Weighting a 130hp Bayliner, any hope??? Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » Weighting a 130hp Bayliner, any hope??? « Previous Next »
By Joe Roth (jroth97gt) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 6:55 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I have and old 87' Bayliner 1750 capri w/ 130hp i/o. Its in great shape but throws no wake. Would it be worth a try to throw a couple fat sac buddies beside the motor? The boat it only rated at 850lbs, I'd be way over that with just the sacs and 3 or 4 people. I'm puttin in a 7' pole next season, but am hopin to find a way to get more wake (besides the obvious choice of a new boat) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By Darin Cantrell (dirwoody) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 10:09 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
I dunno man, I ride behing a 97 sea ray 17.5 footer and it has no wake either, just get some big boned friends out there

By Bob (bob) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 10:22 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
your going to stress the motor and outdrive and it may not last till you install the pole if you add alot of weight, put some money aside for rebuilding the outdrive or engine when it goes. Problem comes when you add the weight and then have to hammer the throttle to get the thing going

By Darren Yearsley (ralph) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 11:26 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It's all about the pitch of the prop. Get a 16 inch pitch 4 blade aloy prop & start filling the sac. We have a 1950 classic with a 3L and we push 2000 pounds no problems.
Here's an article about the set up with some wake pics etc.
http://www.eurowake.com/index.php?p=64&more=1#more64

By SFVARA SV609 (svfara) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 6:00 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I agree, the prop is very important.
Just get a 4 or 5 blade low pitch prop.
You'll lose a lot of top end speed, but it'll be perfect in the wakeboarding zone.

Then of course you'll have to add some weight.
don't forget to counterbalance the weight in the rear with some weight up in the bow.
It will help the boat plane quicker, hold speed better and throw a nicer wake.

Good Luck!

By Kent Armstrong (kent) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 9:11 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
We did the same thing with a simlar boat and really dogged the hell out of the engine. We were younger and dumber then so we never tried the prop thing, it will make some difference undoubtebly, but it will still be hard on 130hp to be pushing too much weight. we just ended up breaking down and buying our first tige...

By Joe Roth (jroth97gt) on Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 2:42 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Thanks for the info guys. What would a good deal be on a new prop? I know they can be pretty pricy.
Darren: I loved your ski platform, the orginal plastic ones aren't worth a crap. If I'm feelin brave, maybe I'll try makin one.

By SFVARA SV609 (svfara) on Friday, September 26, 2003 - 8:45 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Your right, a new 5 blade stainless will run you $500+ (worth every penny)
You should be able to find a descent used one for about 1/2 that...

Before I got my 5 blade, I used a 4 blade aluminum, (much cheaper) it still improved the performance tremendously from the stock 3 blade.
I would rate the 5 blade twice as good as the 4 blade though.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com