Stereo guru question Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Stereo guru question « Previous Next »
By Kent Armstrong (kent) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 9:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I just finished installing my system in my 21i. It came with an amp powering 4 6 6.5's and the deck was running 2 6.5's.
So I ran a set of tweeters off of the other deck channel, then installed an amp to run two 10s out of my previous boat. I spliced into the remote wire, it already had an rca for twin amps so that was easy to plug into, ran the ground power ect. it works, but the sub amp keeps turning on and off. I checked every wire and its all ok, is there someway mabye im overloading something now? any ideas??

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 10:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kent,
The amp may have a safety feature to turn it self off if it’s not getting enough power. I know I was blowing fused on my sub amp when running my pumps/ heater/ lights and trying to crank the stereo too. Are you running other accessories??

Are you running separate power lines for each amp or did you bridge them? Double check your remote wire connection. Is you battery fully charged? Are you having the issues while the boat is running or off?

When my battery ran low cause of a slipping belt on the alternator… my stereo would start cutting out… battery was too low and the amp would turn itself off.

I say it’s a voltage issue or a bad connection on the remote wire.

By Kent Armstrong (kent) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 11:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks, that may be the case. I am running seperate power lines for each, but the boat has been out of water for winter and hasnt been running, and i had run the stereo for a few hours before while i was cleaning the boat. The problem did seem to be mostly when I turned the stereo up. So if I charge the battery should it solve the problem at least for a couple minutes so I know that its not my remote wire connection?
thanks alot jeff.

By John (hyperryd) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 12:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
What ohm load are your 10's and what load is your amp stable at. It sounds like you are running a 2ohm load on a 4ohm amp. Just a thought.

By Kent Armstrong (kent) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 6:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
it could be, im sure they are both 4 though. the amp kicks out when we turn it up, so i figure the lack of power may be it. ill check the ohm load though.the speaker out has two positive and two negative outs, so if i wired from one of the positives into the negative of the other output would that make a difference?

By William (sonicr1) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 12:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You need more juice from your battery, get a capacitor and/or another battery.

By Kent Armstrong (kent) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The second battery I was definatley thinking about, will the capacitator do anyhting with just the one battery?

By Doug Hanson (xtigeman) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 1:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Second battery and a capacitor will do absolutely nothing to solve your problem. May even make it worse. Your clipping or over heating. If it is a volt issue (dropping below 10.5), you would hear static and distortion before it completely cut out. Is this is the case, use thicker wire or get a larger alternator. If goes from music to no music with static in between, you are in a thermal protection mode for some reason. Best beat would be running 1 ohm or 2 ohm mono on an amp rated at 4 ohm mono or just turning it up too loud. If you run wires from positive to negative, you will be running parallel and you will double your ohm (8ohm for each speaker and 4 ohm if both run off a single channel).

A second batter will not increase your voltage when the engine is running. It will only allow you to play music longer when the engine is off.

(Message edited by xtigeman on October 10, 2003)

By Kent Armstrong (kent) on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 3:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ok, thanks doug. I havent been able to test it yet with the boat running so Im going to drop it in the water tomorrow and hopefully figure this out before I winterize it. It sounds clear but as I turn it up it cuts out. With the stock system we ususally had it at about 20 on the deck when underway but with the extra amp it has been cutting itself out at 9-10.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com