WEIGHT ARRANGEMENT, direct drive boat Log Out | Topics | Search | Register | Edit Profile | User List
Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Moderators | Help/Instructions
WakeWorld Discussion Board » >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive » Archive through November 17, 2003 » WEIGHT ARRANGEMENT, direct drive boat « Previous Next »
By don kerr (w8kbrdn) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 6:28 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
there are alot of direct drive wakeboard boats out there, what have you found to be the best arrangement of sacs in the boat and also the amount of weight used
thanks.}

By Alan (tigeal) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 6:58 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
It depends on the boat make and model. In general you would distribute the weight evenly but some need more in the stern and visa versa. Same with the amount of weight, some can carry more than others.

By Dan (gotpwr) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 7:18 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
In a direct drive you need to add most of your weight to the rear since the engine is in the middle of the boat. I run the factory 400lbs which is in the rear plus a sac in the rear locker which is probably another 400-500lbs. So right now I have a total of 800-900lbs and it is all in the back of the boat. My next step is to add a sac in the in-floor ski locker which is in front of the engine.

By don kerr (w8kbrdn) on Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 9:41 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
dan(gotpwr) you had said you were going to put weight in the locker, is it better there or can you just put it on the floor above the locker. does i make any difference other than being in your way ?

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 6:31 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dan, put a Skylon locker sac in the ski locker. They weigh ~ 600 lbs and it really firms up the wake. It also makes the boat really easy to drive compared to having all the weight in the back.

We do the same as you in the back. Stock 400 lbs plus a 500 lb sack on top. Total weight is around 1400+ pounds without any being visible. Then if you want to go bigger you can put sacks around the engine and on top of the locker or in the bow.

By Sean M (magic) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 7:20 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don, I have a 2001 Calabria Cal-Air with ~1,600 of ballast.

For wakeboarding I weight it with:
Stock 700# water - This in from the rear to about the front of the motor cover.
Under the bow seats, ~200# lead
Under the observer's seat, 65# lead and ~70# in stereo (sub/box amps, battery...)
Under the driver's seat ~100# lead
Either side of the motor cover set towards the rear, 190# (380# total) lead
In the rear lockers, 20# worth of anchor and chain and #100 lead.

Add 30 gallons of gas in front of the motor and three people in the boat with one riding and it throws up a clean, hard and step wake pretty far back.

I found in my Boat, I like most of my weight, centered and bit foward. I due have a wake plate that is set let the stern down.

By NAW (ripr) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 10:10 am:    Edit Post Delete Post
'99 MC Prostar 205

550 in the trunk
350 on each side of the motor
200 in the bow

Plus people.

By Dan (gotpwr) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 12:17 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Don, I don't think it matters whether you put the sac in the locker or on floor, I just don't like tripping over sacs.

Greg, Thanks for the suggestion on the Skylon locker sac. I've been looking for a sac sized to fill up the ski locker.

By Jonathan French (rock_n_boardin) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 1:24 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
03 Tige' 22I

350 sac in each back locker 700# total
500# sac in the open bow

beer cooler 500# just kidding LOL

I am looking into getting lead for under the bow seats and for the storage area in front of the drivers feet "behind my sub box" and the observer seat storage area, so I can eliminate the open bow sac, that takes up room, and be able to move the weight around some if I need to. That will have 1200 to 1500 all hidden. Plus people

By Greg Davis (vortech347) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 3:36 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
Dan, no problem. It's a little pricey at $150 but fits the locker perfectly. Nautiques have a narrow bow walk through so you can't even fill up a 350# side sack full.

By ryanm (itsinthahole) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 4:40 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
sean, you got any pics of your wake? and the boat actually. love the calabrias

By Sean M (magic) on Monday, September 22, 2003 - 5:43 pm:    Edit Post Delete Post
ryanm -- Here ya go

This is pic I took of Phaeton's Phat Boy wake (same as my boat)

asfdda

Here is a pic of my boat from early last winter

dlgf

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use
WakeSpace is owned by eWake, Inc.
Copyright © 1996 - 2008, All Rights Reserved.
WakeSpace@WakeWorld.com