2000 x-star vs 2003 ssv Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » 2000 x-star vs 2003 ssv « Previous Next »
By todd osterhouse (osterhousetaz) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 3:00 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what's your take between a 00 x-star vs 2003 ssv when it comes to wake, performance and handling, and quality

By Mr. X "as in X-Star!" (easyrider) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 3:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Go with the X no matter what it takes!
X

By Rene Rioux (norcal_99) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 4:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nice pic Mr. X, but what I'd like to know is, why is that sweet boat sitting at anchor while you snap pics when it should be loaded up destroying that glass?

By doctor octagon (dococ) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 4:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
How many hours on each?

By Jason (scarabii) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 5:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Todd:

The SSV is going to have a better rough water ride, along with more interior room. The ballast is a fill at anytime while the X-star is only when at stand still, plus the SSV soft bags allow for a quick swap for larger bags if desired, not adding additional sacks. The 2003 will have a transferable warranty... Thats a big plus!!

By matt (supraman) on Tuesday, November 04, 2003 - 7:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My opinion: These boats are radically different in size. The X-star is small and is rapidly looking dated. The SSV has a bunch of extra features, including the hydraulic trim tab. The boats are almost in a different class in terms of interior room. The sunpad on the X-star takes up a ton of room. The wake on the SSV can be as big as almost any boat using the factory plumbing provided you use bigger sacks than the factory gives you. With the ability to have 2000 lbs. of out of sight ballast, the SSV can be a beast. I don't think you have that same option on the X-star, which means buying a first class wakeboard boat, and then still messing with fat sacks. Each boat wake has a unique shape, and you've got to judge for yourself which you like the best. The pros seem to find ways to get big air no matter who pulls the tournament. A closing consideration would be whether each boat has Perfect Pass.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Both boats are great, and each has its own strong points. However, you asked about wake, performance and handling, and quality.

Wake. Both boats put out large, clean wakes. Many people consider the X-Star (now X-2) to have a "better" wake, but I don't think so. Different? Sure. Better? You'll have to decide which one you like based on your own preferences.

Performance and handling. The X-Star is a lot smaller and handles a little more nimbly (assuming you don't experience the chine lock issue--which may or may not exist). Both boats have plenty of power for stock ballast, and both can benefit from re-propping if serious additional weight is added. The SSV has the wakeplate, which is very helpful for planing in a heavily-weighted boat. The X-Star has a lot more bow rise.

Quality. Conventional wisdom says MC's have superior quality--in part because they cost more. I'm skeptical. Skiers Choice uses quality materials from many of the same suppliers that MC uses (resin, gelcoat, vinyl, HDPE, engine, tower, etc.). Both boats can develop issues, so a key factor is dealer and factory support. Warranties also can be important.

There are additional factors to consider in this comparison, as others have noted. However, this is my take on the three matters you raised. BTW, I have a LOT more experience with an SSV than an X-Star.

By Maverick LTD (maverick_gear) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have ran both boats, i agree with jeff on the wake, both are very nice and clean, its personal preference.

as far as handling goes they both don't handle great with the amount of weight i run in them so i don't really know how it goes stock.
but the supra definetly goes better in the rough water expecially with the trim tab

Quality,
lets put it this way, i have been in alot of boats all my life and i have only been in 2 that sank the first was on a raft trip in my eagle 2500blow up that was overloaded with ummm,,, soda.... and the other was a 2002 X-30, mastercraft accidently forgets to sometimes seal the deck to the hull....

my opinion is all you are doing is paying an advertising bill for an MC with the exception of the new x-star that does have a cool wake,

clint and i ran the gravity all summer and it is a kickass boat not quite big enough for my taste but definetly a cool boat with great wakes.

jeff is also right about your dealer service level, if your dealer is gay you will never be satisfied with a boat

By Zack Stewart (raider40) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 10:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll go ahead and throw in my $.02 on this (keeping in mind I own a 02XStar X2 and ride behind SSV's weekly)......

Wake - The X2's wake is very steep with a good vertical lip to it while the SSV's wake is large and rampy. Think about the difference between a 3-stage and continuous rocker board and there ya go. I've removed the rear tanks in my X2 and replaced them with 500# bags - I still have to fill my front 500# bag by hand. The SSV's I ride on have the Gravity Games bags and are running around 2400# total (mine is around 2000#). Both wakes are great - just depends on what you like.

Performance and handling - My X2 has just as much room as the SSV does though I don't have the option to have stadium seating in mine. Mine handles a little better than the SSV does mainly due to the amount of weight and beam on the boats. The wakeplate on the SSV is great - in rough water I can't begin to keep up heading across a lake. The X2 does indeed have more bow rise.

Quality - as said above MC traditionally has better quality but having been around tons of both boats you cannot tell the difference. Skier's Choice puts out a great and realiable boat. Both the MC and Supra dealer here are great people and also avid riders so I'm not biased either way.

In my opinion I would get an X2 but obviously I'm biased because that's what I have. I love the peaky, bucking wake of the X2 vs. the rampy wake of the SSV. I know more than a few people with SSVs that wouldn't trade theirs for my X2 but still love the wake mine puts out. In the end either will be a great boat - make sure you go out and DEMO!

By Rene Rioux (norcal_99) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 12:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The choice between the `00 X and `03 SSV is easy. Go with the `03. There are a lot of options on the X in `01 & `02 that are not present on the X in `00.

By Jon Allen (jon_a) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 3:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
no question, the ssv

By wilson (3puttwilson) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 8:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I own an x2 and am very pleased..I would disagree with a couple of statements. First, the price I paid for my x2 was actually lower than what I could have bought a vlx for..It's true that MC retail prices are inflated but that's not what you pay...if you bargain right you can get a mc at or below the other brands..At least where I live.
As far as the X2/old xstar looking outdated, I think that is crazy.. You look at all the major brands and they all have a similiar design with the hulls, interior, towers,etc..
Also, you load down any boat with 2,000 lbs. of ballast and it will affect the way it handles..
One last thing..if you buy an older xstar you will want a different prop..to plane quicker

By David (tparider) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 6:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Rene Rioux - what options are not on the Xstar/X2 in 2000 that are on them in 2001 and 2002? Thanks for your help.

By Migitty Matt (migitty) on Sunday, November 09, 2003 - 6:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
David, besides changes in the graphics, the three panel back and the rear ballast are the only differences I can think of. The hull is identical. I have an '00 and absolutely love it. Great wake for both boarding and surfing. Very easy to keep from washing out.

By Rene Rioux (norcal_99) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 2:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
David, the three things Matt referenced plus perfect pass became standard on the X-Star in '02. Also, on the `02, you can fill the KGB ballast system while moving. Before `02 you had to be sitting still to fill. Also, there has been some minor tower and rack changes through the years.

The hulls are all identical like Matt said, and any year X-Star throws a world class wake.

By cdm (cdm) on Monday, November 10, 2003 - 5:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
They also added driver hop up seat, different engine upgrades, basic interior accents/color options (more chrome) and upgraded cruise control. Cannot remember, the bow light changed slightly too I think. Whatever... The X-Star will always withstand the test of time, I'm sure of that.. The SSV, I'm not as confident in. I did own a 00' X-Star and now an 03', so you know.. All I know is that you have to weight the ssv down a lot (more than the X-Star) to get an equal wake. It vibrates a bit too.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com