Boatmate trailer part question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Boatmate trailer part question « Previous Next »
By Patrick (patrick) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 1:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Recently my trailer has jerked my tow vehicle quite a bit, after having someone else drive and watching it looks like a piece that was tight has become loose and is moving the trailer back and forth, but what I don't understand is what it does, it's right on the tongue of the trailer itself, not the ball socket part (whatever thats called), where a pin exists on both sides of the trailer tongue, kinda looks like:
_______________________________________/
( | ___________
( 2 | (____(1)____)
( |_________________________________

where 1 is the pin that moves the trailer back and forth when pulling and 2 is the trailer socket for the tow hitch ball. Any ideas?? Is something defective? Or does anyone know the purpose this exists... It never used to move and is a '03 trailer.

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 1:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
This *sounds* like the mechanical device that engages the trailer brakes. That pin (1) would slide fore/aft and as it slides aft it would compress the brakes.
Hitch

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 1:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is a better picture - is this the type you have?
trailer

By Patrick (patrick) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 2:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That 2nd picture is it. Right at the edge of the red swing away tongue you can see the pin with the forward and backward play. I actually just called Boatmate trailers and you're right it's the actuator (sp?) and it's for braking purposes, they suggested I get the brakes on the trailer checked out to make sure there isn't air in the line or something else.... just wierd that it's never been a problem before and it's not a normal feeling...

By tre (tre) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 2:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used Grants picture. Is this the part in question? If so, this is the master cylinder for the brakes. When the bolt is forward (closest to the ball), the brakes are off. When the bolt moves back, the brakes are applied. This movement is normal. If it moves too much, you may need to add brake fluid (DOT 3 on a Boatmate). If the fluid is too low, you may need to bleed the air out of the brakes.

By tre (tre) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 2:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Patrick,

You beat me to it. Check the fluid level. See the black cap on the top of the tounge? Pry that off with a screw driver. There will be another cap in there. Pry the second cap off with a screw driver. The fluid should be near the top.

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 6:42 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I consider myself the master of these trailers since I have taken that tongue apart about 5 times and reassembled it. That should move. That is what actuates the brakes on the trailer. When you stop, the force of the trailer pushing against the tongue pushes it in and engages the brakes. You do not have a problem here, unless you brakes aren't working. The best way to check them is disconnect the wiring and back up a slight incline. If the trailer stops, then it works good. If that pin is sliding all the way back and nothing is happening there is a problem. Look for brake fluid around the wheels and front axle.

Once you get over the intimidation factor of this brake/tongue assembly it is quite simple to work on. The only things holding that piece together are those two pins. You pull those out, disconnect the brake line, and it all slides right on out.

By notidad (noti_dad) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 1:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've got the same problem and have traced it back to being a bad valve. Haven't pulled it apart yet but am sure that's it. Any suggestions on where to get parts? It's a 8YO R&S Trailer (they're not in biz anymore).

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 2:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The parts on the boatmate trailers are UFP. They say to use brake parts from an early 80's Ford Pinto. I'd have to double check that. I remember reading it several years ago when I got the boat/trailer.

Notidad, do you know who made the brake parts? UFP makes te bearing buddies too. UFP is Unique Function Products I believe, and they havea website.

By notidad (noti_dad) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 2:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don't know who made the brake mechanism on the tongue. I do agree with the Pinto parts or atleast check for Ford something. I've found shoes and drums were Ford, don't know about the Pinto. I'm taking it apart soon. If I can't find parts I may just go and have a new one put on. Thanks.

By mcfatty (mcfatty) on Wednesday, November 05, 2003 - 2:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was told it was parts from Kia.(rotors,pads)

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Thursday, November 06, 2003 - 10:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Possible. Kia uses parts from Ford. Very possible.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com