How often do you re-apolster (SP?) yo... Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » How often do you re-apolster (SP?) your boat « Previous Next »
By Aaron Lee (aaronlee13) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
i've had my boat for 4 season, and notice the vinyl is getting ripped in some places.. basic wear and tear. How often does everybody redo their interior? how much does it cost.. never done it before?

By offdapeggs (offdapeggs) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I am also curious how much it will cost i have a cpl oj cushions where the stitching is starting to tear

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It really depends on the quality of the original upholstery and the weight of the vinyl. A 20oz vinyl will wear longer than a 12oz.

If it's in generally poor condition, it's time to get it done.

Anywhere from 4-10 years.

By notidad (noti_dad) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 1:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Also how much it's used, how good you take care of it, and where it's used. I've got a 94 Naut with 400hrs used alot in So Cal & Arizona before I moved to WA. Take care of it, don't step on seats/or where the seams are and it'll last a long time. I cover mine with a towel while it's sitting in the sun. Part for coolness when sitting on them, part UV/sun protection. Mine still look like new and show no signs of replacement.

By Duane (nvsairwarrior) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 9:03 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
notidad; How is it that you can operate a tow boat and not step on the seats? I totally understand where you are coming from but to even get the boards of/on the rack in a V drive, you have to step on the seat.
I happen to have the same boat as Aaron Lee and have had issues with the seams on the rear seats. I took mine to the manufacture late last year for an upgrade to the rear hatch and had them replace the rear cushion covers (boat had 500 hrs at the time). I talked/argued with them that the cause was poor venting of the seat cushions, especially when wet. But this fell on deaf ears.
They too said don't stand on the seats but I really don't see that as reasonable in this kind of boat. Even coming from the deck you have to step on the seat to get in.
Oh well, it wasn't big dollars so I just try to keep things dry now.
Aaron, are you looking at a complete re-uphoslter job?

By Jeff Carroll (skiingjeff) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 7:32 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I also have a '94 Nautique, and my interior looks great too. The center rear seat cushion comes out, leaving a step for use when entering the boat from the deck. It works very well.

By KStateAlumni(aka Bradley Beach) (bbeach) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 8:22 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had my observer seat recovered last winter. I ordered the vinyl from Mastercraft and then just took it to my local vinyl guy and he did a great job!

By David D (wakeguru) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would think vinyl should last longer than 4 years if you use a good protectant and cleaner regardless of whether or not you walk on it. 8-10 years would not be abnormal. I just picked up some Starbright Vinyl cleaner/protecter that someone else suggested on another thread and the old boy at the marina said it's a great product. It says it softens the vinyl and that would help at the seams, among other places, to prevent cracking.

By David D (wakeguru) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 11:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Oh, and Notidad - 400 hours isn't a lot of use. Vinyl should be in good shape at that many hours unless the boat sits in the sun day after day.

How many hours do you have on your boat A Lee and do you keep it covered? That doesn't seem like normal wear and tear, but then again I gather you ride like a mad man so it wouldn't surprise me if you had like 800 hrs. ;->

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com