Need Help negotiating on a boat deal! Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Need Help negotiating on a boat deal! « Previous Next »
By Brooks Durham (h20adventures) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Hello guys great site! I can tell there is a lot of knowledgeable people on here as well as tons of very useful information. I have been around boats my whole life, but I am new to the inboard competition boats. My brother and I have decided to start a waterski/wakeboarding school in Southern Oregon so we are currently looking for a competition boat that has lots of open space and storage. We also want a boat that will be very dependable.

Just recently I currently looked at a 1992 Malibu Sunsetter Euro F3. This boat is an open bow, 350 Mercrusier, Extended pylon, dual axel trailer, dual battery w/ switch, stereo with amp, sub woofer, and 6 disk cd changer. Overall the boat is in really good shape cosmetically, but there are a few issues mechanically. The issues that I know of mechanically are that the steering is fairly hard to steer.....I am thinking the steering is shot and the steering wheel is loose. Probably needs a whole brand new steering aseembly kit to cover everything. The second issue is that the blower does not fully shut off. When you turn off the blower it still runs very slowly....not sure exactly why?
Here is a link to pics of the boat: http://www.adamroyer.com/h2oadventures/

What am I looking for is some advice on making an offer for this boat. He listed the boat for $13,500 obo. After test driving the boat I offered him $10,500 as my best offer due to the fact that it has some mechanical problems and that the value of the boat ranges from a low of $10,000 - $12,300. He told me that his very very bottom offer is $11,500. In your guys opinions give me some ideas on getting the best deal I can. Honestly what do you think this boat is worth? What would you counter offer him with? What's the most you would pay for this boat? Do any of you know much about this boat and if so tell me about it. The more thoughts and suggestions you guys have is appreciated! Oh by the way should I get this boat checked out from a mechanic or is that a waste of money? If so what is an average price to have a mechanic look over the boat for compression etc?

Thanks!
Brooks

By Tom Adrian (tommyadrian5) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 5:07 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
If the steering assembly(cable & rotor) needs to be replaced, it will run between 150 and 200 plus labor. The blower is probably just a bad wire, most people don't bother with blowers ever since you can ventilate the engine much better by just lifting the cover, i don't know about carburated engines though i know they need some venting. Get the compression checked by a mechanic, on all cylinders, make sure it is consistent across the board. Tell him 10,500, seeing that you are from oregon the season is probably almost (or already) coming to a close. Don't jump on it just because its there. You have nothing to lose by waiting, boats trade quite often, and unless you get a great deal on this one (10,500) i'd just wait it out, most likely he won't sell it for what he wants and will end up calling you up in a month asking if you still want it.

For comparison's sake, my buddy here has a 1995 Malibu Echelon for sale, showroom condition, with low hours, for 15K. And this is w/bimini, perfect pass wb pro, wedge, skylon extended pylon w/racks, and a bunch of sacs. He might go a little lower than that. I'm not saying its a better deal but just for comparison only.

By Doug Gierosky (d_fresh) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 5:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
This guy sounds alot like the guy I bought my boat from. Make sure the floor is in good shape (wood floor)!!! Check in the walk through in front of the ski locker. The edges of the cut out for the ski locker on my boat were never sealed, and by the end of the first season I owned it, the floor gave thru. Your'e price sounds fair. Walk away and leave him your p#. If he needs the money that bad, he'll be calling you back. As far as the blower running slowly, there is a black box called SIM (?). This is an electronic module in a black box under the dash that illuminates the light for low oil pres and some others, and turns on the blower for a set time when starting the boat. Chances are the FET that switches the blower on is bad. FETs typically short in some fashion when they go bad.

By Barry (barry) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 6:17 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would offer 10,500.... if he doesn't take it, hand him your phone number and walk.

B-

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 6:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Well, for my 2 cents, you need to look at comparable prices IN YOUR AREA. If you're in an area with many boats and inboards, it may be a bit high.

If you're in an area with few boats, you'll have to pay a premium even for a used boat.

In Colorado, you can tack on an easy 1-2 grand just for shipping here. Prices are higher here than on the coast where boats are made.

It's up to you. Is the hull and deck very solid? Is the motor good? Trailer need any work? How many hours on the boat? Visual condition? good or bad?

many things to consider

By NoneYa (noneya) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 6:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
It seems that if you are really starting a ski / wakeboarding school you might need a newer more top of the line boat. If you expand your search upwards in dollars to the mid 20's you can find alot of low hour not too old boats.
For your negotiation since the season is ending you can afford to wait and look more if he doesnt want to come down. Have you looked on www.flipsell.com and www.boattraderonline.com ? There is a nice SN2001 on the frontpage of flipsell for 9K w/ a tower I know those are nice older boats.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com