Serious Electrical Problem!! Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Serious Electrical Problem!! « Previous Next »
By Brian Tochman (thetoch) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 4:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 93 prostar 190. My voltmeter never reads more than 10 or so, and I just got my alternator rebuilt. Now my starter just clicks when I turn the key. After about 2-4 tries nothing happens. If I press the red reset button on the back of the engine sometimes it will click again when I turn the key and sometimes that doesnt help at all. I dont know what to do. And I know the dealer will eat me alive on labor and repairs for the electrical. Does anyone know whats goin on?

By DJL (dholio) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 5:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
relay or starter. Make sure your battery terminals are very very clean also.

By Bill Pence (00prostar205v) on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 6:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would start with a new battery unless you are sure yours is good. If it doesn't do the trick you could always return it.

By Tommy (laptom) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 3:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Test the battery on how it holds it capacity. And check the voltage of the battery. It should be +12,5V when nothing happens.
When these things looks good, check the relay of the starter. Check all ground wires and see if the relay get it 12,5V signal for starting.
Also the tip of DJL is good.

Good luck

By Mike Morris (upupnaway) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 8:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a bad starter do the same thing. The solenoid was shot.
I would assume it is a G.M. based engine?
if so, there are 2 large bolts and 2 small bolts on the solenoid. check voltage from the bolt that your positive (red) cable connected to it. see how many volts you have. then, very carefully get an alligator clip, or tape a wire to the post that has a cable from the starter to solenoid (or if it is more accessible, attatch it to the starter housing end). use the extension wire to check voltage on that post as someone tries to start the motor.
If you have strong voltage going in to the solenoid, and crap coming out, there ya go.

By Mike Morris (upupnaway) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 8:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
FYI, you probably have a nice strong 12 volts, the volotmeters they put in cars and boats are usually only accurate enough to tell you if you have good voltage, some voltage, or no voltage.

By Paul Confer (808wake) on Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 11:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i had the same problem, with a loose battery cable. it took me burning my fingers to understand the importance of good and clean battery connection at the battery terminal.

Aloha

By salty87 (salty87) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
has the new alternator had a chance to charge the old battery?....starter isn't spinning at all?

*if you don't have a decent digital voltmeter, nows the time to shell out $15. you'll find uses for it later too. you can test the battery, the amount of charge getting to the solenoid, and the amount getting to the starter.

*start with a good battery, new/old/out of your truck, doesn't matter as long as you know its got a good charge.

*clean up the battery and starter cable connections (disconnect, remove any crud that's built up, sand down to expose clean metal, and put it all back together with good clean washers and nuts). give it a shot starting with the good battery and clean connections.

*if it doesn't start, see if any of the cables are hot to the touch (at the starter, at the solenoid, the ground too). this can give you an idea of where the resistance is coming from or you can also use the voltmeter to measure it.

let us know what you find

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com