How to winter an inboard Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » How to winter an inboard « Previous Next »
By kev macarthur (lochindaal) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 7:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hi all, always had an outboard until this season and I've no idea how to winter an inboard. All advice appreciated.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 7:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
That makes two of us Kev. There are plugs on the bottom of the block I know need to be removed to drain the water out but would love a link to a good writeup on this.

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 8:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
My favorite article on this sub:

http://www.aquaskier.com/articles/boat_storage_and_winterization.htm

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 12:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Make sure to read the winter and spring start up instruction. In the winterization they never mention disconnectiong the manifold drain hoses!!!!!! Then in the spring start up they tell you to reconnect the hoses which they never told you to disconnect in the first place. These MUST be disconnected in order to winterize the boat properly. They only tell you to drain using the drain plugs!!!!!!

By mark (propkiller) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 12:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I always buy the service manual for everything I own that has a motor in it. It will tell you step by step how to do all the maintainence and service intervals. They are relatively cheap compaired to a repair bill.

By notidad (noti_dad) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 1:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Great article Grant. One more thing I do is loosen/remove the belts so they can hang freely. I found they form to the tightened shape when left alone over the winter and want to slip and squeal in the spring.

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 2:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Step number 9 says to remove drain plugs. Older boats had plugs on the back of the manifolds. Now they usually use a garden hose to connect them both and you can quickly disconnect that to drain them. Either way, Andrew is correct, these MUST be drained.

In fact, if you think you might make it out again for a quick run, the bare-minimum you can do from this list is #9, #10, #11, #12, #18 and #19 and you will not freeze anything. I did this for a friend who was on international travel and was worried he'd not get back in time to do his full winter service.

By DJL (dholio) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 2:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wouldn't follow that article. It is missing a few steps on there.

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 3:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2002/winterization1.asp

By Whirlybird (switch) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 4:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kev what year boat do you have, along with what brand motor expample merc. inmar. pcm. Mybe I can help.

By kev macarthur (lochindaal) on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 2:34 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It is a 1982 PCM351

By Joel Leger (jleger98) on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 9:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Try this:
http://www.skidim.com/DIMwintertechtips.asp

The guys at SkiDim are sharp. I've only been into boating for about a year, these guys are invaluable to me. (and no I don't work for em)

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 6:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
what's the best way to run antifreeze through the system, i have a flushpro, but i have heard that pouring it straight into the manifold and engine block inlet hoses is better

By ALee (aaronlee13) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
dont want this to happen

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
holy shizzle that sucks, must have been really cold, heater must have died, allowing pipes to burst and make thier cars into ice climbing apparatus'

nice touch on the AAA poster in the back

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com