fuel stabalizer Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » fuel stabalizer « Previous Next »
By joe sprague (joeysprague) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 6:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm storing my 03' Centurion Elite V-drive indoor for the next 3-4 months. I thought at least storing it with a full tank of gas would reduce the buildup of condensation inside the fuel tank. However, is it necessary to use any kind of fuel stabalizer in addition to a full tank of gas?? Some have said yes while others have said no. Advice would be appreciated.

By christopher bushek (chrispy1) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 7:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i always put it in .

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 7:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
put some sta-bil in there. it will cost like $3 and keep you from worrying. I'd also fog the engine and drain the water.

By Lee Tudor (leetudor) on Saturday, November 08, 2003 - 7:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sta-bil says fuel starts to break down in 60 days, so it can only help the cause.

By Craig Isom (cisom) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 11:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Use the proper proportion of Sta-bil, fill the tank and run the boat on the hose for 10-15 minutes. That will get the stabilized fuel into the feed lines, pump and fuel delivery system.

By hitit (hitit) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 2:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It isnít that expensive, why not put it in?

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Friday, November 14, 2003 - 8:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Put the fuel stabilizer in and get at least 10 minutes of run time on the engine so the gas in the injectors and inside the engine is stabilized also.

For winter, from what I have learned recently, and I could be wrong:

1) Drain the water out
2) Add fuel stabilizer
3) Run antifreeze throught the motor to keep the seals lubricated if it is stored from Fall to Spring.
4) Fog the motor - ??? - someone please explain. I have that clueless look right now!

By Mark B (markb) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 6:35 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Remove all 8 spark plugs and spray fogging oil down each of the cylinders. I've also been told to spray fogging oil into the intake until the engine dies. I did this on my previous carbureted boat but don't do it on my new boats fuel injected engine because I'm not sure if I should. Anyone???

By joe sprague (joeysprague) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 12:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The guys at the shop where i take my boat (i.e. Mid State Marine in Paso Robles CA) said all i should do for storage of 3-5 months is drain the water and add fuel stabalizer, which i already did and parked it inside a garage. They didn't mention anything about running antifreeze through the motor and "fogging" the motor. Mark, when you run antifreeze through the motor, how do you do that exactly? just add to the oil? Also i live in southern CA so it doesn't get as cold as it does in the other parts of the country where the anitfreeze idea would be more applicable. Another way i look at storage procedure, and correct me if i'm wrong, but if i was to store my car or truck for 3-5 months i wouldn't do any of the above (i.e. fuel stablizer, fogging etc.); just park the thing. So are we going a little overboard on all this or are boat motors (in this case a 350 Mercruiser) that much different than, say, a Chevy Vortec 8 cylinder which i also have in my Silverado?

By Mark B (markb) on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 2:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Joe - The antifreeze goes in the cooling system only. Don't add anything to the oil. If you are sure that you are getting all the water out of the engine and lines there is probably no need to run the antifreeze through the cooling system. I drain mine and then just to be on the safe side run the antifreeze through it just in case there is some water left in the lines or somewhere. Fuel stabilizer and fogging are just a good idea, but for a short period of storage it isn't neccessary. You can probably get by without it but if it helps your boat last longer why not. Also, an easy way to run the antifreeze through is to disconnect the raw water intake hose from the through hull fitting, and hook a garden hose (or some other hose that will fit)into the end of it. Put the hose in a 5 gallon bucket with the antifreeze in it and run your boat until you see the antifreeze running out the exhaust. Usually it takes around 3 gallons of the pink stuff.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com