Personal Line of Credit Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Personal Line of Credit « Previous Next »
By JT (tranner) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 3:48 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I called a bank asking for a boat loan this afternoon and the rep offered me a "Unsecured Personal Line of Credit." Anyone have any experience with this. I'm looking for a $10K loan but most companies won't finance something that low. And if they do, it's some high rate like 11%. Any help is greatly appreciated.

By joe sprague (joeysprague) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 4:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I work for a bank. It's going to come down to how good your credit is and your income, for a personal line of credit, but they can run as high as 16%. if you own a home, you can take out a home equity line of credit (HELOC) for around 4-5%, assuming good credit, depending on the equity you have in your house. the boat dealer you buy your boat should go through a bank who finances the deal, and again, assuming good credit, you can qualify for anywhere between a 5-7% loan rate.

By Brent Huling (captainfreedom) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 5:31 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Definitely do a line of credit on your home instead of a personal line of credit. All interest payments are tax deductable on a home equity line of credit and the interest rate is much lower. Like Joe said, 4-5% vs. maybe 7 or 8% on a personal line.

By JT (tranner) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 6:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
So other than the rate being a bit lower and the interest being tax deductible, I assume there is nothing really too bad about a Personal Line of Credit... please correct me if I am completely misunderstanding this.

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 6:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check with your local credit union. Sorry Joe:-).

By Bruce Thomas (sprucie) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 6:53 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
JT since you are right there, my credit union finances new and used boats, RVs, airplanes etc.
A personal line of credit causes the interest rate to increase because the loan is unsecured. If you finance a used boat try to use the boat to secure the loan to help get the lowest interest rate possible.

Good luck,

By JT (tranner) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 8:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks Bruce, I checked with my credit union and they also finance boats, etc. but they would not finance a boat over 10 years old. I'm looking at a 90 Bu.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com