ford 4 door pickup?? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » ford 4 door pickup?? « Previous Next »
By nacidude (nacidude) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 7:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ok i want a ford 4 door pickup, do i need the big v8 to pull a vlx or what any input or pics.
i think it would be a great camp/lake car

By Bill J (sdboardr99) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 1:01 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a 2000 Ford F-150 Super cab with the 5.4L V8. It tows pretty well but there are definitely times that I wish I had a diesel and all of that torque. It partly depends on how far you tow. It's not a problem towing around town but hauling the boat, 4 people, and all of our gear out to Lake Powell was a real strain on the truck.

By nacidude (nacidude) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 5:52 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
ok so i need that big v8 the 5.2 will not cut it

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 6:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Definitely get the big V8. The smaller one sucks. I've had both, and now a diesel. If you have to stay with gas, I recommend the F-250 with the V-10. If you're open to diesel, get the F-250 PSD. Once you tow with a diesel, you'll never go back to gas. BTW, the new 6.0 PSD is a lot quieter, and it doesn't stink.

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 6:15 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use a 5.4 liter expedition and it does pretty well. that is a big hill to naci though. where do you live?

By nacidude (nacidude) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 5:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I LIVE IN SALINAS AND HAVE A PLACE AT NACI
BUT NEXT YEAR I WANT TO TAKE TRIPS TO MCLURE,DON PEDRO, ECT

By Pierce Bronkite (pierce_bronkite) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 6:41 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I talked about my truck on this thread: http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/84216.html?1065014293

Shawn, doesnt the v-10 consume a ton of gas??

By Grant (whitechocolate) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 8:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
5.8 Supercharged V8 360 HP, Makes getting on the freeway a breeze and climbing the steep hills with 4 people and the AC on No Problem. Think about it when you have you boat behind your truck and it's full of gas people and all your gear and food for the weekend or day its alot of weight. Having a little extra um-fff will never hurt. My friends have Ford f-350's IMO They ride and tow like crap I dont like riding/towing in there trucks (hella bumpy). They dont seem to have any more power than my Harley F-150 now Im sure if we to carry more weight we would see a diffrance, But I dont plan on towning a House, I cant say enough about these trucks for what we do with them They are great
they grey one is my'n the black one is my dad's

By Shawn Burke (02wakesettervlx) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 8:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Pierce,

The V-10 does consume a lot of gas, that's why I went with the PSD. I forgot about the supercharged 5.4. That's the only way I'd go with a gasser again. I agree that the ride in my 250 is worse than my 150, but I'll take the trade off for the power.

I was dissapointed in my EB Expedition, and I only kept it 18 months. My Expy was having tranny issues at 20K miles. The 5.4 was more powerful than the 4.6 in my F-150, but holy sh*t did it use a lot of gas. I was getting like 7-9 mpg towing with it.

PSD's are a lot of fun. Spend a thousand or two on the truck and you can have more fun. Turbo upgrade, exahust, chip, etc, and you can have a truck with like 375 hp, and 750 lbs of torque, that gets good fuel economy.

By Brad G. DeHaan (bdehaan) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 9:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Nacidude, I'm dealing with the same issue; check out the thread "Tow Vehicle Input"

Grant, nice ride! Maybe I should look into getting one of those. How's the towing power when you're loaded down?

By Joe Hiestand (superairdawg) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 2:02 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've got a '99 F150 with the 5.4l and combined with the Off Road gearing, it's only adequate for towing. I've read that the NEW F150 has significant improvements to the 5.4 Triton engine that give it significantly increased low-end torque and overall performance numbers. Not sure if you're looking new or used, but sounds like it could be quite a bit better but not $$ like the diesel and not a guzzler like the V-10.

By Luis (nooner) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 6:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
a supercrew will work great but make sure you get a 5.4 triton not the 4.6. The 4.6 doesnt have very much torque and getting started sure takes alot out of the motor. I have both in the family so I can speak from experience. We have a 4.6l supercrew and it has no torque. So whatever you do. Get the 5.4L it has plenty of power to tow a nice rig.

By Brian N. (ntron) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 7:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have the F-150 and it tow just fine. To it down to kentuckey and back from chicago and performed just fine. Also the new F-150 is increasing the horse power to 300 standard and increasing the torque also. There should be no problem with the new F-150. I had a yukon Denali and was taking it in every month to get fixed and traded it in and I am much happier with my decision. Here is a picture.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com