DIY shower install pics & instruction... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » DIY shower install pics & instructions « Previous Next »
By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 1:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
This is pretty much the same as the install on this site just with store bought parts instead of a kit.

First I T-ed into the water intake just after the pump

Next I removed that brass plug that is in my hand from the side of the engine block. You could just put a barb fitting on there and run your hose but I chose to install a 1/4" ballvalve so I could shut off the hot water just incase.

Then I ran both those lines into a regular garden hose Y and put red paint on the hot valve. The adjustment is under my v-drive hatch and once it is set there is not much need for adjustment. If you have a D-drive you could put the valve and shower head in your rear locker for easier access.

From the Y I ran that to the pump, I wired my pump to my anchor light so I just turn on my anchor light to power the pump.

From there I just ran my hose out the back, I couldn't find a cool shower head so I bought a regular sprayer head and that works fine. I think I will buy a plastic thru-hull fitting for the back of the boat to make the install look clean.

I used a 2.8 gpm shurflo on demand pump that I got from west marine for $90, I found them on ebay for $59.

I spent $40 at the hardware store because I had to buy everything. I am sure some of you have most of these parts in your garage and could do this for under $75. It should take less than 2 hours.

I hope this is helpful and I am sure I forgot something so just let me know and I will try to post answers.

By Mark B (markb) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 2:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
thanks for the info....I may have a use for my crummy jabsco "water puppy" after all

By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 2:21 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Is the water puppy an "on demand" pump? If not I guess you could just wire it to a switch and turn it on and off when you need it. For that matter you could probablly use a $17 wal-mart specal as long as it was low enough in the boat and stayed primed. I don't know what the pressure would be like though.

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 2:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Very nice job!

By Wes (wes_the_gimp) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 7:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Awesome! Thanks.

By KC (desertrover) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 11:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Melvinator, just want to say thanks for the excellent write up with pics.

KC

By Matthew Melvin (melvinator) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 6:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your welcome guys, now one of you needs to post a DIY heater for under $200:-)

By KC (desertrover) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 10:12 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is a company with brass hose connects (even the Y connectors or more connections). The plastic ones could be improved upon and will last alot longer for just a few bucks more. They also have brass hose quick disconnects.

http://www.dripworksusa.com/products/hose.html

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com