dealer for a schematic, but I think my explanation will get you there.) If you run a T-tap off of that yellow lead to your RELAY of your lights, and then run your main power circuit for your lights directly off your battery, you'll be able to operate your tower lights by holding down your interior light button for a few seconds (fourth one up from the right that looks like the bottom half of the sun). If you just push the button once, it will turn on your interior lights. If you push it and hold it, it controls the docking light circuit. Your tower lights will then run with your docking lights (if you have them).

As for your speakers, unless you're replacing the stock four channel amp, you'll probably want to run two pair in parallel and two pair in series, so that you end up with a four ohm load. This is assuming that two of your four channels are already powering the factory sub. Ideally, you'll add another amp for the sub and use the front channels of the stock four channel amp for the boat speakers, and the rear channels for the tower speakers. That way you can fade power to and from your towerspeakers. Have fun!

Scott Sax
Titan Wake Accessories

04 SANTE4.JPG

By Richard Lewis (dbay_rider) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 6:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks for all the advice and ideas i was out of town and couldn't check my post. The dental floss and tape should work great. Scott thanks for the info.

Rich

By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 10:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It won't make any audible difference, the lights are DC. You might hear a pop in the speakers when you turn the lights on, but that is not from the wiring layout.

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 11:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It WILL make a difference, route them on different sides.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com