tangle free rope Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » tangle free rope « Previous Next »
By Jon Mitchell (jon43) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 1:57 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Has anyone used tangle free line hows that work.

By Tracie (mb_girl) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 3:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Regardless of what they advertise, there's no such thing. Some are better than others - I use the Accurate Yellow Jacket & it's better, but you can still tangle it.

By William (sonicr1) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 4:23 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Yeah, I have a Yellow Jacket, and I just found a knot in it the other day, I was SOOOOOO PISSED!!! I can't get it out now!!!

By wake_fun (wake_fun) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 4:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Try laying the rope on your garage floor and hitting the knot with a hammer.

By Troy Lindstrom (troyl) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 4:38 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Wake fun is right, you CAN get even old knots out of the Yellow Jacket rope with a little work.
Been there!

By Jeff (socalwakepunk) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 4:49 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Variation (old sailors trick) - hold the rope so that you can whack the knot against something hard. after about 10 -12 whacks, the knot shoould be loose.

By Ryan Ellis (cwbrider33) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 4:52 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Isn't that bad for my line? i don't want to screw it up?

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 4:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
just a curious question, but why not leave it in?

By William (sonicr1) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 5:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I was just going to leave it in, since I don't want to weeken it

By Thane Dogg (thane_dogg) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 7:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I wouldn't want to leave it in cuz it's just an eye-sore. I've gotten a knot out of my Zebra Jacket after a couple people have used it riding. It actually came out pretty easy. A zebra jacket isn't tangle-free, it's more like tangle-resistant. I'd rather use it than anything else.

By Blabelmooch (blabel) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 7:51 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Ty, not sure about wb lines but knotts weaken fishing line so I can't think it would be good for it.

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 9:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Knots become the weakest part of a rope. Unless it is a special kind of knot which I am sure you did not put in your line. The only way to have a 100% tangle free wakeboard rope would be to use a broomstick

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 6:29 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
makes since. i need to get the hammer out.1/8" spectra is a biotch for knots

By wuneyewilly (wuneyewilly) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 10:46 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Here is a tip for keeping a "Tangle-Free" rope...tangle free.

When you are ready to wrap up your rope, unhook it from the tower/pole and throw that end in the water, holding on to the handle. Drag it at slow speeds. Dragging the rope will untwist it and then you can wrap it up from the handle backwards. The next time you go to use it, it will be as tangle free as possible.

By Rod McInnis (rodmcinnis) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Tips for keeping the rope tangle free:

First off, define the difference between a knot and a tangle.

In order for a knot to get into the rope, a free end has to pass through a loop. To avoid knots, don't let the free end of the rope pass through any loops!

The easies way to end up with a knot is when you take the rope out of the locker and unwind it. If you just grab the end and start pulling, you have a 50/50 chance of pulling the end through a loop in the process. If you take an extra few seconds and back the free end out of the coil instead of pulling it forward you can usually avoid this first knot.

The second way you get a knot is to have the handle end pass through a loop. This can happen if you retrieve the rope and then drop the handle on the top of the pile, or worse, if you move the pile of rope along with the handle. Solution: don't do that! When you haul the rope in, set the handle away from the pile of rope.

A tangle is where a coil of rope gets caught in a loop as the rope is let out. A tangle can be cleared without the need of either free end.

In general, the neater you try to be with the rope, the more likely you are to tangle it. I can haul a rope in as fast as I can and let the rope just lay in the bottom of the boat. When you are ready to ride again, just throw the handle out and the rope will go out without tangles. Unless you tried to move the rope. If someone decides to "tidy up" and gathers all the coils and shoves them aside, you will get tangles. When someone tries to coil the rope up around their arm as they bring it in it will almost always tangle.

If your rope has been disturbed and is likely to have tangles, the best thing is to throw the whole mess into the water and then pull it out. With the rope floating, and a little lubrication from the water, the tangles will often slide out all on their own.

If you are the rider, getting ready to start and you spot a tangle/knot in the rope as the line tightens up, throw the handle away! Once you have put a couple hundred pounds of pull on the rope the knots can be very hard to get out.

By Matt Legge (leggester) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:21 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Sorry but once you have the knot, it's weakend.

Hitting with a hammer may get hte knot out but will damage the fibers. Again, it's already weakened.

By TY-one-on (typhoon) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
so better to leave the knot in or take it out?

By andrew zarlengo (colorider) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would take it out if you can do it by pushing an icepick through the knot itself and try and pry it out. I would try it while the knot is wet. When things are wet then dry, they shrink making the know tighter. When you re-wet it, the knot will be relaxed a little. Not much, but can help. I would not hammer it because that just sounds like it is going to tear up your rope and weaken the fibers like matt said. If you cant pry the knot out with a pick, I would just leave it in and see what happens. Chances are, it will not snap.

By Salmon Tacos (salmon_tacos) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I always wind up my rope around my arm in a figure-8 and wrap the velcro strap around the middle, through the loops of the 8. Then I throw the handle to let it out. Haven't gotten one tangle yet.

The trick is where you put the strap. If you tried to wrap it 90-degrees from what I said, i.e. not through the loops, you'd get tangles for sure.

Of course, loosely laying the rope on the floor as you pull it in works great too. Sometimes you don't want the clutter though.

By William (sonicr1) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:47 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I took mine out today... when I noticed it, the rope was wet (and not to mentione used a few times) and it would not budge. Today, after the rope has been dried for a few days, I wakked it on the ground a few times, thenpushed both ends of the rope together (towards the knot) and used my thumbs to pull the not in the opposite direction, snd it slipped free... viola, no more knot!

When I coil my rope, I secure the rope handle to one side, and the end to the other so I know which end is which. Don't know where the knot came from, my family used the boat without me... they may have done it, but then again I may have done it and didn't notice.

By Monster Tower (monstertower) on Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 7:39 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Great points by Rod, tell all riders if they see the rope caught on anything or a knot/tangle in the rope then LET GO OF THE HANDLE if the driver does not see it and respond in time.

We also pull the rope in and let it lay on the floor then make sure everyone leaves it alone, throw the handle out and we've never had a knot since it goes back out in a "Last In / First Out" order.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com