Help me find a new boat Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Help me find a new boat « Previous Next »
By david mannery (wakedisco) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 9:04 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hi,

We are considering trading our 2002 20' Stingray runabout for a wakeboard boat and are looking for advise. We have 2 main concerns
1-Cost
2-Wake

I think we want to buy NEW, We would like to keep the cost down if possible but get a boat that will give us a good enough ride that we will be happy with(a wake that riders prefer)Any thoughts/suggestions on Make/model/options???

Thanks in advance! David

By Mark B. (sickboy) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 1:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Welcome to the board David. There is a ton of good information here. One thing I would suggest; Try doing a search of the board, using "best boat" as your search criteria. You'll come up with a ton of good information, as this subject has been discussed at great lengths, many times.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 2:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is a Calabria dealer in Portland that has a helluva reputation.

I have a Sanger V210 About $37K for a loaded one. (tower, racks etc.) Great wake great price.

By david mannery (wakedisco) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 2:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Mark I will take your sugestion and do a search. Before I posted, I thought it was a subject I could search on the site for old threads... I guess I was trying to cheat

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 2:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I hear good reviews from Moomba owners. The Mobius is supposed to be a very good cost effective boat. Sangers sound reasonable too.

By todd alan (obayb) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 3:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
we just did the same thing we had a 2003 sea ray srx with a 220 hp on it but we started wakeboarding and fell in love with it we only had 23 hours on the sea say but we went into a malibu wakesetter 2004 great boat the price will not shock you and the boat is the best!!! check out malibu the wakesetter will do what you want!!!

By david mannery (wakedisco) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 3:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Guy's, I will keep an eye on this post for replies. We have been looking at Moomba's and Supra's. I will continue my search and re-search.

I have to say I was getting a little frustrated trying to search old threads. I spent a little over a half hour or so reading through posts and it seemed like it was a pissing contest or boat bash fest. Maybe thats why mark did not want to see the topic again.

Thanks for the reply todd we are exactly in your situation. Congrat's on the new boat! Was the wake worth the $$? I can't wait to try a real wake!

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 3:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
David, Welcome to WW.

Looks like another NW member.

The dealer you work with will be an important factor. Demo Demo Demo. Boat show is coming up if you want to be able to compare brands side by side. How many people do you plan of having in the boat? Direct drive or V drive? Kids or no kids. What $ range… are you trying to stay under. What other boats have you driven in or ridden behind that you liked. Boats and wakes are all about personal preference.

I am sure you can get hooked up with the lake Sammamish regulars and get out on a few different boat brands. Most of us will be out all winter.

Check Skimasters on the N end of lake WA…they carry Moomba. Also check Pro Tour in Kirkland if you want to see the Calabria boats. Bakes on the east side carries Malibu. You will need to drive a bit south to check out Mastercraft or CC. You have lots of options.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 6:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Active Water Sports has Moombas and other boats and their support and service is outstanding. Talk to Matt at the beaverton store, or Jay in service.

By Wes (wes_the_gimp) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 7:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Second the Sanger V210. Not too pricey. Awesome wake!

By sydwayz (sydwayz) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 7:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
David,
Check out Pro Tour watersports in Kirkland. Cameron is the owner. They sell Calabria. Cameron is a great guy. Very good prices on his V drives. Also has a lot of used boats too.

By Bill Pence (00prostar205v) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 10:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My dad has a 30 year old Sanger flatbottom that will do 85 mph before I can set my Coke can in the swiveling side mount drink holder which I installed because, you got it, Sanger was a little weak in the factory installed cup holder dept in '72. They are, however, weak in no other area. V210 great boat, excellent value, and this is from a current Mastercraft owner who used to have a 94 Sanger DLX.

By Bill Pence (00prostar205v) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 10:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That 94 DLX did have cup holders. 4 of them I think! A new v210 may even have more!!

Why would anybody want a Moomba when they could have a Sanger for just a bit more?

By david mannery (wakedisco) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 7:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks again everyone! Sanger is one boat we have not considered yet. We will deffinately look into all the options. We do want a V drive and will have kids on board usually play with 3-6 on board and possibly more at times. As for the $$ amount, I guess it depends on how well we do with our trade in. For sure $ matters for us and will be a big factor in our decision. Sanger V210 sounds like it may be a good fit, I will have to check it out. Oh, I have never been on a comp boat or behind one, I will make sure and do some on the water tests before we purchase.

Much Appreciation!
...David

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 7:43 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
David you are going to be amazed at the comp boats.

Bill I just don't like the looks of the Sangers, I respect them for being a great boat by the sounds of it but it is just personal taste. Also I believe if you are comparing v-drive to v-drive they are the same price.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 7:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh and pro tour does have kick ass prices.

By david mannery (wakedisco) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 8:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The one thing I forgot to mention is we have a size restriction due to garage size. I don't think we can go much bigger than 21'

I noticed the Cal-Air pro V is almost 24' long, I am not sure that is going to work out for us. I have to keep my boat garaged! This site is great, I'm glad I ran into it. It was recomended to me from a guy on Lake Samamish.

By Bill Pence (00prostar205v) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 8:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Good point coming from a family style runabout into a comp ski/wakeboard board will be a delight. Indeed there are alot of good choices out there.
One thing about Sanger is they are, with the exception of possibly Tige, the only builder that to my knowledge still uses wood construction. Sanger will tell you it is the correct way to build strong boat. The rest of the industry uses all fiberglass construction. I do not really know which is better(probably pros and cons to each). I do know it is always better to know what you are buying.

By xxxl wake (swpmwinc) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 9:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
David the Pro - V is 21'4" without the platform 23'6"with the platform. You might want to send a message to Jeff Reese he is currently on the boat search in your neck of the woods. I know he is looking for a bigger V drive.

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
www.sangerboats.com

By Chris Neelley (hatepwcs) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/85574.html?1065806240

By dane (greatdane) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
See my profile: I believe it captures CC/MC/BU.
Sanger is also a great choice for value/wake.

By B T Lowe (ofwc) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 2:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your options include (roughly in descending price order):

Correct Craft
MasterCraft
Malibu
Supra
Calabria
MB Sports
Tige
Centurion
Supreme
Sanger
Moomba

Each has a 20 - 21' flagship wakeboarding model.

Check here for videos, "reviews", and web links on all the boats:

http://www.waterskimag.com/article.jsp?ID=7309

Check www.boattraderonline.com and www.flipsell.com for year-end deals on closeout boats.

(Message edited by ofwc on October 10, 2003)

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 3:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check out the new Tige' Switch series, saw one the other day. Nice boat, though it is their first year in production "the Switch series not Tige' themselves", but you can get a V-Drive new in the 35K range! They are targeting the Moomba price/type boat lines out there. Price wise I "think" they have them beat, but bottom line get out and drive/ride behind one in each of the price ranges you can afford. Once you find a good value/price point for your needs, drive and ride in all the boats in that price range. Take your time, also the dealer in your area and their reputation for service/warranty issues should be the final deciding factor, if you are stuck between two different choices in the end.

The worse thing to do is to rush out and buy something "it's easy to do when it's your first time driving in a tournament inboard, it will be night and day from the type of boats your accustomed to", then come across boats you like better down the road, that you wished you had bought, over your rushed choice.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com