2000 bayliner 1850lx setting up Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » 2000 bayliner 1850lx setting up « Previous Next »
By gordon markham (gmarkham1) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 7:03 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
have a 2000 bayliner 1850lx with a 4.3l 190 hp merc I/O. I know it is what it is and am not buying a different boat, with that said...

I want to set this boat up with a tower, ballast and whatever else to make it a great multipurpose boat. Right now I run a 3 blade 19 pitch prop with the trim up about 50% and my wake is about 8-12 inches. I have a homemade pylon for now that stands about 8 ft off the deck of the boat. this setup works ok but i want more functionality i.e. the tower with racks, and of course the proverbial bigger/better wake. Appearance however is just as important as functionality, as this is the family boat...

I welcome all suggestions, pics, and any positive input on making this a better ride!

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 10:19 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
sounds like you know what you need to do, buy the tower, then the racks, then some speakers and amps. So many towers on the market right now and dont forget local tower builders in your area (if your near a fishing are), cobia towers are dime a dozen around here

By SFVARA SV609 (svfara) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 5:54 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would suggest buying a new prop such as the Mercury Hi-Five Stainless. It makes a world of difference in handling and maintaining speed.

As for ballast, a sac in the rear and a sac in the front should do. (ballast in the front is very important) I used to run 725lbs up front and 550lbs in the rear.

I had a 19ft w/ 4.3l and w/ballast would throw a descent wake, probably 18"+ or so. With the trim up it was 24"+ and real rampy.
(could only use the trim when real calm or I got a lot of porposing)

I also had an extended pylon which took up a lot of room inside the boat, the tower is defintely the way to go.

Good luck!

By james mccallum (jmccallum) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 7:02 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
18' Four Winns 190 hp stern drive
600 lbs in ski locker 350 against the engine cover
motor trimed up

Loaded like this the PP helps a lot. Next year I'll buy a four blade prop with a lower pitch

PS I know my son uses too short a rope...

By gordon markham (gmarkham1) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 9:38 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
does anyone use any type of automatic ballast, do you bother to hide the fatsac in the bow area with some sort of cabinet and cushion on top?

I have all winter and am trying to think through everything i want to do, so i do it right the first time!

By Phimple (phimple) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:28 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have a Bayliner 2050 and I have hooked up a combination of auto ballast and semi auto.

In the ski locker I have a permanently mounted sac with a pump to fill and one to empty, both Rule 1100.

I also have a Rule 3800 with 2 2way valves so the flow can be reversed hard wired into the rear. I hook up a 2 1/2" hose with quick snap connections up to another sac for the front and one for the back. This allows me to adjust the wake for all sorts of levels. I can fill and empty with the pull of a lever.

I also have lead to move around the boat to tidy up the wake depending on the position of the boat occupants.

I found that you can make do throwing a pump overboard and then turning it around to empty, but its a pain in the arse and its great fun playing with pumps and plumbing.

The only real trouble I had was with air locks in the big hoses I ran. I ended fixing this with a priming pump and a one way valve. I run the Rule 750 to prime the system before I kick in the 3800 otherwise it pumps so fast it just cavitates the air stuck in the system.

By Phimple (phimple) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 10:30 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
oh and as for the sacs,

One is hidden in the ski locker, one in the bow area on the floor and the other just in front of the engine. I only have bladders with no covers and they are fine so far. They are custom sacs so quiet a bit thicker than standard sacs.

By gordon markham (gmarkham1) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 2:05 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
phimple,

where did you hook up your automatic pumps to pull the water from and drain the water?

By david mannery (wakedisco) on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 3:34 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I would agree with the Stainless prop,(Hi five)... talk to a prop shop and have them labb one up. You can get a prop that will pull stumps but you sacrifice top end, you might even have to watch out for the rev limiter. The prop will help hold lower speeds loaded. I know some that have installed Smart Tabs on a boat your size which also helps with quicker planing and holding speeds and keeps the bow down, also better handling in chop. Do a search for Nauticus Smart Tabs. These are automatic tabs, no adjusting (pressure sensitive accuator)

Good Luck,

David

By Phimple (phimple) on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 4:54 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I ended up putting through hull fittings in.

One for the front sac that goes into the ski locker and has a shut off valve on it, the exit I ran a hose out under the dash and exited with another through hull above the water line. You could just dump the water in the hull and use the bilge to empty but I thought that was a little rough.

The pickup in the rear is another through hull with shut off valve. The rear system runs 2 as its high flow. Also using 2 two way valves.

Pic

Valve Diagram

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com