Supra Launch SSV Compared to Tige 22V... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through April 01, 2004 » Supra Launch SSV Compared to Tige 22V/24V « Previous Next »
By Dave Chinn (hot4sun) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 6:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am in the process of purchasing the Supra Launch SSV, the Tige 22V or the Tige 24V. I took a demo on the SSV and the 22V on Saturday the Tige sales person said the 24V would handle the same and have the same wake. After the rides I still am not sure which one to purchase. I am looking for a boat that throws an excellent wake yet has a nice ride and is comfortable. Do any of these boats do everything excellent? I haven't rode behind any of these boats so I was wondering if anyone has and can compare the two boats. Also, any idea how do the boats ride in a little chop? Any known issues with either brand?

Thanks

By Jon Allen (jon_a) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The Supra will ride a little better in chop in my opinion. It has the cathedral style bow with a little deeper V than most inboards. It will cut through the chop better. Supra will beat the Tige price no prob. Also. Supra is a far better boat than Tige.

By Rod (xrated) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 7:26 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Whatever

By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 7:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dave,

I've ridden in both boats and the Tige 24v is a far superior boat in comfort and ride. The Tige is a much larger(and more expensive)boat.

The SSV is a great boat in it's own right, but it's in a different class. The SSV is a well built boat that competes with the X-2, the VLX, and the Super Air.

They are both capable of putting out a nice wake, but the shape is totally different. The SSV is a steep wake with a kick at the top. The Tige has a little more gradual shape to it but it's hard as hell, and will boot you if your not used to it.

By Kyle (hamkj) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 8:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have mentioned on other posts that I have looked at every boat ont he market and also talked to so many people about which boat is their favourite... I have spoken with the some of the people at Waterski and Wakeboard Mag.... one of their favourites is the 24V... their one tip was to get the bigger motor though...

I have driven many Tige's... they all ride nice in the chop... nice and deep and soft in the chop.

The Supra's are nice too...

But I would go with Tige IMO.

By Bo Coppinger (bcoppinger) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 8:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Supra

By Pat Borowski (bambamski) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Supra rides better in Chop?????????

Tige is when of the heaviest boats out there, there is no question to which boat is better in choppy waters.

By Alan (exodous) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 7:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It doesn't matter if Tige is the Heaviest boat ou there. That has nothing to do with it. Thats just more weight to get thrown around. It mainly all has to do with the hull and Supra has got Tige on that.

By NAW (ripr) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 7:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tige's do ride nice in chop. But look at the bottom profile of the SSV. The keel in the front is extremely deep. You can use the wakeplate to adjust the riding level of the keel, dependant on water conditions. Taps will essentially do the same, but the keel isn't as deep on the Tige. I've also found the Tige's to be just a little louder over the chop than the SSV's. Just my observations, but both are beautiful boats!

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 8:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Monday, February 02, 2004 - 7:50 am:

The SSV is a well built boat that competes with the X-2, the VLX, and the Super Air.

I'm not so sure about that. I respect your opinion Cliff, as you have extensive knowledge on boats, but I've ridden behind all of the boats you mentioned, and yes, they're all nice and are all quality boats, but, I wouldn't say it's up there w/ the X-2, VLX or the SAN. But, I'm not allowed to say what I've experienced since I don't own any of the aforementioned boats, or else it's an invitation for Jeff to rip on me.

By Scotty D (jinxton) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 8:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe if you want to get Jeff back just ask him how many times and how long he demos products!!!!

By matt (supraman) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 8:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pity party for Umali - party of one.

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 8:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh yeah...matt, too!

Seriously, though...I never said the SSV was a bad boat. It's one of the nicest boats around. I just didn't like the wake. But, that doesn't mean the next person won't like it either.

Scotty, since I'm movin' back to SoCal, I'll be making frequent trips to Vegas. Let's hook up!

By talltigeguy (talltigeguy) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 10:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've never ridden in a Supra, but I think my Tige handles chop very nicely. The Taps can be adjusted on the fly. Does the Supra have a plate that can be adjusted quickly or does it have to be done with a wrench like some I've seen?

Where did they get the idea of a Transom Adjustable Plate System?

By NAW (ripr) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 11:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes, the wakeplate that is standard on Supra's is hydraulically actuated by a lever on the steering column and has a corresponding gauge.

Concerning the use of a wakeplate device on an inboard, it's my understanding that Charley Pigeon (Tige) used to work for Skier's Choice, and perhaps borrowed the idea. At least that was the information given to me by Rick Tinker.

By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 11:53 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe,

I think you know where my loyalties are as far as wake superiority. Notice I didn't even bring that brand into the mix.

I like all of the boats that the SSV competes with.

On wake alone, I would pick Super Air, Malibu, X-2, and then SSV.

For comfort and layout, I would go with Malibu, SSV, X-2, and then Super Air.

In terms of bang for the buck, I would go SSV, Malibu, Super Air, and then X-2.

When I buy a new boat, I'll be leaning heavily towards the VLV unless something truly innovative comes along in this division.

