tower speakers (2ohm vs 4ohm) Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » tower speakers (2ohm vs 4ohm) « Previous Next »
By Craig Blevins (macelfresh) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 7:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i will be installing 2 additional tower speakers on a friends boat. boat came from factory with 2 tower speakers. i don't have a problem running extra wire for new speakers but i know could just hook up 2 speakers in parallel cause the amp cam handel a 2 ohm load. what are the pros anc cons of runing speakers a 2ohm? what is better 4 speakers and a 2 channel amp or 4 speakers and a 4 channel amp? i know it would be cheeper to run 2 channel amp at 2ohm. any thoughts???

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 8:27 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It all depends. For now, depending on your setup, you can probably get away with running your tower at 2 ohms. The advantage is that you won't have to buy any new hardware (other than the speakers) and it will make more efficient use of the amps power. The downside will be a slight increase in THD, and that it will require more power from your charging system.

The big thing that will decide whether or not you want to do this are the speakers you're running. By setting things up at 2 ohm, you won't have independant control over the frequencies you're sending to the speakers. If you're running two pairs of the same speakers that won't be a problem. Since I'm assuming you would be purchasing the second pair of speakers now, you can match them to the factory units to make sure they'll be happy with the same frequency range.

Your other option (if that doesn't work) is to buy a solid 4 channel amp and use the stock 2 channel unit to power the dash speakers or a sub. If you're looking for amps, Kicker makes incredible gear for the price, and I would highly recommend their multi channel KX series amps for your application.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 9:35 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We just put a Kicker KX700.5 in our boat and the amp is doing a great job running the 75x4 part of the amp to the 6 Kicker marine speakers ( two channels for front pair and two channels for two cockpit pair in parallel) along with the 400W sub amp going to the 10" solobaric Kicker sub.

We are going to add a second amp, the K600.4 amp to drive two pair of "soon to be released" tower speakers.

By Jason Craveiro (s4inor) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 9:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'm running a 700.5 in the boat and an 800.4 for the tower and I'm really happy with the results. Keep in mind that the RMS rating of the 700.5 is really 65Wx4 + 200x1 @ 4 ohms. But that sub channel is a class D unit, and Kicker it notorious for underrating their amps (my 700.5 was actually rated at 917W and my 800.4 was rated at 1024W).

Bill if you can, I highly suggest you get the KX800.4 for your tower, you'll be much happier with it and the cost isn't that much more.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 7:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Jason,

I'll have 4 (two pair) of the kicker K65.2 component 6-1/2" speakers on the tower. They are rated 150W max, 75W RMS. Do you think I'll be OK with the 800.4 amp?

The 700.5 came with a "certification" sheet that said it was tested to 940W. I did all the installation but had a local person that is well known and was highly recommended to me to do the wiring and clean up. He has done lots of systems but not much with Kicker stuff in a while and he was very impressed. The deck has a sub level but I'm sure glad I ran the remote sub level that came with the amp to the drivers side, it's really nice to be able to control the base.

Thanks for the advice and I'll go for the 800.4, just going to need to be careful about blowing out the tower speakers.

By Phaeton (phaeton) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 7:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill you should be fine. If you can I would run the Kicker RS6 components though. They are killer speakers and you can turn down the tweeters so they are not ear piercing. In the last boat I ran a kicker 600.4 to the tower. I had one pair of Rs6's and a pair of 8" subs. Worked great.
This boat is different and much much louder.

www.Wake-Me.com

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com