Anyone added a lift kit to trailer? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Anyone added a lift kit to trailer? « Previous Next »
By Terry Klein (wetirish) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 3:13 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone added a 3" or more lift kit to their boat trailer? I need to raise my trailer some to clear my driveway. I welded steel casters to the trailer, but it just high centers and drags the caster into the driveway and gauges the cement xx#!!!

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 5:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Terry, we had a similar problem. I fashioned some ramps out of wood which fill in the low spot so to speak and keep the trailer off the driveway.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 5:44 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Huh what do you mean? On the driveway or the trailer?

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 6:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
what kind of trailer do you have?
More specifically what kind of springs?
If you have a torsion bar trailer you can make
a significant adjustment to the height without a lift kit.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 7:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My driveway is out because of the cage on the trailer under the prop and rudder, it's very steep. I thought about 2" longer U-Bolts and 2" spacers between the spring and axle (already below the springs) to get a little more height. It even scrapes and the gas station I normally go to but not bad. I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not???

By Chris Molidor (cdm) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 8:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should look into some adjustable air ride suspension... no, kidding.. Keep it simple. Look into a drop down receiver. This will raise the back end a bit. The ramps are a good idea too.

By Mark B (markb) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 9:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Same problem here, but I think raising the height of the trailer would cause me even more grief at the ramp. I would think you would have to back your truck really far into the lake if you raise the trailer height. Does anyone make bolt on rollers (dolly wheels) for trailers?

By Sean M (magic) on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 10:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Have you tried dropping the hitch?

With my drive way a 2" drop causes the prop guard to drag.

With a 4" drop I can get it right up with out dragging.

On flat ground the 4" drop hitch is a bit low but not to bad. I've been towing with it for 2 seasons.

By steve z. (steve2237) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 7:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well one of the monoleaf springs on my 2001 sanger trailer snapped on me. ugh that was fun times at the launch ramp. but anyways, i replaced all four springs with higher capacity, 5 leaf springs. now my trailer sits about 2 inches higher, and it doesn't scrape of my driveway like it used to. The set of springs only cost me about 100 bucks, and they arent hard to put in.

By Joe (joe_788) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 8:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
A buddy of mine lifted the trailer on his 99 Centurion. It was actually a form over function operation. He installed 3 inch blocks, American Eagle 589 rims, and little bitty Swamper Radials. It looked kind of cool behind his truck (same rims and tires, only bigger). Anybody that's ever launched a boat pretty much rolls their eyes when they see it (including me).

He has to get the truck pretty deep in the water to get the boat off. On the plus side, the trailer doesn't drag ANYWHERE.

By Maverick LTD (maverick_gear) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 9:16 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
on the flipside i wonder if watson has found a way to lower his boat trailer yet? it would go right along with the 'Dition and the boat would come off easier

By Terry Klein (wetirish) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 10:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bruce, I did make some wooden ramps, this did help the drag, but it's kind of a hassle pulling out the ramps each time I go in and out of the garage and positioning the ramps.

By Terry Klein (wetirish) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 10:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sean, I think I will try a 4" drop to my hitch, this may be the easiest. Any problems with the way your boat pulls or at the launch?

By Sean M (magic) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 12:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Terry, I have not had any problems with 4" drop hitch. It's also an extended one, sits a bit further a way from the bumper. I find it easier to back up with it than a normal hitch with out the additional length.

I tow with a 3/4 ton Suburban and it sits up a bit high in rear, so the 4" is fine. I'd try a 3" if I could find one. Only seen 2", 4", 6"... in the local shops.

By Tony M (gunslinger) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 2:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You might try an ajustable hitch. The height is adjustable so you can adjust it so the trailer is towed level, but lower or raise it before you use your driveway. Just use the trailer jack to take the pressure off the hitch, pull the pin, lower the jack, and re-insert the pin at a lower position.......then just pull into your driveway. That way it's low when you need it to be, and perfectly level when you don't. There alot of companies that make adjustable height hitches....just search "adjustable hitch" on the web.

Tony M

(Message edited by gunslinger on October 17, 2003)

By Michael Abercrombie (rzmike) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
--what kind of trailer do you have?
More specifically what kind of springs?
If you have a torsion bar trailer you can make
a significant adjustment to the height without a lift kit. --

Kevin, what kind of adjustment are you talking about? I've got torsion bar axles and need more height.

By Pierce Bronkite (pierce_bronkite) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 3:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 7 3/4" drop on my Hitch. I bought it at the local U-Haul. I had a 2" on my Powerstoke, but that scraped everywhere being that my truck is somewhat tall. I rarely scrape now.

(Message edited by Pierce Bronkite on October 17, 2003)

By Kevin R Baugh (krbaugh) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 4:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You can raise the trailer several inches by adjusting the trailing arms. If you look at the arms that are attatched to the torshion bars losen them and rotate them evenly so that the bed of the trailer goes up. Fast and easy fix

By Michael Abercrombie (rzmike) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 5:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'll try that - thanks

By Kirk (kirk) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 5:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Buy a new house... priorities ya know.

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 6:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Try backing into the driveway at an angle, then straightening out when your trailers on the driveway. Its just like driving a lowered car if you ever had. The only time my trailer ever hits is if I pull straight out of a steep parking lot into the street and not get any angle on it. Give that a try before spending any money on the trailer

By Patrick (faceplant409) on Saturday, October 18, 2003 - 10:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I thought of using air bags between the spring and trailer and mount a small air tank hidden away somewhere under the wheel well. Fill the tank before you take it out of garage, fill bags to get out of driveway, deflate bags. You should still have enough air in tank to fill bags after a day boating.

By Terry Klein (wetirish) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:14 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for all the great ideas! I think I might try the ajustable hitch I have seen them in a local sporting goods store for about $40. I have a Calabria trailer, I don't belive that it is a torsion bar trailer?

By Craig Fulton (oldschool) on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have this same problem if I back straight in. I just take it on a 45 degree angle and don't get any drag.

(Message edited by oldschool on October 20, 2003)

(Message edited by oldschool on October 20, 2003)

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com