Alternatives to water ballast. Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Alternatives to water ballast. « Previous Next »
By Greg Wasson (lhlocal) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 12:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Still fairly new to the ownership of a wakeboard boat. I have an 03 VLX w/ stok ballast and wedge. With a boat load of people, the wake is awesome. With only a couple its still nice. I have a guy I can get metal from is any size I want for $.40/lb. I'd like to add 600 lbs. Has anyone had good/bad experiences with this? Can you trailer with that much weight? (Its less than 1/2 mile from house to launch) I would appreciate any help.

By charley carvalho (wakeeater) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 2:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
yes it should be able to easily just be careful if your trailer is on mono springs. my friends had one break on them and we had ta leave the boat there

By Joe (joe_788) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 4:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We use 500lbs of cast iron tractor counter wieghts from a local farm where I used to work. 3 in the back, and two in the front (1985 Prostar 190). This was not enough, so we went to Home Depot and bought two very large Rubbermaid containers. They fit perfect in the boat, one on either side of the motor, it's almost as if they were made for it. We pulled up to First Beach in Knights Landing (Sac River), and filled each tub up to the brim with sand, then popped the lids on. These tubs are 92 quarts each, it is A LOT of sand.

This is definitely a ghetto ballast system, but it's only a temporary fix until the winter, when we will build a custom hard tank system worth about 1200 lbs.

We've made about 20 trips with all of this weight on the trailer, and have encountered no problems yet. However, we only drive 15 minutes to the river. If this was a newer boat, I don't think we would have ever even considered putting all of this crap in it.

By Greg Wasson (lhlocal) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 5:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the help. I have an eagle tandem trailer, and wouldnt even consider trailering that much weight, but its a 20 mph drive less than half mile. My parents also live on the lake, so I could always store my weight there. Im just trying to decide what size to use, and how to keep it from shifting and trashing the boat. I have not had much luck with the stocke ballast tanks(3 broken pumps and 2 broken fittings) so Id like to avoid water. Thanks for all the advice so far. Its appreciated.

By Joe (joe_788) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 6:14 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
If you're only trailering for a half mile at 20mph, you can probably load the of that thing without ever worrying about trailer or hull problems. Keep in mind we're carrying 1000+lbs of extra weight on a single axle trailer.

If you want to use steel or cast iron, the density is about .275lbs per square inch. Just make a drawing of the size/shape you want and figure out the volume, then multiply by .275 and that's your weight.

You can try www.leadheadz.com, but if you can buy steel at .40 per pound, you'd probably be better off doing it yourself.

Just so you can get an idea of size vs. weight of steel plate, a 12"x12"x1" plate weighs 40lbs.

(Message edited by Joe 788 on October 08, 2003)

By Jason Buffalow (buffalow) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 7:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have an '04 VLX and have always used lead/sacks as a filler. Right now I am using lead in the front and back. I tow a fair amount with it and never had an issue. Raw lead at a scrap dealer will be about .35 and will be dirty. Cope's in santa clara sells the bars that are nice and coaded and I think they are around 1.00.

I personally suggest about 350 weight in the fron on top of the MLS for total weight of about 800-900 lbs. For the rear I recommend about 250 each side plus wedge, and tanks.

Good luck

By Porter (mikep) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 11:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Greg. The best thing you could do would be to buy two 550 pound launch pads with the holes on the sides and the tops of the sacks and switch those hard tanks out for the 550 pound sacks. You will see a huge improvement on your wake. The Malibu boat owners web site has directions on how to do this. If it was me I'd do that and then add an extra 5-600 in lead and your wake will be sick even with just a few people. Good luck.

By Greg Wasson (lhlocal) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 2:39 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Porter
Thats a real good idea. To me the hard tanks are a little of a waste anyway. I havent ever stored anything but the cover in the rear compartments anyway. That gets the weight I want in the rear of the boat, without having to do any major plumbing, and I can stick my metal in the bow to cut down on the bowrise. Even with the flip bolster the wife has a hard time seeing at times. Any ideas on how to secure the metal I do put in? I was going to paint it or coat it someway to keep it from rusting, but I was wondering what I could do to keep it from shifting. I was planning on filling the compartments under the bow seats. Thanks for all he help so far. You guys are great. My next question will deal with mounting speakers on one of 5 illusion towers they sold.

By Porter (mikep) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 2:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought 56 pound blocks of lead from Non-Ferrous Metals in Seattle for about $.60/pound. I then coated them with some kind of liquid rubber that I bought at Home Depot and carpeted them to match my boat. They are so heavy there is no reason to secure them. How heavy is your metal?

By Greg Wasson (lhlocal) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 8:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I dont know the type of metal, but I can buy any dimension I want. With the book Im ordering it from, it lets me know he weight per foot in any given dimension. I just have to buy a 20 ft length. The guy Im ordering through will cut them in whatever lengths I want, and even weld on some type of handles if I need them. I will check out the rubber coating at home depot. I like that better than just painting them. I think Im gonna do the side sacks in back to replace the too small hard tanks, and then put 4 to 500 in the front. Maybe add a little in the center compartment if theres room. Thanks for the help.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com