taking on water Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » taking on water « Previous Next »
By steven hattaway (stevenf) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 9:01 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ok i own an 01 xstar im taking on a good amount of water in the hull somehow. I ve heard to check the shaft packing and so on. but how do i go about it? where is it hints at doing it etc. would be greatly appreciated. Also if that is fine then what else could be the problem.? the plugs are in so thats not it.

By face planter (mastercraft1995) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 7:36 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Heater, impeller, or rub rail is leaking from somewhere.

By Chaun Keating (big_poppa_pump) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:24 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
I had the same problem and couldn't find it for the longest time. Turned out the raw water pump was leaking.

It was only a small trickle when idleing so was hardly noticeable on inspection. Ended up getting really PO'd and had someone else drive the boat at about 20 mph with me watching the water pump. Sure enough, there was a steady stream at speed and went back down to a trickle at idle.

Removed the water pump and bearings fell apart. Funny that it was still working perfectly and not making any noise.

By Troy Lindstrom (troyl) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 5:20 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Check hot water shower lines if you have them.
They are always under pressure and have been my source of leak 2x in 5 years.

By steven hattaway (stevenf) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 8:56 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
no hot water shower lines. how do i check the rubrail? i bought some new shaft packing today and will try that in the next day or two any more suggestions???? thanks

By Psyclone (cyclonecj) on Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:59 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
You should have some directions in your owners manual about shaft packing, my Toyota procedure calls for making sure that there is no leaking when the engine is off, and no more than 10-15 drops per minute while the shaft is turning. Adjust the shaft packing incrementally to fix it. Not while it's running and you're wearing a tie

I found another leak in the speedometer collimator tubes which were in the back of the boat, they are gold tubes about 1" in dia and about 1' long. They are directly connected to the venturis on the transom, follow the tubes if you have venturis. I had one side plug up, it froze and ruptured the collimator tube on one side, took me a year to find the leak. If you have paddle wheel, never mind:-)

By face planter (mastercraft1995) on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 9:08 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
You for the rub rail just look at the bottom of it. If it has a gap put some caulking in it. Your boat would always be wet in the same area.

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com