Audio gear - marine? theft? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Audio gear - marine? theft? « Previous Next »
By pops (pops) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 10:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
As we look into installing a good quality system to our boat, I get very nervous about a couple of things.
1) is most boat audio equipment just car audio equipment? how important is marine grade audio (like Clarion makes - perhaps others)?
2) what measures do I take to prevent theft - boats are hardly secure and great speakers hanging off a tower just scream "there's more good stuff in the boat" - what do you all do?
Appreciate your help!

By Michael Tyler (cowboy0123) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 3:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have had high end marine grade audio fail after only a couple of seasons, I since went to car audio equipment. I am able to keep my head unit dry is why I went to car audio. Depends on your application. If you are leaving your boat at a storage place I would suggest quick disconnects and a removeable face plate. These are quick and easy to do, and remove most of the appeal your boat would have for theft.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 7:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I went with marine audio for the speakers in the cockpit near the floor figuring they would get more water on them than the others. The head, sub, amp and tower speakers as car audio are what you will find in most boats.

For security I always put the tower down and cover the boat so there is nothing enticing someone to look further. I have not heard of theft being a problem around the Atlanta lakes. Is this a huge problem in some areas?

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com