Trim Tabs? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Trim Tabs? « Previous Next »
By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:09 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hey All,

I'm thinking about installing a set of trim tabs on my boat to fine tune the wake. I've seen three different systems Taps(Tige), wake plate(Skiers Choice), and the wedge(Malibu).

My question is, why haven't the manufactures tried a trim tab scenario? You would think that two trim tabs would provide a more varied ability to adjust the wake shape, and would be great for surfing.

A couple of potential down sides I've come up with.

A set of trim tabs aren't cheap, they cost about $700.00 for a decent set, so I don't want to blow my money.

If the tabs are positioned on the outer corner of each side of the transom would the surface area in between disrupt the wake causing it to wash?

If I have the boat loaded down with ballast and lower the tabs, will it create too much pressure on the transom causing stress cracks, or worse tear the tabs off of the boat?

Ok engineers, let's put our thinking caps on, and help me solve for this.

By Bill (skionone) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:33 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I don't think that tabs on each side of the transom would make that much of a difference.
The TAPS system on Tige only works in conjunction with their hull design. Because they have taken the hook out of their hull, the TAPS works as an adjustable hook.
The Wedge is a system that pulls the back end of the boat down in order to make a larger wake. Not any type of a trim tab.
Not too sure about the system that Skiers Choice uses??
I would invest that money in more weight as I don't think a tab would do anything.

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
For starters, the "Wedge" from Malibu would not be a wise choice on any boat not build to handle it.
Aftermarket Trim tabs are extremelly popular, even "required" on many other types of boats. One of the most popular is Bennet. They have models that can be adjusted from the driver position or via a wrench at the tab.
Do a search and you will find out a lot more about those products.
Some dealers (for certain boats) will offer these installed as an option even on new boats. You probably would only need one to do the job.
I've thougth about this myself.
Good luck

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:48 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've wondered this as well, why not have 2(small) trim tabs as an option on these boats, it would eliminate side to side weight balance problems on these boats completely.

By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 11:55 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bill,

I run about 2000lbs in my boat already. I don't have any issues with wake size but I would like more vert.

Duane,

I know that trim tabs are very efficient for planing purposes. I'm just wondering if they could increase the vert on the wake by pushing the nose of the boat down, or if that would cause the wake to ramp even more?

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cliff,
I think the accepted philosophy on ballast loading is, more weight in the back= more Vert. More weight in the middle/front = Rampy.
The problem comes with getting a heigher Vert, yet still having some phatness to it. This can be a bit tricky on some boats. Also, if you get a lot of ballast in the back, some boats will tend not to plane or will porpose. If that rear load ballast set up gives you the wake you want but can't cruise at a higher speed, a Trim tab would give you the ability to make a quick adjustment that would make the difference. Other sublties in the wake would result as well by making the up down adjustments. But the tab in itself will not likely make the wake bigger.
So in answer to your question, putting the tab down = load the front of the boat, and or lifting the rear. This will have a tendency to flatten or Ramp an already Vert wake.

(Message edited by nvsairwarrior on September 30, 2003)

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 12:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Since I have a Tige and use TAPS all the time maybe I can shed some light on what it does and doesn't do.

Duane is correct that the tab would not provide more vert, it can only push the nose down making the wake more rampy. The one advantage of this is I can have a decent amount of ballast and still pull someone at 19 mph without the wake washing out just by putting TAPS at the 1 position (nose down). The biggest and steepest wake is in the 8 position, since this position allows the back end of the boat to sink more.

For wakesurfing, I set TAPS at 8 and leave it there. Putting it down makes the wake smaller and less steep.

The new TIGE hulls need the wake plate or else they porpoise badly at speeds above about 25mph because they don't have hook built into the hull.

In your case, I think it would be a waste of money. The two advantages I can see are: getting on plane faster/easier, making the wake smaller and rampy for beginners.

By Cliff Griffin (seattle) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 1:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Duane, and Bill,

I thought that might be the case.I already run 60% in the rear, and 40% in the front. I definitely don't want to add any ramp to the wake.

Don't get me wrong, I have a nice wake as it is, but I'm always thinking of new gadgets for the boat that might improve it's performance.

Oh well, maybe it's time for second sub woofer and amp.

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 1:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cliff,
You mean you don't have 2 or more subs already? Definetly, get some more bump!
Or, if you're just itchin to spend some money I'll make you an awsome set of tower speakers!
Good luck.

By Sean M (magic) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 1:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
with all of that room in front of the driver's feet you can do a two for one.

Add some subs up there! You'll get more bump and more wake from the added weight!

By Scotty D (jinxton) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 6:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cliff,
Maybe you can talk with Jeff and you guy's can find some trim tab's to demo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Man I crack myself up sometime's
Scott

By Jeff Guilford (fogey) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 9:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Cliff, I think the issue of two trim tabs has been discussed. It may even have someone from Tige who said that two tabs mess up the wake.

I have the single hydraulic tab that Skiers Choice offers as an option. It definitely does not add any vert to the wake. As others have said, it does just the opposite.

We don't use the tab at all for boarding except if we want to make the wake smaller without draining the sacks (e.g., when trying something while riding switch). However, it works great to eliminate porpoising when going to/from riding spots. It also helped a lot with planing, but I have a new prop so I don't need it for that anymore.

By derek boyer (toyotafreak) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 4:25 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Not trying to kill a dead horse...but my v-drive has a tendency to porpoise without ballast (just a little bit aft-loaded).

It seemed to me that any off-the-shelf trim tabs would work (even the single tab you guys mentioned) to stop the porpoise, but I figured that messing with the water back there could only screw with the wake. I thought back to the v-drive flatbottom days and the full-width, foot-pedal tabs.

I'm not suggesting the foot pedal has any merit for us, but a full-width tab could do all of the positive things mentioned (like staying on plane at lower speeds) without causing parts of the wake to break earlier. Thought that dropping the nose might also help getting across Havasu during the weekend.

I didn't even want port/starboard control, just simple, reliable up and down. One actuator could do it (kiss).

We'll leave that project for when we bust the lotto. In the meantime it's ballast, ride rites and watts.

By Funkster (isaac_d_funk) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 6:37 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It would be cheaper just to add more weight to the rear of the boat!!!

By George Aslinger (mobv) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 7:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Mobius V with the hydraulic wakeplate. It makes the wake much more verticle when the plate is up or much more rampy when down. In additon to eliminating the purposing when running down the lake. Wouldn't consider a boat without the hydraulic version.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com