How to Transfer a boat from Trailer t... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » How to Transfer a boat from Trailer to Blocks? « Previous Next »
By SFVARA SV609 (svfara) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 9:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I want to clean up my trailer and have it painted, but I need to get the boat off it for a week or so. (I don't have a dock available)

I've seen boats sitting on blocks (especially a lot a boat shows)
Seems like it's done all the time, can't be too difficult right?

Does anybody know the best way to transfer the boat from the trailer on to blocks, then back on again?

Any special equipment needed?

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks!

By Jon Manzo (zo1) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 10:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I did this last year to clean the bottom of my boat. You can actually find some good articles by doing a google search.

The general premise behind it is as follows:

1. Lower the front of the trailer to the ground, thus raising the stern of the boat.

2. Block under each side of the stern using cinder blocks and 2 X 4 or whatever. You want to block as high as you can in this step...

3. Raise the trailer back up as high as it will go. This will put the stern of the boat onto the blocks and off of the trailer while the bow of the boat will still be on the trailer.

4. Now you want to block the bow. This should be done at the spot where the keel first become fairly level. You can also use a jack with some wood on it to raise it a bit.

5. By this point, your boat should be off the trailer. You will have to pull the trailer forward until the first cross member of the trailer is next to the front set of blocks. Then, set up another front block set behind that cross member. Remove the first front blocks and repeat as necessary to remove the trailer.

To get the trailer back under, repeat as necessary in reverse.

PLEASE bear in mind that this is a real quick explanation in not much detail (just the basics). Be very careful while using the jacks and the blocks so the boat won't rock and dump on you.

We did this for my boat and a friends 30 foot sailboat in my old garage last winter without problem. Just take your time and all should go well...

By DJL (dholio) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
pay a dealership with a facility to put it in there storage racks. I am not a big fan of crawling under any boat and taking the risk of it falling on me. Or you can get some overheads with big electric motors on them. I like the first idea the best. It is the safest.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have done it in a way similar to how Joe described, except I used a floor jack to raise the boat and then slide the blocks under. I recommend using jack stands as they are adjustable. Cut some 8 inch square pads out of a length of 2x8 to place between the jackstands and the hull.

Here is a trick for the forward jackstands: Since many trailers have a center bar, you can't get a block directly under the keel. Thus, you are trying to place a block on the slope of the hull. This wants to push the blocks off to the side, and then your boat falls.

To avoid this, fasten a lenght of chain between two jackstands. Position the chain as high on the jackstand as you can and still clear the trailer. When you position the stands, place them so that the chain is taught and it will keep the stands from sliding out.

It is a pain, and you need to go slow so that you don't make a big mistake. Lift the boat a little using the floor jack. Set a jackstand in place, lower the boat. Repeat so that the boat is being held in four spots. Slide the trailer forward. It may only go forward a few inches and then you need to repeat the process.

Another option you may want to consider: see if you can borrow a trailer for a few weeks. In my area there are tons of trailers just sitting around empty because the boats are in rack storage or floating.

If you can find one, take your boat to the nearest lake and launch it. Let your family or friends cruise around for a while. Take your trailer home, go borrow the trailer and retrieve your boat.

By bruce walker (bruce) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
When I refinished my trailer, I took it to the Marina and rented a day slip for a couple of days. It was $10 a day I think.

By Joe Hiestand (superairdawg) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 2:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A buddy of mine helped me do what Jon described also when we started work on my old trailer, and MAN did it make me nervous having my rig sitting there on blocks!!

Definitely GO SLOW and take your time!

By Joe Hiestand (superairdawg) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 2:08 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
A buddy of mine helped me do what Jon described also when we started work on my old trailer, and MAN did it make me nervous having my rig sitting there on blocks!!

Definitely GO SLOW and take your time!

By SFVARA SV609 (svfara) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 7:06 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thank you everybody for all your help.

I figured that must be how to do it, but it makes me feel better to hear from people what have actually done it.

By Kent Armstrong (kent) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 4:46 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wouldnt be nervous about the blocks, about 40% of our customers dont have trailers and they are stored this way for the winter months. Jons advice is good. Talk about nervous, im the guy that crawls under the 40ft boats sitting on three piles of crates and removes the stain from the fiberglass!

By SRF (never2old) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 5:11 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Kent,
Just finished the first season that I left my boat in the water and was wondering how you get the water and algie stains removed from the hull? Sure would appreciate some advice.
Steve

By Pierce Bronkite (pierce_bronkite) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 6:10 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
SRF (never2old),

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/78917.html?1062533014

By Kent Armstrong (kent) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 8:15 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Typically we use a pressure wash and scrub with something along the lines of comet to scrub the initial algae and junk off, which leaves the boat surface clean but usually they are stained brown. To remove this stain from the fiberglass we generally use a product called FSR (fiberglass stain remover). Its a blue gel, just scrub it on with a brush, leave it for about 5 mins and viola, no more stain. We also use a mild acid wash as well from time to time, basically its the same stuff you use to do toilet bowls with, just spray it on a rinse. be careful not to get either of them in your eyes, nasty stuff.

By SRF (never2old) on Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 6:04 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pierce and Kent,
Thanks for the info, ordered some FSR and will give it a shot next weekend for the end of the season clean up.
Steve

By christopher bushek (chrispy1) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 4:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
think putting a ski boat on blocks is scary , try a 32ft avanti.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com