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What's the VLV? Is that some top secret boat?

Yeah, the VLX wouldn't be a bad choice at all. My friend has an '03, and it's awesome...sick wake and awesome interior. He did have problems with the Wedge, but Malibu's addressed that issue already. There shouldn't be any more problems w/ the new Wedges.

You're rating above is pretty much the same as mine, except for the "comfort and layout" department. For me, the SAN would squeeze out the X-2, not because of its room, 'cause it's not any roomier, but because of quality and the "sports car" feel to it.

By Jason (scarabii) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Regaurding the Hydraulic Wakeplate(Skiers Choice Product), have any of you heard of bennett trim tabs? Regularly used on larger yachts in pairs, thats all it is, a single bennett tab..

By NAW (ripr) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yes, Jason, it is...hence the reason I specified "use of a wakeplate device on an inboard".

By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe,

VLX, I waited to long to edit. I'll just have to live with the shame of my phat finger indiscretion.

If your "Friend" has an 03 with a Raider's color scheme, I'll be riding behind it in Vegas a couple weeks from now.

Jason,

did you see the write up on the XLV yet?

By Joe Umali (dakid) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cliff, no, not that friend...another friend w/ an '03. I'm actually going to see and ride w/ her this Sunday! Doesn't Fisher have an '04? I could be wrong.

Oooh! Vegas! I'll be in SoCal...can I come, too?

By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Tuesday, February 03, 2004 - 12:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Maybe it is an 04. Either way I'll have my choice between the Yota, Christie's Bu, or Steve's Bu.

Talk to Christie for details of the trip.

By talltigeguy (talltigeguy) on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 12:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
NAW,

If that's true about Charlie Pigeon working first at skier's choice and taking the idea for Tige...then I'll shut up now.

Didn't Tige have some sort of patent on the TAPS? (a la CC and the tower?)

(Message edited by talltigeguy on February 05, 2004)

By NAW (ripr) on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 12:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Perhaps Rick could chime in and end all doubt. But I spent a few days working in the same booth as him at a recent boat show, and I heard it on a few occasions. I don't think he was meaning to insult Tige's inginuity, he's too classy for that.

As far as what all the patent entails... have fun.
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=5,549,071.WKU.&OS=PN/5,549,071&RS=PN/5,549,071

(Message edited by ripr on February 05, 2004)

By bill montanye (bill) on Thursday, February 05, 2004 - 1:32 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe the XLV is a Moomba 23ft Vdrive ..surprisingly nice wake ,huge solid tower, storage and room are great,auto adjustable wake plate and average interior.can have the GG sacks installed as an option to give the boat 2600lbs of ballast in ten minutes with the push of a button.Ive ridden behind a friends and the wake is pretty comparable to the other good wakes out there ..its sort of like a cross between SSV/VLX,,great for a 23fter and 46k loaded...

By b (banks) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 2:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would go with the 24v suppossedly all the pros are switching to the 24v cause it has a huge wake and handles realy well. tige' does have the smoothest ride imo. i have a 21i tige

By Matt Brown (goose) on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 6:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here are some facts that I know. Charlie Pigeon did at one time work for Supra. The older Supra's (before Tige's time) had adjustable cavitation plates that were adjustable with turnbuckles. Both Tige and Supra (and other manufacturers) use the Bennett trim tap as an adjustable trim tab in the center of the running surface of the boat. Tige also uses a different manufacturer of trim tabs on some of their boats. Tige does have a patent on it and how it works with their hull design. Neither Tige nor Supra nor Moomba have hook in the bottom of their boats, which is what allows the trim tab to work properly. A static hull with hook would not work the same as the Tige's, Supra's, Moomba's, etc. Hopefully that helps.

Matt Brown
Moomba Product Manager

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Unless your going to be the next Parks or Watson, any of the boats mentioned above will take you to any level your trying to get to as a wakeboarder.

I got a 22V last Summer with the 335EFI and absolutely love it. There has not been a good showing of Tige's in our area becuase they did not have a dealer until last year. It's almost a novelty around here and lots of people want to check it out and ride behind it, all have been very impressed with the boat and the wake.

The SSV seems to be a very nice boat as well, I only know one owner and he likes it. Since there is no Consumer Reports or other independent third party to really compare boats you get lots of opinions from passionate owners of all the boats.

By Al Koholik (al_kohol) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 3:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jon Allen (tool)
You must own a supra,and have never ridden behind a Tige.
I have had the opportunity to ride behind most of the big names out there,(I dont own a boat)and tige requires less ballast to get the same sized wake than any other, allowing the boat to perform the way its designed to.
Another point to make,with the taps you can significantly change the size/shape of the wake in seconds so those less experienced riders can learn on a smaller wake(bigger is not always better)take a lesson,learn how to load the line and have some fun...

By Jon Allen (jon_a) on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 4:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don't own a Supra and I have been in and behind every type of boat out there. I still say, Supra is a far better boat.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com