"AIR Bags" In your tow rig Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » "AIR Bags" In your tow rig « Previous Next »
By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 8:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
How many of you have air bags in your tow rig?. I have had 2 Truck's with air bags for towing and they work like a charm. I don't us them at all untill I tow the boat. It make's for a stiff ride when there is no weight. I run about 30-50 PSI in the bags when I tow. I tow about 80-90 miles each time I take my boat out. The air bag's make the truck ride so much nicer when towing. I think the Air bags were like $900 dollars installed with the Air Compressor. Money well spent.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 8:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have self leveling on my X5 and Denali XL. Makes a huge difference when everything is leveled out. I have a few friends with airbags on their F-350's and they swear by them.

By ChadB (wantboatnow) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 9:18 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I converted my my rear suspension on my Tahoe from coil springs to auto leveling airbags. The truck always sits on air and rides better then with the stock springs. When you hook up the boat, it automaticly levels out the truck and still rides the same as if it was empty. Airbags are one of the best things out there if you do a lot of towing.

By xxxl wake (swpmwinc) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 9:23 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Could not be happier with mine . I took out all of the overloads and had a new rear spring pack made with the right lift and a softer ride with the same load capabilities.

By Bryce (sandman) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 9:27 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 99 ext-cab 2WD silverado with a set of Slam Air bags with compressor/guage. I got it all at wholesale around $350. Did the install myself. I run about 15-20PSI unloaded and about 60-65PSI loaded. They are the best investment I have made on my truck. Before the bags the back end was way too soft and would bounce around like crazy. I don't have that problem any more

By Jeff Reese (jeffr) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 9:37 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am running airbags on my 2000 Tahoe. I added them this year. The ride while towing is much improved. The biggest difference I notice is on rough roads and while braking on long decents. I do not get any bouncing in the rear from the trailer weight now. I also only use them while towing.

I did not pay to add a compressor… I just fill manually when I am gassing up before a road trip. I have the fill lines on my rear bumper coming through the top holes in my license plate frame. I may add a compressor in the future for convenience. Bags were a bit less than 400 installed and a compressor would have been another 350.

I run 40-60 psi… depending on how much gear I am hauling and if I have lead in the boat.

By Luis (nooner) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 1:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
my navigator has air bags. But they are just factory bags. Still work like a charm

By John R (zigzagsd) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 2:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i added airbags to my 1995 yukon about 3 months ago. found them for $240 and did the install myself in about 2.5 hours. the directions in the firestone ride rite airbags are very detailed and walk you thru it step by step. very easy and it saved me about $150 installation charge.

i didn't go for the compressor - i just fill up before the trip like jeff. they definitely make a difference - we can load down the truck completely.

now all i need is more power!

By John (hyperryd) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 5:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a full airbag setup on my '96 Silverado and I towed my boat everywhere. The truck rode nice even when towing the boat. We loaded the truck and boat for a five day trip to lake Nacimiento, including 150 gallons of gas for the boat in three 50g drums, against the tailgate. I just aired up a little more and away we went. It kind of blew people away when we parked and dumped the air laying the truck on the ground with a boat behind it.

By Geforce (grantmi1) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 5:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
That is tite dood. You needed to post that on the rigs thread. That is so bad ass. Just let it on the ground.

By John (hyperryd) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 8:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Geforce: I put my new rig in the rigs thread. I sold this one a few months ago.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com