Motorhomes? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Motorhomes? « Previous Next »
By Kirk (kirk) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 4:07 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
We are looking at purchasing a motorhome for next summer. Might get a better deal on one this winter so we are looking now.. We will be towing our boat with it and most trips will be weekends with just me and my wife. We are looking at Class "C" motorhomes. Any body out there with ideas on makes or models? HP? How about some pictures of matching rigs? We are looking for a used model(1995-2001) and maybe repainting to match the boat. I have seen some nice rigs out there...

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 6:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I learned the hard way that a 27' motor home pulling a 21' boat could not put it in the water becuase of the distance bewteen the tow point and rear axle. It was an outboard and the trailer hit such a steep angle it would hit the ramp. I would think the problem would be worse trying to launch an inboard. Love to know if this works with certain motor homes.

By Dan (gotpwr) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 7:06 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I've borrowed my parents 28' Four Winds Class C a few times and towed and launched my Air Nautique with it and never had an issue. It's a 1996 and has a Ford 460. Most Class C's come with either a Ford or Chevy chassis, with the majority being Fords. The most common engine in a new Ford chassis is the 6.8L V10 which is rated at 310HP. Checkout http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/mini.asp or http://www.thorindustries.com/rv/ for some of the more popular brands.

By bruce walker (bruce) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 6:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I use a truck camper. Have you considered looking at them? Lots of advantages to them over a Class C.

By Kirk (kirk) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 8:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Bruce,
Nice rig! We thought about it but want a little more room and my 1/2 ton Dodge just wouldnt cut it...

By Grant Stewart (elmog) on Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 8:12 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We have a 1989 35' Class A built on a Chevy P-80 chassis. It has a gas 454 with an under-drive. I've towed the boat with it but have always met others at the campsite with trucks that could more easily launch. My neighbor has a hitch on the front of his MH so he can unhook at the parking lot and hook the boat up to the front and drive down the ramp with the boat in front of the MH. Says this makes it much easier to navigate. The gas 454 tows great but I wish it were diesel as it gets 6-7mgp.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 7:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Great idea on the front hitch. Wonder if it's bad for a tranny to pull a boat out in reverse? Any ideas?

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 1:33 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
My dad used his motorhome for pulling the boat all the time. It was sure nice on road trips, especially the long ones. It was a bit of pain at the ramp, but we always got by.

There are several issues:

1) The motorhome is wider than the boat is, and the driver usually can't see out the back window. It is really hard to back up straight, as the trailer is already turning before you can see it in the mirrors.

2) the long distance between the motorhome rear axel and the hitch will cause problems going over any angle change, such as gas station driveways and the top of some ramps. There was one time that we got the motorhome stuck in a gas station driveway, had to jack up the motor home and put boards under the wheels to get the hitch off the ground.

3) The driver is oblivious to what is happening on the trailer. You can't see it, and the motorhome is so heavy that you can't feel the trailer. I was driving one time when the boat trailer blew a tire, and I didn't know it until a passing car flagged me down. The tire was just destroyed, nothing but a mess of cords left.

4) On the plus side, the trailer is following in the slipstream of the motorhome, so it has almost no impact when traveling down a flat road. You will get slowed down when it comes to steep hills, but for the flat stuff it hardly impacts gas mileage or speed.

5) the width of the motorhome can sometimes make it difficult to get the boat close enough to the gas pumps for the hose to reach.

If the ramps are wide and not really crowded you can usually back down and launch with the boat behind. You tend to make a series of zig-zags though. When the ramp was narrow we had a front hitch that we could use, but it was a pain to swap ends. Sometimes we had a second tow vehicle available, and we would use it for launching. At some of the really obnoxious ramps the marina has a tow vehicle that they can launch it for you.

I recommend the largest engine available. And a BIG air conditioner on the engine. Maybe two of them! A rear view camera so the driver can monitor the trailer is a good idea, and you might even learn to back up with it. An AC generator and roof mount air conditioning can be really nice also.

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Monday, September 29, 2003 - 1:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had a '90 Ford 28' Class "C" 460 V8. Started with a direct drive Malibu at about 2,000lbs worked great for the 4 member family.
Stepped up to 3,000 V drive, still did OK except up the hills.
Did blow a tire on the boat trailer and didn't know it like Rod. People used to ask me what kind of MPG I got, it was clearly a case of "It didn't really mater" but sufice to say single digits for sure.
For that reason, if I did it again I'd consider deisel. As far as ramps and such, it's like driving a big truck. Just be patient, pratice, and you'll get it. (putting a hitch on the front for going up and down a ramp doesn't sound to me like a good idea)
My best tip would be to make sure (if you're buying used) make sure it has never had a leak, roof or windows.
OK, why did I sell it? I bought a house with a dock and a Hydro Hoist.
Good luck

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com