Difference between a Pro Air and an A... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Difference between a Pro Air and an Air?? « Previous Next »
By Tommy (laptom) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 11:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've been looking at the DD Air's and I know that there a two difference Air's. A Pro and a "normal" one. What's the difference between those two. I know that the Pro has a different hull with the gap. So in theory the wake should be bigger. Is this true? And if so, should it be wise to buy a '99 Pro instead of a '98 Air?

Thanks!

By Jeff Carroll (skiingjeff) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 12:30 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
The "normal" Air Nautique is based on the Ski Nautique Open Bow. This is how Correct Craft describes the Air Nautique 196 (normal):

Combining the overall platform of the Ski Nautique® Open Bow with Correct Craft's patented Flight Control Tower (FCT™), the hybrid Air Nautique 196™ is the ideal boat for the family that wants it all at a very economical price.

The Pro Air does have a different hull. Here how Correct Craft puts it:

The Pro Air Nautique® combines its award-winning Total Wake Control™ (TWC™) hull with standard Flight Control Tower™ (FCT™), Launch Control System™ (LCS™) and 45" extended tow pylon, offering all the tricks demanded by world-class and serious recreational riders. The innovative LCS™ works with the unique TWC™ hull to add more than 400 lbs. of ballast to the boat's stern by using high capacity electric pumps to fill and empty the ballast tanks.

You will probably get a better answer to your question at...

http://www.planetnautique.com

By DJL (dholio) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 3:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
There is also the air 216 that has the same hull as the sport 216 but with ballast, tower and air graphics. Gives a much better wake than the air 196 which was only made for one year.

By wake_fun (wake_fun) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 3:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Buy the 99' Pro if you are only comparing it to a 98' Air.

By Tommy (laptom) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 2:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks guys,
I should be more clear that I'm only comparing a '98-'99 Air to a '99 Pro Air. Both direct drive, so no 2003+ models.
The "normal" Air looks better with lower hours. But the Pro.... It's a Pro with in theory a better hull, so how much will it differs? Do you notice when you ride behind these boats that the hull is differ or is the difference to small?

I'll also check PlanetNautique, Thanks!

By John Richard (jrichard) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 6:47 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
In 98/99 the "Air" hull was the same as the "Sport" hull (21.3'), not the Ski Nautique Open Bow hull (19.5'). Nevertheless, the Sport hull was marketed as being derived from the Ski Nautique hull because the Sport product was targeted at serious skiers that needed room for the family. By luck, the Sport/Air ends up producing one of the best wakeboard wakes available (IMHO).

The Pro hull was released as CC's first "wakeboard-specific" hull. From the feedback I've heard, it was not as good as the Sport/Air hull. Perhaps further evidenced by the fact that production of the Pro hull was cancelled (after 1-2 years of production...(?)).

I've ridden behind both and could not tell a significant difference. However, I was a relative beginner at the time I rode behind the Pro, so I was not as critical of wake shape as I am today.

If all else were equal and given some of the concerns surrounding the quality of the Pro hull wake, I'd take the Air from a future re-sell perspective.

If you search this board, you'll find quite a few discussions on this topic.

JR

By Trey (trey) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 8:58 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
For what it's worth, I remember hearing details at the time you really had to weight the "hail" out of the Pro Air to get a good wake.. the dealership I spoke to didn't even order the "pro". If I were you I would go with the regulart, but you may want to have both take you out to try the wakes.

By Tommy (laptom) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 10:44 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the advice!!
I've been looking at PlanetNautique and they where saying the same. So I'm not going to look specific at a Pro or regular. Just looking at the best deal!

Trey, thanks for the advice. But I cannot test them both. This is the Netherlands, there are only 2 Nautiques over here! Okay, that's a little exagérer, but we're looking at Nautiques in the good old USA.

Tom

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com