Cold Weather: Hot water Shower or He... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Cold Weather: Hot water Shower or Heater? « Previous Next »
By KStateAlumni(aka Bradley Beach) (bbeach) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 9:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Okay all, with the cold weather approaching I'm considering purchasing either a hot water shower or a heater in my boat. Probably can't afford both right now so which should I get. Which amenity is the most important for cold weather? Which is easier to install?

Thanks for the input!

By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Do both! I just put a shower in my boat and its awesome, and can be done for under $100, check out my DIY write up.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:25 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would go with the heater. I use that all the time. In my last 3 boats, I have had showers and I have never used them.

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use the heater much more. Even on chilly summer nights. I've yet to really use the shower.

By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I bought a cheap 12 volt space heater to warm up with, but a hot shower on your cold face, feet and hands is the shiznit! Putting on and taking off warm bindings is alot easier too! I am putting in a heater for the spring though, they are nice.

By David Williams (wakeworld) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
The heater is definitely the most important and will get the most use.

By Thomas Deneka (tdeneka) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:49 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Shower is more important when the air/water gets really cold. You can always bundle up more if you are cold in the boat. Warming up cold feet, or more importantly a cold vest/wetsuit is far more important in my opinion. When it is extremely cold, a shower is required to soften up the bindings to get in/out!!!

By Mark B. (sickboy) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heater for sure. You don't use a shower too much with a drysuit.

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:50 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heater would be my first choice for sure! I never use my shower... even when riding in the winter here in Washington. IMO the shower is only good for warming up a cold wet suit. Maybe itís me but when it gets coldÖ.we switch to the dry suits. For winter riding itís waiting in the boat for your set when you get cold.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 4:50 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Are you the rider, or the driver?

The heater is sure nice for the driver. Close the windshield, snap up the cover for the walk thru, throw a large towel over your lap and then pull the heater tube out so that it is under the towel..... Driver sure stays warm!

For the rider, the shower is nice. Put the wetsuid on. Get the shower going, water nice and warm. Sit on the back, shove the shower hose down the back of the wet suit, let it fill the wet suit with warm water. Grab the handle, slide into the water, yank the shower hose, out, yell at the driver to get going before all the hot water washes out.

And the shower is especially nice if you have gone once that day and have taken the wetsuit off. Rinse it down with really hot water and it is soooo much nicer to put back on than a cold wet suit.

By airfreak (airfreak) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 6:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heater first.

By Kirk (kirk) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 7:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dont forget... you can use the shower all year long. We use it on camping trips when the facilities are lacking. I was going to post a picture of my wife shaving her legs on the swim platform, but I didnt feel like sleeping in the garage tonight...

We ride all year and use just a shower... but a heater would really be nice when it's freezing. Next boat will definately have BOTH!

By Mark B (markb) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 7:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I'd say a shower first. You can always use a 12volt electric blanket to keep warm in the boat.

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 8:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've got both & if you have to choose, I say get the heater every time (but then I do most of the driving , so maybe I'm a little biased). If you feel like you need to warm up a wetsuit, you can bring a cooler full of hot water to keep the suits in between sets. Both have their uses - the heater will get used more by people in the boat, shower by people getting in/out of the water. You just have to decide which is more important.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 6:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Either would have been great today after the sun went down. Good point on it's a rider or passenger comfort question. Guess that makes them both really important, required improvements for winter riding. Now I just need to sell that to "the department of budget and finance" = (my wife)

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 6:29 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I think the shower issue depends on what part of the country you are in. We go from shortys to drysuits within about a month, so we don't really have a need for the shower and wetsuits. If you are in an area where you ride a lot in the winter with a wetsuit, I could see the value in a shower.

By KStateAlumni(aka Bradley Beach) (bbeach) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 8:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I really hate my drysuit therefore I try and stay in my shortie most of the fall, therefore I think after hearing your suggestions that I will install a shower first. I have a ceramic heater that I can plug into the cigarette lighter to put under the dash and keep warm. Plus i can put on more clothes.

Thanks!

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com