Brake caliper getting hung-up (03 X2)... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Brake caliper getting hung-up (03 X2). What's fix? « Previous Next »
By Fredrik Broen (fbroen) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 7:19 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Had the trailer brakes (surge) staying at least partly engaged while driving yesterday. Drivers's side only. Not enough to really notice while driving, but discs / brake pads were stinky and very hot after a 6 mile or so drive back from the ramp.

Actuator seems to be functioning as normal (at least compresses and extends as usual), and trailer breaks fine. Is there anything that I can look at to try and figure our what's up. It is a bit of a drive to the dealer, and am afraid that I will screw up more things by driving it there and it getting real hot.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fredrik

By DJL (dholio) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 7:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
take it to the dealer and screw it up more. It should all be under warranty.

By Levi Cress (levi) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 10:40 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You may want to just call the dealer and suggest they send someone out to your trailer. I wouldn't think they'd want you to damage it further if they could fix it at your place? Or maybe you could disconnect the calipers for the drive to the dealer? I'm not mechanic though...

By Boats N Boards (hlboatsnboards) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey Levi, whats goin on bro?

I certainly wouldn't disconnect that caliper. Only way to do that would result in having NO brakes at all on the trailer and a mess of brake fluid. As a dealer myself, I think I would much rather have the customer call me and make it my problem to fix. More often then not customers tend to try and "fix" things themselves and ends up costing them in the long run.

Bill

By Whirlybird (switch) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Fbroen: Try and bleed the brakes if you know how, there could be a small something in the line, Causing the brakes to not work in the correct way. If you do not know what you are doing PLEASE call your dealer. I agree with Bill and let the dealer "fix" the problem.

By Fredrik Broen (fbroen) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 12:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, I know where the bleader valves are on the brakes, but have never bled brakes myself. Just out of curiosity, how is it done?

Switch, so you think this little something may be stuck in the brake line causing it to be under pressure leading to constant braking?

Someone suggested to me that the brakes may be a bit rusty so that the calipers could not move back as they should. How do they move back in the first place, are they springloaded somehow? Either way, trailer is only 7 months old and has no signs of rust.

Thanks.

Fredrik

By Whirlybird (switch) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 1:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not seeing the trailer it is very hard for someone like myself or Bill to solve the issue. Have you taken the wheel off? If so can you see the brake caliper? Dose it seem like it is a bind? Mybe there is a recall on this issue, I would call the Dealer and ask them for advise. Anyway this is only a chatroom I would call your dealer first before you do something wrong.

By matt moss (mossy44) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 2:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i had problems with my '02 trailer for a while. at first they thought it was the actuator. then they ended up finding a kink in the brake line which was the cause of the brakes not releasing when accelerating. they thought they had the problem fixed, but in the end, they had to fix the kink and put on a new actuator. i am not real sure why the new actuator was necessary if the kink was the problem, but whatever it was, it is now fixed. not sure if that helps at all, but i did have the same problem.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com