Vandalia Lake -- Vandalia, Illinois Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Vandalia Lake -- Vandalia, Illinois « Previous Next »
By Scott Steiner (motoxer) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Anyone ever ride on this lake? I have heard they are not very wakeboarder friendly? I am considering buying some property there and would be interested in anyone from the areas opinions.

By pwork (siuski) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 2:16 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used to ski on the course on the west end. I've moved out of the area (Carbondale), but a kid that goes to school at SIUC I know has a boat there, a tige 21V. He boards there all summer long and is pretty good. The cops know him pretty well and leave him alone. I'm sure it is just like every other public lake, crappy on the weekend and decent after work. My parents live on Lake Sara in Effingham. From my experiences there, make sure there isn't much sea-wall on the lake, or it will really suck. I don't remeber him mentioning sea-wall at all, just look out for it. I'm sure you know the guys at Extreme Power Sports, talk to them about feed back from that lake.

(Message edited by siuski on September 30, 2003)

By Scott Steiner (motoxer) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 4:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks PWORK - I just got off the phone with the Marina operator there. It sounds like they are cracking down on wake enhancement BIG TIME! He said they give out about 20 comp. ski boat licenses a year and that they are starting to inspect them for wake enhancement devices. Sounds like they basically told a couple of the locals with wakeboarding boats to hit the road if they wanted to use any of their wake enhancing features. Major bummer for the locals that went and spent a ton on wakeboarding boats only to get to use them unweighted. I would be interested in talking to the guy with the 21V if you have his number or e-mail.

By Tim Krutz (timmy) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 4:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
load up with people.

By Mark B (markb) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 6:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
From what I understand Hillsboro is doing the same next year. The local heat is coming down on me. :-)Have you looked into Litchfield? Litchfield Lake (Lou Yeager)has quite a bit more development and boat traffic but there may be more too choose from over there.

By pwork (siuski) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 7:13 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Scott-I'll try to get back to you with his email. That sucks to hear. We normally ride down at Kinkaid. Since it is a state run lake, only consevation cops there. They haven't bugged me at all, they normally just pull over the wallys and people who are obviously drunk. I can't see why they only give out 20 licenses a year to ski boats. As far a weight, I guess people coolers etc. would be the thing, I have never like the BU wedge, but would they think to look for it?

By Scott Steiner (motoxer) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 10:57 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I used to keep my boat at Kincaid but its a good 90 miles from StL and the road to get there is pretty slow. Loading up with people and coolers is a nice idea for a mid-summer day but the whole purpose of buying the place was to be able to ride after work and during "off" times when rounding up a boat full of fat chicks and stoners may be more difficult to do. There are other lakes in the area that have property for sale, Vandalia just happened to have a lot of choices available at reasonable prices. No big deal. I've just crossed them off the list of possibilities until I learn more about their long term plan. I'm not going to buy a place where I know I'm going to have permanent static with the local figurehead of authority. I'd still be interested your buddies e-mail though to see what his thoughts are.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com