Noise from my MerCruiser?? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Noise from my MerCruiser?? « Previous Next »
By Terry Klein (wetirish) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 7:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I went out to change the oil on my MerCruiser 5.7L engine. I attached the Fake a Lake turned on the water and started the engine to warm it up before I changed the oil. Water was coming out of the back two pipes. I put it in a low idle and stood by for three minutes or so, went inside to get a cup off coffee, after about another two minutes I heard a load squealing noise? I ran outside, before I turned off the engine I looked at the gauges quickly, psi was at about 40, the temp was low?

I changed the oil and filter, I'm not sure if I should try starting the engine again or did I do some damage to the engine??

Thanks for your input.

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 8:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sounds like the impeller went out. When it happened to me the pump froze so the belt was squealing really bad. Did the fake-a-lake fall off? Maybe you didn't have the water turned on enough? How long has it been since the impeller has been changed?

Try starting the engine and see if the pump is turning. If the impeller is gone the pump may turn if the impeller is now in little pieces. Search the board for other posts about replacing your impeller and getting all of the pieces out of the engine.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Let me guess you put it at a low idle in gear? That is the noise the strut bearings make when they are not lubricated with water. They should be ok but never run your boat out of water in gear.

www.Wake-Me.com

By Terry Klein (wetirish) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 9:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Phaeton, your right I did put the boat in gear. Should I be concerned about any major damage to the strut bearings? Where are the strut bearings located and can I check them to see if there damaged?

Thanks for your help!

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'd make sure they didn't burn. No water lube will do that to you. Bearings are in the support. IIRC, you'll have to pull the shaft.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Depends on how hot the bearings got. Probably not a bad idea to change them out. The bearings are located in the prop shaft support under the boat. The shaft has to be removed and the bearings pressed or knocked out. The bearings themselves are inexpensive. Just takes time to replace them.

www.Wake-Me.com

By Terry Klein (wetirish) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the input. I will replace the impeller away, I don't know if it has ever been replaced? I'm not sure how hot the bearings got but I will look into replacing them as well.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com